Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK Things I Didn’t Know – Note To My White Self

Most of this I didn't know and I thought I was pretty aware.

HippieChick58 9 Sep 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Could it be that white privilege is allowed so that poor white people can feel superior to colored people. Thus allowing them not to come to the realization that they are actually being treated in a similar manner if they push for something netter. It becomes a way to keep us separated and thus keep us down, but allow us to feel better.

When you become aware of Your Own White Priviledge it's horrifying..at least I was..it's so deeply ingrained in our culture that we're oblivious to using it on a daily basis. I am doing my best to root it out, it truly is insidious.

I am ashamed of the times I pulled the white privilege card. It wasn't often, but often enough that I have some cringe-worthy memories. I think I do better now.

@HippieChick58 the worst thing is knowing it's a 2 way interaction.. P.O.C also subconsciously adhere to the White Priviledge status quo..

If you did not know it, you were not an educated person who was actually reared in the South. We knew those things just like the vast majority of Germans knew about the death camps late in WW II.

I grew up in the middle of the USA, 150 miles west of where I am now. The more I learn, the more I realize history has been literally whitewashed.

@StarvingArtist sadly it still plays out daily..

@HippieChick58 have you read The Peoples History of America?..It's truly enlightening.

@StarvingArtist unfortunately I am..

@Charlene I did! I fell in love with Howard Zinn. I read it just a few years ago. Found out two of my kids read it in High School. No wonder the older two are such smart, liberal spitfires!

I learned a number of things; thanks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:396947
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.