Agnostic.com

31 2

When did you become Atheist/Agnostic

At what age did you reject the religious teachings of your parents?

• 12 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 18 votes
  • 23 votes
  • 22 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 0 votes
LauraUU 6 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As Carlin said, "When I reached the age of reason".

I came to reject the faith of my parents and peers at the tender age of twelve, when I looked about me at the rampant hypocrisy of not only all so called sacred institutions, such as the church and private Christian academy I attended, but also of the mindless drones and stark pretenders who comprise the faith. Not only that, I am a non conformist. Plus I knew my sexuality was taboo and I, while not taking the risk of outing myself, never was interested in women. Yech! Lol

I don't label myself "theist", "atheist" or "agnostic", but simply "one who does not claim to worship anything at all". The terms "God", "Yahweh" and "Allah" are not part of my vocabulary, except as rows of letters written and pronunced by certain people who make sentence-like structures with them, and who behave emotionally as if they referred to something that they worshiped, and so they probably do believe that these rows of letters refer to something. However I have no concept of anything to believe they refer to, nor any reason to believe that they do either. I realized this one day when I was about 40. That's half my life ago.

Had formulated the idea of an all crontoling magical creature was unrealistic. Had briefly thought a the possibility of a creature could have started the ball rolling after some pondering that was an unlikely possibility as well. With changing ideas in astro physics the big bang could be in question altering to the thought of the big change.

I was at or around the age of 12 or 13. That's when I began to wonder and ask questions that no one wanted to answer, or I was told not to ask those questions. I became determined to get some answers and inside I felt that religion was made up or deeply misunderstood. And as I would find answers, that feeling started becoming more and more probable until one day I admitted to myself that I didn't believe and never really did.

Born one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40019
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.