Agnostic.com

9 0

This is why I hate technology

I decided to walk to the doctor yesterday. Healthy, right? A nice sunny morning.
By the time I got out, it was pouring rain. When I got home, I discovered my phone was wet. No problem; it's an expensive piece of electronics, surely they made it proof against some rain, right? Wrong. It began acting funny, opening and closing programs, refusing to turn off, then refusing to turn on.

Eventually I looked up (on my laptop) the trick of taking it apart and putting it in a bag with some dessicant gel packs; lucky for me I went to the pharmacy the same day and had some fresh ones on hand.

I wished to tell a friend who I only chat with by text message of my dilemma. She's on Instagram. Aha!! Not aha... you can't send messages on Instagram via their laptop version. For no reason I can detect. It's a cut-rate version of something they intend for use on phones only. Why? Who knows? Why doesn't the same program do the same thing on every platform?

I hate technology. When it can be destroyed by a little water, what use is it?

Paul4747 8 Aug 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I got caught in a downpour a couple of weeks ago and my phone was ruined. No big deal as I still use a 3G Blackberry and I bought a new one for £18 and a little leather pouch for £2 which will hopefully protect it in future.
I only use it for calls and texts and wouldn't recognise an app if I tripped over one.
I feel a bit sorry for people who are lost without instant access to the world through there expensive smartphones.
I was toiling up a forest track on my bike recently and was almost hit by a young woman coming the other way at speed holding on to the bars with her left hand and holding her phone with her right hand.. A serious accident looking for a place to happen.

I save my desiccant, it can be reheated and recharged.

Good tip. If I saved the packs out of all my medications I would have a mountain by now.

@Paul4747 3 lb coffee can, it was something I learned working on bombs. We had to change the desiccantevery 3 years in the warhead, the tech order had the procedure to recharge, but we were prohibited from reusing the bags on the weapons.

They weren't designed for water almost all electronics are vulnerable to water unless specifically designed to resist and those are expensive. Plastic baggie can protect phone good case for laptop

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 27, 2019

My $15 Casio watch is watertight like a duck's bottom. Why can't a phone be just as good?

@Paul4747 mine too but simpler electronics requiring little outside input new phones are just computers

I assume u just hate phones ?

Frankly, I may have been born in the wrong decade. I would have fit in better in the '40s, with phone booths and fedoras. And everybody smoked all the time.

Or maybe the Middle Ages- troubadors and knights (even though I hate horses; maybe I could have been a footman).

I think technology peaked with the microwave pizza and the PlayStation. Everything else, you can toss on the garbage pile as far as I'm concerned.

@Paul4747 🙁 I need and I rely on tech to deliver diagnostics and treatments for sick people . I use insane amounts and types of daily , and if high tech was to be removed from the picture two thirds of my patients will die and one third it might recover if lucky and in double the time . 🙁

@Pralina1 We obviously have different perspectives. Technology in your your work is vital, whereas in my work technology is a bloody nuisance. The surveillance cameras that supposedly enable us to provide added security and monitor inmates, instead 95% of the time are used by the higher-ups to say, "You were 1 minute late making rounds that day last week- right after breaking up that fight. Dammit, you have to make sure you get the rounds done in 30 minutes or less!"

Perhaps you just hate select technology? I assume you posted this post via a laptop/PC/smartphone/tablet and this website uses the internet and other tech to function.

I hate the laptop as well. It constantly does inane things which I did not tell it to do, like the way it moves my cursor out of the typing screen. Why? What the hell did I touch this time? Did I brush against the touch pad again?

There's supposed to be a way to use the pad to scroll on a page, but I can't do it. I enabled it 20 times, but it doesn't work.

And don't get me started on how many times I've had to manually restart my modem connection....

So, no, I hate technology indiscriminately, until it's advanced enough to do what the hell I want it to do.

(Actually, Windows 7 did what I wanted it to do, as far as software. Then they went to Windows 10 and screwed everything up again.)

Compact disc. That's a technology I can love.

@Paul4747 CD's?? Really? Those tiny shits that the tiniest scratch or dust would completely damage the CD and you'd need to completely rewrite or buy a new CD of songs/data?! NO thanks! The USB is superior to the CD in many ways.

Did you read that they will stop doing software and virus updates for windows 7?? So if you are still using it you will be out of luck.

@demifeministgal Yes, CDs. No hunting through a bunch of playlists for the song I want. Put it in the slot and it plays. Like a 45rpm with 20 songs on it. The perfect musical technology for the road trip.

I know, they haven't supported Win7 for years. It's irritating as hell. It's a better system. Win10 makes the menus seem like a cell phone on your computer. Which was their goal, of course, but I dislike it.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. They could make it waterproof. They won't.

Money. You can't even get to the battery in an iPhone. And you need a special set of ear buds. With android you can use generic ear buds for about five bucks. And I can pop my battery out when it's acting up and that usually fixes the problem.

Finally connected with an atheist buddy of mine last night, in person.. Seems his smart phone’s acting up, too. I forget why, but he wasn’t all that happy with technology either 🙂

Varn Level 8 Aug 27, 2019

Make a note of the brand, and never again buy it. Then, wrap the new phone in a plastic bag!
P. S. My phone is a Cubot Power, but being made in China it may be an endangered species on the USA. 🤣😂😄

Shouldn't matter. Any phone should have some 4 cent O-rings to keep the water out.

@Paul4747 "Should" have, indeed!
"Would" have is an entirely different matter.

My Moto G7 isn't waterproof but it can stand rain without being damaged.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:394559
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.