Agnostic.com

87 10

Why do men get so mad when they get rejected?

This is probably already a question circulating but I thought I'd ask myself.

I see this all too often, when a guy PMs a girl with some sort of compliment or come on, and girls can be as sweet as ever with their let down that they are not interested and the guy will come back with profanity and put downs, calling her ugly or fat. I don't get it. Please explain.

valerina 7 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

87 comments (76 - 87)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've only had that happen once and I decided it was because he was a psycho. Of course there are all different degrees of anger but usually my experience has been one where the guy is only visibly disappointed but not angry.

I see a lot of men here implying this is a level playing field. It's not. There is no female equivalent of the Incel movement. When a man expresses hostility toward us for rejecting us, we have reason to feel threatened and to fear that he may take that hostility further. In many cases, that open hostility the man expresses can be just the warm-up, and we have no way of telling if that's the case. Men may joke about it, but they seldom have to wonder if the woman they just brushed off will be waiting for them in the parking lot to force themselves on him, injure him, or murder him. These are real concerns for women, and there are stats to prove it. Of course "not all men" are monsters. But the monsters are indistinguishable from the rest of you. Men fear getting screamed at or having their masculinity questioned, if they insult a woman. Women fear being stalked, maimed, and murdered for insulting a man.

Deb57 Level 8 Jan 3, 2019

You couldn't have said this better.

So much this! A valid point.

I fully agree with this assessment. I didn't consider this post to be about the incels though. Just men being jerks when rejected. Incels are a completely different beast than the general population. Women have much more to be concerned with in general where rejection happens. I didn't address that with my comment simply because I did not read that as part of the original question in the post. I don't feel that it's a level playing field at all. I do believe that women are as easily pissed off though when they do make advances and men reject them. The aftermath can be much worse where men are rejected. There is no doubt there. In my experience, it's much more rare for women to actually be the one rejected. The number of times I rejected women is far fewer than the number of times I've been rejected. I have never been insulting with my response. I've always been pretty gracious and expressed flattery. Still, it didn't always end nicely. Some just don't know how to handle rejection regardless of gender.

One of the sweet things about being male is that you don't automatically have to take your personal safety into consideration when dealing with the opposite sex. This is something most women do so constantly that it often becomes unconscious habit. Something as simple as walking outdoors alone can be a huge risk for us, and the risk escalates if we have pissed off a man for any reason, intentionally or unintentionally, or even without realizing we have done so. As you say, although I have experienced sexual/romantic rejection and am familiar with how painful it can be, it hasn't happened very frequently. But most women are accustomed to being rejected often in arenas other than romantic, we are accustomed to being interrupted when we speak, we are accustomed to having it assumed that we don't understand things and need to have them explained to us by a man, we are accustomed to waiting our turn even when our turn keeps getting pushed back by the priorities of someone who considers his own far more important, we are accustomed to being assessed for merit purely on the basis of how we look, and hell, we are even accustomed to having to quickly step out of the way of the path of an oncoming man in order to keep from getting body slammed on the sidewalk.

I was thirteen years old the first time a guy tried to rape me in a parking lot after saying I wasn't interested. That same week the lady downstairs was raped and her stomach was cut up. I'd be shocked if most men lived with this type of fear

I’m sure it happens. But, I’ve not seen it.

In simplest terms, men (some) are insecure and take rejection as an attack on them. So, they react (immaturely) by attacking in return.

Not one of our finest traits.

May be it has to do with mommy tell you guys -always- that you are the best after spread butter?

I have no idea. Never done that in my life.

Oh I have been cussed out by a couple girls for not being interested, but it's different for men, I just rolled my eyes and went on my way.

I do not get that. As a human species, we are all attracted to different people. Sometimes it is a match, others it is not and that is ok. No need to be rude about it. I think a thank you for your candid reply is the best response.

There are certainly many reasons that rejection may manifest in anger. Anger is an easier emotion to deal with as it can be directed outward whereas rejection causes internal questioning. "It isn't me it is her".
As for the expression of that rejection in profane and/or derogatory comments, which we see often in internet postings, they may be the result of the person not having the ability to express themselves in any other way and the lack of consequences for such expressions. These people seem to have a need to have the last word.
Our society has become more accepting of crass behavior, the rise of women demanding a voice and equal treatment in a male dominated and privileged society and ego issues have been discussed. And all may a part in why name calling is acceptable to those who choose to do so.
Having said that - the problem will not go away. People are what they are and each of us has to know that such behavior is not our problem - but theirs.

I see it as a sense of entitlement, something that is becoming more common with the advent of social media and the anonymity that it provides, so people feel free to express their baser instincts. There's a lot of discussion lately about toxic masculinity, which I suspect comes from a lack of emotional intelligence.

There is an easy answer! Some "men" are actually very immature!

Atlas Level 3 Feb 9, 2019

Most men just wanna fuck plain and simple

JfFun Level 2 Feb 9, 2019

Their brains are immature

Their pride is hurt. when you reject a guy you crush his ego it's basically a defense mechanism

The best thing you can do is avoid them

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39984
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.