Agnostic.com

87 10

Why do men get so mad when they get rejected?

This is probably already a question circulating but I thought I'd ask myself.

I see this all too often, when a guy PMs a girl with some sort of compliment or come on, and girls can be as sweet as ever with their let down that they are not interested and the guy will come back with profanity and put downs, calling her ugly or fat. I don't get it. Please explain.

valerina 7 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

87 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They've been humiliated and do not know how to walk away or gracefully recover. They have to "strike back" to "make up for it." You've ruined their tiny world view of themselves that they are worthy and have not considered that they are not what they pretend to be.

Status. You lose face if you're rejected--unless the person rejecting you has less status than you. So if you get rejected, you can innoculate yourself against losing face by lowering the status of the rejector.

Of course, this has the effect of lowering your status--because you had the low standards to pursue a low-status individual to begin with, or the lack of discernment to fail to realize in the first place they were low-status (until they rejected you, that is), or because you are flighty and inconsistent in your status attribution.

But this only becomes apparent to those others of sufficient intelligence who are paying attention.

Online dating can be TOUGH. Women get floods of messages and many of them are from douchebags with no knowledge of social skills. Men rarely get replies and when we do, they are more often than not rejections. This, in no way, makes the kinds or responses you describe excusable in ANY setting.

Those assholes and their pervasiveness make me ashamed of my gender. The answer to why they are that way is rooted in insecurity. It is easier for the simple-minded to resort to profanity and name calling than it is to lament how you verbally damaged their precious fragile little ego, especially if they are hiding behind a keyboard.

I am sorry that anyone has to endure that kind of abuse at the hands (fingertips?) of a boor.

A gentleman who is secure in himself will answer appreciatively. Something honest, along the lines of "While I am disappointed that I am not your cup of tea, I appreciate that you took the time to reply with kindness. I wish you well, and if you change your mind, feel free to message me." On more than a few occaasions, something like that has made me a new friend, even if only a virtual one, and it just feels better.

Gentlemen? Are you listening?

Yes spread the word. You are right on!! Thanks!

@valerina Thanks! I shall.

Imagine if every single person you ask out rejects you. Every. Single. Person. Imagine that you've tried every single thing you can do to win someone's affection but it never works. Imagine living until you're old and gray and you still haven't found anyone. It's no excuse to lash out (and I don't when I'm rejected. I'm always nice about it personally) but the frustration is a million percent real. When you feel like folks are playing hot potato with you, like the object is to not get stuck with you, it can be humiliating and rage inducing.

I can see where that would be frustrating.

He has a point. I don't lash out at a woman when she rejects me online, but I would say 95% of my messages reaching out to someone on Match get no reply or a rejection message. The volume is overwhelming, as he says, and it does feel like an emotional pounding over time. Esp. if some of that message rejection is followed up by being stood up for two meetings and being ghosted a few times.

I'm a writer. Rejection is just a part of life.

Well if you're ugly and fat... what da ya expect. Whuuut... you just hurt my ego !
Damn, I've been rejected more times than I can count... my favorite expression goes like this... "I couldn't get lucky in a womans prison with a handful of pardons."
Shoot, rejection is difficult to accept when your young, really at any age, especially "in affairs of the heart"... believe it or not some guys are just assholes... believe it or not some girls (ladies, women) are just... similar.
I don't ever recall being "mad"... dissapointed, embarassed, yes... feeling REJECTED, is not easily absorbed... but anger, being rude... nah, those guys are asshole.
Know somethin... it's the easiest thing in the world to be a gentleman... if we all know the rules.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 20, 2018

The can't handle the idea that someone doesn't want them.

It’s because we have a genetic disposition to procreat the species. We believe that our sperm is the shit to do it with! Because primitive man would’ve tried it anyway possible, and that is frowned upon, he now becomes frustrated. I’m primitive times he would’ve yelled and thrown shit at you. Now he will call you names go to bed and cry. Think of it as progress! Or the truth is they are insecure and the rejection adds to it. Since he can’t blame himself it has to be someone else’s fault. But the first story is more fun.

@Beach_slim I've seen it happen.

Some men act that way some women act that way. If you spend enough time as a single male rejection is part of the game. You get used to it, you expect it. Since most women are not doing the approaching it doesn't happen as often to them. I doubt that a lot of women could handle the amount of rejection men receive. Some folks handle rejection better than others. Most men and women don't behave that way.

I think women are more selective so we don't approach very often. Maybe.

@valerina I don't think that has any thing to do with it. I think it has that way in most cultures for so long it just is. Also women don't want to appear to be easy and a lot of men are intimidated by aggressive women. 🙂

Not something I can explain beyond "they're entitled douchebags". As in, entitled to your attention and to consider you obligated to be attracted to them. Consider yourself lucky that they show their true nature so clearly and so early in a relationship.

@Beach_slim Even better that they do the reveal before the relationship starts.

