Agnostic.com

34 16

Risk rescuers' lives for people who refused mandatory evacuation?

Over 800 stubborn people in North Carolina's Outer Banks foolishly decided ride out the storm aka Hurricane Dorian.

Now they expect to be rescued. How much of an obligation do our first responders have to risk their own lives in an effort to save people from their own stupidity?

Let people experience natural consequences of their decisions. Rescuing them encourages others to defy mandatory evacuations.

[hotair.com]

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not opposed to invoking your point of view as a rule of law. However, I do think it should be made clear via PBS etc that this policy is in effect.

I say this, because far too often, officials will evacuate an area in "an abundance of caution". There is always some judgment involved. However, if you should choose your judgment over an official "abundance of caution", you should be on your own.

I am pleased to see this question being asked. I understand wanting to stay with your home and possessions but there comes a point where the line must be drawn when it comes to first responders and their safety. If you want to remain on your property but do so at your own risk and not at the risk of others.

@patchoullijulie

Thank you.

Not, don't risk the lives of first responders.

@Robecology You are totally copping out by using WORLDWIDE data to justify your luxurious beach bum lifestyle that is partially subsidized by the rest of us in America. The fun in the sun Florida lifestyle is NOT the same as fishing villages in the Philippines, India, Bangladesh, Southeast Asia, China, Japan and elsewhere... And you KNOW this. You are cherry picking your data to bolster your weak argument. My home and car insurance rates go up, not because of hurricanes but because selfish people rebuild and replace their beachfront hangouts, vehicles and yachts, awaiting the NEXT hurricane... One every 2.68 years in your case in Fort Pierce, Florida! FEMA uses federal money via our taxes! My electric bills go up when fleets of Dayton Power and Light utility trucks and crews go to Florida and other states to restore YOUR electricity. Can You Hear Me Now?

I say give them a chance to learn from their mistakes. It's our compassion that allows us to rise above the brutality of natural selection.

Absolutely agree. The big problems are that what about those that are unable to leave because of a physical or mental issue. Also, if a person is left behind and injured or even dies what's to keep them or their family members from suing the first responders?

@JackPedigo

Some states, including New Jersey, California, New York and South Carolina, have passed legislation providing for criminal sanctions for failing to obey an evacuation order.

Although a person refusing to evacuate may be civilly liable, the rescuer, on the other hand, will not be subject to liability in an emergency situation. First, by failing to evacuate, the person in danger has assumed the risk of any loss, injury or damage that may occur. He or she, therefore, cannot take any action against the state or emergency responders for failure to rescue or for any damages that may occur as a result of an attempted rescue. Moreover, many states have adopted emergency management acts that give responders immunity in emergency situations.

"When a person chooses not to evacuate in light of mandatory orders to do so, they risk their lives as well as the first responders, who may need to rescue them. Typically, a Storm Rider changes his mind after ignoring the evacuation order and realizes the gravity of the forecast.

According to New Jersey Governor, Chris Christie, Storm Riders were “stupid,” “selfish,” and put first responders in danger. The National Weather Service even sent the following warning to those considering not evacuating: “THINK ABOUT THE RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RESCUE YOU IF YOU ARE INJURED OR RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE.”

"Despite warnings, however, many residents chose not to leave their homes. Their failure to evacuate raises the potential of both criminal and civil liability."

[fromthesidebar.com]

The local and state governments should set up hotlines (and probably already do) that these people and/or their families can call to arrange evacuation before the storm hits. As someone mentioned, typically what happens is someone who ignored the evacuation order realizes too late the gravity of their mistake and then tries to leave putting themselves in even greater danger.

I think it's not easy to put ourselves hypothetically in their shoes. I can understand why someone may decide to ride the storm. A lifetime of build memories is not easy to leave behind I guess. Again, is not our case, we are not there. They took their chances for whatever reason, some could be very real. Not everyone can jump ship at short notice. People with health condition for instance, etc etc. Don't be so hard on them, I think it's safe to say that we don't know their story.

Rescuers are paid by the city, state or federal government.. I pay taxes... If I need help, they better come..
If I don't pay my taxes, they come for me, right?
Well then, since I do pay, they should also come...

Quite a number of people involved in rescue missions are volunteers.

@Holysocks OK... They help for reasons of their own... I don't think they would leave anyone stranded because they were stubborn...

@Cutiebeauty
You're right. It's a bit selfish for stubborn people to put them at risk though.

@Holysocks no, volunteers put themselves at risk for the benefit of others who need their help... If someone chooses to stay put, that's their decision... Just like it's anothers decision to volunteer... It's dangerous work...

@Cutiebeauty
And unfortunately, stupid people put everyone in dangerous situations all the time.

it is unfair...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:399190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.