Agnostic.com

16 2

I'll start by saying this isn't to justify misleading another person emotionally. I am curious though as to others thoughts. Do you feel it is possible to emotionally be attracted to 2 different people at the same time, because of the differences between them making them unique and perhaps appealing to you equally because of their own reasons? Or do you feel that an emotional attraction is only true to one person?

L4aLikeMinded 3 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yup, but it can get difficult. If/when you get too emotionally attached to one person, it can cause guilt in dealings with the other. Maybe if you have an open poly relationship but every one of those I've known has ended up was a couple and an abandoned third.

Oh definitely. I have a live-in partner and I have an emotionally intimate relationship that includes no actual sex with another. He was the first person I met on OkCupid. We have a 97% match and we have so many of the same interests (history, literature, photography) and he has a girlfriend.

We get together once or twice a month. We love each other dearly, and I have a deep appreciation for what he brings to my life and I know he feels the same.

Definitely possible!! And probable...

I feel you could be emotionally attracted to many, your love isn't restricted to only one of your children. I think monogamy is a residual issue from our religions. Yet, Abraham has 3 wives?
David and Solomon had many.

you can't help the way you feel but you can help the way you act. if you get a second partner then how can you love the first one?

I totally get what youre saying. It's like vanilla and chocolate icecream. I think you'll probably have a preference even though you like them both. But is entirely possible to love both equally

I think it's quite normal. I love and am in love my wife, and I'm also in love with an long-time female friend I probably should have married many years ago. My wife knows this and has actually become a close friend of the other woman, who lives in a different state. They definitely have differences, and both are different from my late first wife, whom I'm still in love with 26 years after her death. I feel privileged to have such strong emotional bonds with three different women, and I doubt there is only one person we can be attracted to. Love is expansive, not restrictive.

I think it's completely possible to be attracted to more than one person at a time; emotionally, physically or whatever. The real question is, can you explore these attractions comfortably without deceiving or hurting the people involved. Again, I think anything is possible, but can be tricky and will depend on the comfort level and willingness of everyone involved.
I'm not so sure how comfortable I would be, certainly less and less comfortable as the relationship became more and more seriouse.
DIfferent for everyone I suspect.

If it wasn't possible, you'd eliminate 80% of literature and popular entertaining. I made up the percentage, but you see what I mean. Happens all the time.

sure you can be attracted to more than one person at a time

Absolutely and fairly common too.

Yup. It is totally possible - because people are a complex bunch of nerves and psynapses.

The question is: Would those two people accept you being emotionally attracted AND you acting on those attractions to the other?

If they would accept it, go for you lives! 😀

If not, it might be best to cut your losses and choose one - because there is also the element of respect for another.

Some people can be dating multiple persons at one time. I think it is easier when you are younger and have little responsibility and don't understand commitment yet. When I was in college I was young and immature and briefly saw two people at same time. Emotionally could not handle it and ended older relationship which was not healthy. As an adult know the value of monogamy and commitment to one person.

Yes totally

I'm sure most people can and do love more than one person at a time.

If you mean multiple romantic/sexual attachments, of course men do that all the time..the problem is usually getting them to limit their interest to one person.

Don't look at me-I'm demisexual. That means I'm not sexually attracted to any person or gender except after more than a year of being together, then I'm only attracted to that one person.

I can be, and have been, emotionally attracted to 2 people at the same time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40152
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.