It's not all men, but the kind of guy who randomly compliments a complete stranger or even a casual acquaintance on social media, is a sketchy bastard to start with.The fact that anything other than gratitude for his attention is met with contempt proves that the jackass isn't stable.

JimG Level 8 Mar 19, 2018

Possibly, projection. It's likely that the guys are the ones ugly and fat.

There are certainly many reasons that rejection may manifest in anger. Anger is an easier emotion to deal with as it can be directed outward whereas rejection causes internal questioning. "It isn't me it is her".
As for the expression of that rejection in profane and/or derogatory comments, which we see often in internet postings, they may be the result of the person not having the ability to express themselves in any other way and the lack of consequences for such expressions. These people seem to have a need to have the last word.
Our society has become more accepting of crass behavior, the rise of women demanding a voice and equal treatment in a male dominated and privileged society and ego issues have been discussed. And all may a part in why name calling is acceptable to those who choose to do so.
Having said that - the problem will not go away. People are what they are and each of us has to know that such behavior is not our problem - but theirs.

I've only had that happen once and I decided it was because he was a psycho. Of course there are all different degrees of anger but usually my experience has been one where the guy is only visibly disappointed but not angry.

It goes both ways.

Agreed. Does it happen a lot to you?

I wouldn't say a lot, but I've definitely been there.

I'm sure some women do get really nasty but I would say it's not uncommon for me to get death threats, rape threats or just called nasty names. "It goes both ways" is accurate technically but it paints a picture of equality which I'm pretty sure isn't the case.

@klang72 I do not believe for a fucking minute you are getting inundated with threats of death and rape. It goes both ways is more than accurate, it is fact.

@Sticks48 You can believe whatever you want to but if you read more of this thread you'll find that treatment isn't uncommon. You have to remember you were dating before the internet and things have changed a lot.

@Sticks48 But you're here I assume as a man of science so don't take my word for it. I invite you to make yourself an online dating profile with a picture of a woman and start talking to men and eventually rejecting them. Record your data and let us know.

@klang72 On line is all bullshit. If they don't know where you live it doesn't matter. People say shit on line because of anonymity. All this crap on line is not the real world. I am talking face to face rejection, not this make believe world.

@klang72 This isn't the real world. This is whatever people want to pretend to be.

@Sticks48 That's probably exactly what the men doing all that BS think. But I'm a real person with real feelings and having a computer in between doesn't change that. I had a guy use my photo to find my facebook to find my place of work and show up there. I was a kindergarten teacher at the time so it really freaked me out. I could probably find you with not all that much effort. (I never would because that's messed up- just to be clear.) People have been fired for what they say online. Your online persona is an extension of yourself, especially when you attach things like your picture to it. Just be careful what you say. (Again, not a threat. Just friendly advice.)

@Sticks48 Also- is your argument that it's perfectly fine to threaten people online because online isn't real? Just trying to figure out what you're saying here.

@klang72 You don't have to be on line. if you are on line you don't have to put out any more info than you want to. You see it here all the time. Say what you will, this is not real life. Hence the use of "IRL" continuously online. If this is a persons "real world", they have some very deep issues. This is meant to be a tool not a lifestyle.

@klang72 I'm not saying it is fine. I am saying it is to be expected because of anonymity. People get awfully brazen when you are not face to face. I see people on here all the time saying shit they would never say if they were face to face with people. Face to face these men probably would not even approach you to ask you out. I am not saying women don't have to be careful, but that is a different subject.

@Sticks48 What are you actually trying to say? You're avoiding answering my questions. If women get harassed online it's their own fault for being there? Is it ok to threaten people because it's "not real"? If you had a daughter or a wife and she was online and some stranger was sending her messages saying he was going to find her and kill her would that be cool with you? Should women have to give up using the internet because of the behaviors of men? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying and I'd like some clarification.

@klang72 No, you just want to argue. You can walk down a dark alley at night if you so desire and live with the consequences. There can be consequences to putting too much personal information online. That is up to each individual to decide. You aren't going to change it, I'm not going to change it.It is what it is. You can get involved online as much or as little as you like. As with most things in life, there are tradeoffs. You have to decide which tradeoffs are worth it.

@Sticks48 Just because I'm not letting what you're saying go, doesn't mean I just want to argue. I'm going to call you out just like I'm going to call out any guy perpetuating rape culture and victim blaming. Your "dark alley" comment makes your stance pretty clear. You've really made an example of yourself.

@klang72 good idea. People who have commented here should run a test such as that. From both sides. I have to say, vulgarites often come to my profile in a first message from men. Many times a first contact is a horrible personal attack based on my photo or a coment about why i am single. I always block them with no reply. But why would some one go out of their way to attack someone whom they didnt even know. Baffles me.

With many men, it's a big let-down to get rejected. It makes them feel unwanted and insecure about their own masculinity. When they do what you say they do, they're doing what is known as 'sour-graping'.

Hell if I know.

