Agnostic.com

14 0

WOULD YOU DATE PEOPLE WITH RELIGIOUS VIEWS?

Would you form a serious romantic relationship with someone who has even mild religious views, or would you seek only agnostics, atheists, skeptics, & freethinkers?

Remiforce 7 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just bought dinner for one last night. Besides being a devout catholic, she also smokes. WELL, at least I didn't have to eat dinner alone again.

Be careful. Religiosity & second hand smoke can be dangerous

My girlfriend was a weak theist when we started dating. Now she's more of a deist. She thinks something is out there. Her beliefs barely make a ripple on our relationship.

If your girlfriend is not too deeply committed to religion, maybe there's hope for your relationship. Many people are nominally religious, but when you come to it, they don't really give a flying fig

I’ve been married to one for 44 years and it hasn’t been a problem.

Good, One or both of you must have some sense

Sure thing. I don't have a problem with religion per se. I'm more concerned with how they approach applying their faith in day to day life.

How they treat people is always the ultimate test. I would rather date 100 deeply religious women that treated everyone fairly, kindly, and with great compassion, then 1 atheist know-it-all blowhard that makes people feel like shit.

I know how you feel. I've met arrogant, opinionated, obnoxious agnostics & atheists too. Unfortunately religious nuts don't have a monopoly, but they do get more organizational support

Yes,and I married one 35 years ago .She is mildly religious but has her own views on a god etc .This issue has never been a problem in the marriage .I feel there are a myriad of more important attributes to evaluate an individual by .Its only an issue if you choose it to be.A close minded stubborn non believer is no better than a stubborn religious believer.

Not even a one night stand!

zesty Level 7 Sep 16, 2019

Only if they're really good in bed

Yes, I would date. Form a serious relationship? Unlikely, but possible. People are good, not because of their religion, but in spite of it.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I recently had someone rather attractive looking lady who had Christian as there religion status. When I said I wasn't interesting and was only looking for Irreligious, the person tried to come back with that they were not religious but spiritual but still attended church, which made no sense to me.

Never again

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 16, 2019

I doubt I will ever fall for anyone again with "mild religious views" if new age woo and psuedo-psychic abilities would fall into that category. People might say they are atheist or free-thinking to make you think they match your spiritual views at first, but over time they might have deeply held beliefs that rule their life and become a negative factor in the relationship. I'll hold out for a skeptic.

I recently joined a dating app just as a temporary curiosity... I noticed one person who "liked" me showed "agnostic" so I considered "liking" him back, decided to sleep on it, since he was not all that attractive to me, but when I logged in the next day, he had switched his religion to "Christian" so I'm thinking he's just putting on whatever label will attract a mate. I'll stick with the firm atheists, and even put that into my dating app filter so I won't waste anyone's time. (Dating on Kauai: There were only 8 possible matches in my 20 year age window - discarded each of them because I either knew them already or they are new age nuts, and one was my friend's current boyfriend.) So much for the experiment.

Everyone has religious views. I'm assuming you mean someone who actually follows a religion.

I'd have a relationship with them before I had one with someone who makes liberal use of the CAPS LOCK key. 😉

1of5 Level 8 Sep 16, 2019

There are worst sins than making liberal use of the CAPS LOCK KEY, though some would say being an AXE MURDERER is right up there with it.

@Remiforce astute observation, but some of us have standards that we just won't comprimise.

Sins don't exist, btw.

Yes, if the views are not imposed on me.

My previous self would have said yes... but for a few years now it has been NO... although that does not stop the religious men from contacting me for gawd knows what reason! (I stipulate on my profile I won't date the religious). It is quite difficult to find non-religious men though, even on dating sites 😟

Yes. But when they try to convert me, I'm out.

Good for you. When they try to convert you, the door is your friend

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:402938
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.