Agnostic.com

23 1

If you could be safely frozen for 500 years and then thawed out - would you?

Of course all of your loved ones would be gone, and maybe you awake to chaos, but to see the future...I think I would.

gater 7 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes! Trump would not be president when I "woke up"

I think I would. As I’ve gotten older, I do think about things now and wonder if I will still be around to see them. The town I live in is growing incredibly right now, and as I drive through and look at the changes, I think to myself that I probably won’t be around to see how things end up and that makes me a little sad. I would love to see all the changes that are to come there and everywhere else in the world.

No way! I've seen Idiocracy.

I'm buck rogers..get me outta here

Im surprized by all the no's, I thought there would be more curiousity about the future

gater Level 7 Mar 19, 2018

I have a very positive belief about the future - in 500 years I predict the world will be at peace, no crime, no hate. Technology will take care of mankind for the most part and they will be free to travel, play sports, have gardens etc - a real paradise - and Id love to see it.

gater Level 7 Mar 18, 2018

Wow things are such a mess right now..perhaps I would. But the worry about how I'd fit in 500 years from now. Culture shock might be a bit much.

Future Shock - nope. [en.wikipedia.org]

May be very interesting to do

The coolest part of it is that it would be immediate - close your eyes and wake up 500 years later. It might be better to take baby steps, start with 10 years? see how that goes 🙂

gater Level 7 Mar 18, 2018

No. Why would I? I would know no one, have no connections to the current state and would be deeply lacking in the knowledge gained in the interventing time.

I don't think I would. It would be facinating but if a person from 1518 just appeared I think they would have a very difficult problem assimilating to our way of life. My worse fear is that the future would be a world like 'Idiocarcy'... 😉.

I've seen the movie Idiocracy. So that is an astounding NO! It started as a comedy and ended up being a documentary...

Roman Level 5 Mar 19, 2018

I don't think so. Not just for the sake of doing it.

If there ws a known process to actually revivie persons who were frozen, and I had an illness that was likely tofind a cure in that time, then probably I would... if I coudl afford it.

I suspect tht if technology is ever developed to do that, it will only be avaialbe to the very rich.

There is a book series that strts with "The Unincorporated Man" which is aobu ta rich guy who freezes himself becuse he was sick, and he is unexpected discovered by accident by a very changed society. I thought it was a very itnerestign concept in what they did in creatign a new society, although I foudn the society itself appalling.

Absolutely yes

No, the world is much worse now than 500 years ago, I thinik in another 500 it will not be at all safe.

Really? - Sudden or premature death was common in the medieval period. Adults died from various causes, including plague, tuberculosis, malnutrition, famine, warfare, sweating sickness and infections.

@gater Ahhh, you are only thinking of humans. But even there, 25-30,000 kids a day die now, mostly from starvation That is a lot of extra suffering. So much water is undrinkable, so much farmland unusable and the population increasing exponentially.

Nope..

I’ve a good life for the most part and I hate to have it end but everything eventually comes to an end. So why fight it.

I am not sure our global civilization / mankind will last that long. So, no.

And miss out what is going to happen next week?

probably not.

No, thank you.
When my time on this rock is over, it's over.
I have no desire to extend it past it's natural expiration.

Probably not would probably be overwhelming my knowledge be obsolete

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39399
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.