@teslacoilsmith Are you saying you don't reject anyone? OR, are you saying you never get abusive/negative feedback after you reject someone? I'm very curious your POV.

@valerina I go through the same thing when I reject some guys sexual advances. I don't know why one minute they are nice, and then get hateful when I say no. Gay guys are sometimes the same as straight guys in this regard.

@Teslacoilsmith intetesting! Thanks for sharing!!

Sometimes males of several species kill prospective mates who reject them. And, some spiders, including the black wodow, eat their mates. Procreating is not play; although, some apes, including people and bonobos enjoy erotic play without procreation.

Statistically, I think few people ponder ethics and philosophy. They just interact and experience and learn along the way. Some are crippled and learn bizarre things, such as religion, but bizarre doesn't stop there, it invades all aspects of life. It is difficult to live with all varieties of personality. But, we must make our way. Perhaps some future AI Freud will straighten things out, we have failed so far.

I suggest that in most cases people initially believe that the other person will be and exhibit or learn to be and exhibit the traits and characteristics that they want in their ideal partner. When they don't or refuse to conform to that ideal the rejected rarely acknowledges that is their ideal that has not been met nor that the other person is specifically rejecting an offer not the whole person.

The person the offer has been made to has their own right to be themself and pursue whatever they wish. For example if two people are wholly compatible except for the fact that one person wishes to have children and the other doesn't I suggest that you are looking at an unstoppable total disaster if the relationship continues.

So why should men become irrationally out of control? ... Stupidity, ignorance, unpunished previous bad behaviour / lack of fear of consequence, lack of empowerment in having the knowledge or learning to understand what has occurred in the rejection and in many cases an unfulfilled sexual urge creating its own madness.

It seems however that the times are changing. It was reported a few weeks ago in the local paper that two women kidnapped a 19 year old man and held him prisoner for several hours. They were both charged. Very little detail was given.

Small willies

Simon, why are you talking about foot size? Is this a foot fetish?
Oh, crikey I read "Wellies" not "Willie's". Must put the specs on.?

@FrayedBear lmao well you know what they say about men with big feet .....big wellies !!;!

@SimonMorgan1 ?

Good question. I do not know either, sounds terrible, stupid and less grown up than a toddler.
But then the US has a president that is like that right now.
It almost looks like a lot of people would encourage or even like that kind of pathetic behaviour in men in US society.

Hmm didn't you also have a president with his penis in an intern's mouth? What was that?

@FrayedBear I'm sure we've had many.

@valerina IMO No point in being coy or only recognizing it in one flavour of politics.

@FrayedBear I've only been on this planet for 30some years, I don't remember a lot about US history, especially leaders and POTUS, but for real though... I've seen Scandal, shit goes down and we'll never know lmao!

@FrayedBear but to be more on point... Trump is my least favorite.

@valerina Each has their own quota of abominable traits. I often espouse the expression "the only good politician is a dead politician and I haven't read of any of them".

@FrayedBear agreed! Lol

@FrayedBear If you cannot see the monstrous difference between a president privately having consensual sex with another adult and a president behaving in a sociopathic fashion towards pretty much the entire globe, you lack the minimum required to have a discussion that is not an entire waste of time.
Also your confession about the expression "he only good politician is a dead politician and I haven't read of any of them" shows a lack of understanding of the democractic system, that makes it frigthening that you participate in it.

@josmi6699 and what have you done about your democratic system or contributed to @valerina's question?

Your democratic system hasn't worked since the day the constitution was created - when were N. American Africans given the vote?

Who is still disenfranchised today?

Who can have the opinion "none of the presenting candidates are fit to represent me" counted at the polling booth?

I recall that your president with a propensity for oral sex claimed that it wasn't sex - how childish is that and why is it still a crime in many states?

Wasn't it also the same bunch of oral masturbators who fired a woman head of US Health for having the audacity to talk about the benefits of masturbation?

What is frightening is your inability to reason beyond the capacity of your brain , its cognitive dissonance and the quantum of indoctrination and spin doctoring that it has managed to absorb. LMAO

@FrayedBear I cannot argue with the brilliance of your argument "LMAO" and rest my case. Life is too short for this.

Yeah, happens all the time, guys get all aggro if rejected and worse if their lady doesn't want to be with them any more.
On the other side of the coin, some of us get complaints from ladies as they leave us that we obviously don't care because we are not upset.
Also, very few women ever make the first move, so maybe that is part of the answer, just not sure how.

That is a question that could fill a book with answers. Maybe dating sights have a higher number of men who are asses than in the general population. Anger issues due to repeated rejection, etc. Men do face more rejection than women overall. You would think we would handle it better. But that is not the case it seems.

@Tynorth This is true, and women have had to give more rejections, so we need to be nicer as well. I get that it's frustrating to do something like this repeatedly. We should all handle it better in general. 👍

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Lol thanks 😛

I wouldn't know. The one time I was asked by a stranger and said no, he just went away.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39984
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.