Agnostic.com

17 4

How did Russian know what to put in their Facebook posts?

Did you ever wonder how Russians would be able to tweak the opinions of US voters? I was thinking targeted reserach would have been needed - but I thought it was them. Not now - it looks like worst spys are Americans - what do you think? [theguardian.com]

jeffy 7 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Rolls eyes
Russians had NOTHING to do with election fixing🙂 That is jsut an excuse from the loser Hilary as she blames everyone and everything apart from herself for losing.

Even we in the UK (52%) of us despise the woman-in her view we are the Deplorables' as we voted for Brexit😀 next she will blame Alien conspiracies for her losing the next election-Hilary move on you lost get over it-lead a happy life.

All the evidence suggest the Russians did have something to do with shaping people's opinions, hacking the emails, etc. They own Donald so it is quite plausible they wanted him to be President. Donald certainly loves Vladimir.

The Guardian is great!

No it looks like Russia to me and all those following this story, Russia propaganda has been successful in the US. We now have 1/3 of our population believing Hillary is a child sex slave trader. These are the people that helped Trump identify targeted segments of the market. Russia recently hacked our military computers and followed up with an invasion of our electrical grid and water . We remain debating who is behind this and yet our elections are just around the corner

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 20, 2018

Right Now... I am More Concerned with the Bombs in Austin Texas than what russian intelligence been doing with our data. That is Old News as far I am concerned. All I am saying is... Fucking Again... FOR TWENTY YEARS ALL I DID WAS TRAIN TO FIGHT THE RUSSIANS, I retired and moved to DC/Maryland... and what did I found? DC/Maryland Full of russians or former russians. My first GF a former russian... my next one american in partnership with 2 former russian couples. What are former russians? Natives of the Ukraine or Belarus for example. When you are a member of an empire your enemy today will be your friend tomorrow and your friend today will be your enemy tomorrow. At the american pace of learning the truth... I will be telling my grandchildren that crap in a decade or two from now.

rmer russians couples

YUP

All you have to do is read about how the Russian Troll Farms actually worked. Your ignorance is no excuse.

Ouch, but deserving he, he, he, ha, amerikkka been living in a bubble for too long. After 9/11 shouldn't be any excuses.

Excellent and informative. Also enraging. Thanks.

I read about this today. ”if you want to fundamentally shape a society you first have to break it.” The thing we all forget is that technology has several sides. The most immediate side is that it allows more people to live within a specific resource base. We all know inventions can be used for good and for evil. The militaries of the world prove that all the time. The digital technology, to me, is like nuclear energy. It can do a lot of good but it can destroy the whole world. Way too many people put their whole lives in their cell phones, Facebook accounts, Twitter, digital games and on and wouldn’t have an idea what to do if the digital media disappeared. I am glad I live on an island and minimize my time with this ‘new technology’. It’s like credit cards; many of us learned to handle money before credit cards and do very well not depending on them. Many are in a debt that they wouldn’t be because of credit cards. The formula for population Impact is I (impact) = P (population) X A (activity) X T (technology).

Skepticism is the key and a lack thereof is probably why the religious support the things they do.

It should also be noted the West is just as guilty as other countries. We have the better technology and the most talent. It could come from anywhere and anyone, even here on this site. Should we be just skeptical of things we are against or should critical thinking involve our own notions?

There is the observation people are less skeptical of things within their realm of trust. This type of research makes propaganda messaging more familiar and trustworthy. Then it is a matter or repetition and there you go, Trump is a Hero to otherwise nice people. Insidious.

Your computer and cell phone is a personal data collection tool. There are companies which collect everything you see and do on-line and use it to manipulate your buying habits and opinions.
[motherboard.vice.com]

Russians are as adept at manipulation as any authoritarian government is, pick a boogie man that looks different from your targeted audience and blame that boogie man for all their problems, and you have the formula that has empowered totalitarians for millennia.

Nothing in that article indicates that the information about Russian interference compiled by every U.S. intelligence agency is wrong.

If you really want to know what country had historically waged the most effective espionage campaign against us, it's Israel.

JimG Level 8 Mar 18, 2018

I thought "They Went to Jared"

??

@jeffy Jared Kushner. Trumpy's son in law. Spoof on that Jewlery commercial

@Rudy1962 lol yeah,for sure!

I think you are right.

the Russian bear was only playing dead. Even tho the wall fell in 89, they never stopped spying or trying to overthrow democracy. Instead of tanks and guns, they are using computers and beating the snot out of western countries.

CS60 Level 7 Mar 18, 2018

Think trump's henchmen in IT were responsible for editing FB.

I suppose they browse Fox News and Breitbart for ideas on how best to destroy the United States and go from there.

"The Russian Conspiricy" were con artists trying to make an easy buck. They just got tagged for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The conspiracy is smoke and mirrors, something to whip up fear by the gun lobby to sell more guns.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39266
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.