Agnostic.com

14 24

Assembling a new sewing box for my daughter.

When Claire was 16, I spent $80 on a sewing box for her. Claire's left-handed dad, an artist, raided it. He took her left-handed shears ($50) and the seam ripper to mark clay projects.

Claire's old sewing box fell apart after multiple moves in her 20s.

Today I put together a new sewing box for Claire. Spent $100 I won for my story in The Good Life magazine. Razor-sharp, left-handed shears cost $55. With coupons, I saved $25 on the total purchase. I threw in my extra, left-handed pinking shears and thread.

I will get her craft needles, too.

To my delight, Claire, 29, wants my old sewing machine. "It's sentimental," she said. "I feel thrilled and honored to have it."

"I love falling asleep to the sound of your sewing machine, Mama," Claire said as a child. "Because of it, I sleep with a sound machine now," she said last week.

I will teach Claire to sew. It warms my heart.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My father trained as a tailor and made trousers for me as a child and a suit for my brothers wedding when I was 12 ... I learned to sew on a button, and now regret not learning more ... Just cost me £750 for a new suit .. and I provided the length of mohair

Today I added craft needles for Claire.

a worthwhile and rewarding project.

You're a great mom!

That is super ! It's great when parents are interested in teaching their children useful skills , and giving them the basic tools . Shame on hubby , for stealing fabric shears , especially left handed ones . Off with his fingers ! ! !

Linda says that that's an awesome kit you put together! She's, among other duties, the sewing matriarch of our extended clan. Linda keeps an eye peeled at auctions for several types of Singer machines. The Rocketeer & the 500 are, according to her, the best basic machines for sewing. All metal, heavy duty, and durable. We've currently five here at our house that I've reconditioned and have complete accessory sets for. Anyone in our clan who wants one needs only to ask. Most of the "2nd generation" (millenials) have them. Some third generation folks are expressing interest. A basic life skill. We salute you for passing it on to your daughter!

@bigpawbullets

Thank you for showing it to Linda. It's nice to know she thinks it's awesome.

Claire would not know what to get.

A great story! It's nice you had that impact and passed on the skill!

I grew up with my mom sewing most all my shirts, vests and jackets. I can remember in some cases going to the sewing center with her to pick out the patterns I wanted. I can remember kids offering money to buy some of my more elaborate shirts.

When Home Economics rolled around in the 7th grade, I had my choice of cooking or sewing. I was one of the few guys who opted for sewing. This was the day of platform shoes too... I remember I sewed a dashiki and a sport coat and took an A in the class.

When my mom passed away we took special care to keep her sewing stuff together. She still had 4-5 projects floating around on the top of the machine when we cleaned up.

I keep a sewing machine in my basement for certain projects like window treatments and valance covers.

What a trip down memory lane! 😉

What a wonderful story

That's great! My wife taught both of her daughters to sew when they were growing up, but it didn't stick. When they need something sewed, they bring it to Mom.

Beautiful sewing box assembled with love and care

@RoyMillar

Thank you.

Your so very welcome ,well deserved

I don't exactly have a sewing box but when it comes to a sewing machine I still can I operate one of them without sowing my fingers together.🙂

I like to dream, yes, yes
Right between the sound machine
On a cloud of sound I drift in the night
Any place it goes is right
Goes far, flies near
To the stars away from here

Sorry, but when I read "sound machine" it took me right to Steppenwolf, Magic Carpet Ride.

Nice. Keeping something you loved when your daughter was young & left handed, to reignite is special. Query? Do you require a date to be left handed or are you ambidextrous in the dating scene?

@ChurchLess

Silly you! I don't require dates to be a leftie like me.

I grew up in a family of six left-handed musicians and artists.

I married a left-handed artist, Terry. Our daughter is left-handed, too.

@LiterateHiker Well, you lean lefty in politics and... My son's a lefty & was complaining in school about the difficulty of writing cursive. I reminded him often when he played baseball he's one step closer to first base. The drag bunt towards the third baseman is almost a sure single. There are advantages.

Cool

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 29, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:395473
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.