Agnostic.com

32 9

Saying "You're too fat" is rude. "You're too thin" is okay?

"You're too thin," the man who sharpened my sewing shears said today. I had just come from the gym where a man said, "You look great." Whiplash.

Too thin for what? His sexual preference? I'm a great hiker.

"I'm trying to gain more muscle," I replied resignedly. Have heard this my entire life.

I have a classic Ectomorph body type: fast metabolism, hyperactive, narrow frame, low body fat, small chest, gets full easily, hard gainer (muscle and weight). I like my little body.

"You eat a lot when you're hiking," Karen said this week. "I burn a lot of calories hiking," I replied. Inner eye roll.

I would never say, "You're too fat." He complained that he needs to lose weight each time I saw him.

Photos:

1. Age 24.

2. Age 65.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think sometimes it's intended as a sort of backhanded compliment. I still feel it's rude either way.

Either comment is not needed or appropriate, especially in situations where one’s appearance is not relevant. I’ve gotten, “Don’t you eat?” , a few times. I’m not even that skinny. Well, yes, in fact I’m a bottomless pit when it comes to eating.

Something I hate the most hearing about is the concept of “real women”. Apparently women who are fit, athletic, model-like, etc. are not considered “real women”. Most of my friends, clients, relatives, are not of my body type and I’m often made to feel like I’m not “normal”. Many assumptions are made about my abilities (eg. I must not be able to lift heavy things). My former boss mentioned to someone that she worried a little 100 lbs thing like me wouldn’t be able to lift a big old dog who kept soiling himself into the tub to wash. I’m actually closer to 120 lbs (a lot of muscle weight) and I can lift 100 lbs if I have to.

If there’s anything I truly despise it’s people being judgmental about another person’s appearance!!!

I find fit, strong women exceptionally appealing. Think CrossFit. Oh my.........Any kind of fitness makes someone more appealing. It signals health, discipline, focus. In a country (US) where 2/3 of the population is overweight or obese, it is sadly ever less common.

I am with you on this one, body and mind!
I have been "too thin" for very many over the years!

I have no need to comment or criticize anybody's body...unless she and I are considering an intimate relationship. Another word for that might be "dating." She will have wishes and preferences about appearances and body type. And so will I. Other than that, I have no agenda.

I can only wonder what he was trying to accomplish with his comment. You're obviously quite active and certainly not a child. Was he trying to take a dominant role in your interaction?

My first thought is that he might be a little intimidated by you. Lol.
You may be more confident than he's used to. If the best behavior he can respond with is some negging (do they still call it that?), it doesn't speak well for his self image. Ha, ha.

You are beautiful, just as you are. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you so much.

You are a strong, active, healthy woman - doesn't get much better than that, no matter the size!

@tinkercreek

Thank you, dear! I appreciate you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:396353
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.