Agnostic.com

12 14

LINK Economists calculate monetary value of 'thoughts and prayers' | World news | The Guardian

LOL! Christians are willing to pay for thoughts & prayers. Atheists and Agnostics are willing to pay not to be kept in thoughts & prayers. 😛

This is actually pretty interesting.

SeaGreenEyez 9 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

456 North Carolina tarheels were given 5 buck$ to participate in this survey and asked to identify themselves regarding thoughts prEyers and various types of perpetrators.....priests were offered more than 5 and valued over 7 buck$ for quality of prayer shortly after Hurricane Florence while Atheists spent their money precisely one third to tell priests to stfu and fundies stfu 2/3rds of 5 buck$

So nice to be considered- HELPESS-in the face of adversity.

My idea of the value of thoughts and prayers

Moon fog FLATUS true barter for prEyer value

Do you really need economists to calculate a big fat ZERO?

But did they pay taxes on services provided? 😉

I'd be more than willing to shell out 20 Benjiman's or so for these irritating clowns to pack up the thoughts and prayers tent and take their show to another town far the he'll away.

I always wondered how monetary value and price are actually calculated, when it comes to implementation.

All I know is that subjective value/utility and overhead requirements play into it, but I don't know what formulas are used, along with other possible factors.

I thought HEAVEN RECALLED all prayers ?? The ONION JOKE STORY JUST a few days ago

Hell I'd give $20 not to do either..

That is interesting.

There are so many directions the motives could take I'm not sure how meaningful the results could be. Other than the obvious of course. Religious folks think prayer has positive value and non-religious folks think it is null or even negative.

It would also be interesting to see how people's behaviours would change if there were objective value rewards involved. The situation seems to me quite subtle and could quickly become very complex. At some point it would become an exercise in game theory -- people weighing risks vs rewards.

It is interesting to think about though.

What a crazy study! People got paid to conduct that?! I think they'd get different results if they were dealing with a larger sum of money, say $100 instead of $5, and asked the participants to use their own money, not free money given to them by the researchers. If they did that, I think they'd find a lot more Christians hanging onto their cash. I also think atheists would not pay to NOT have someone pray for them. They only did it in the study because it was a paltry sum given to them, so they decided to make a point by giving the money back.

dkp93 Level 8 Sep 16, 2019

Yep I agree- to be trained to rely on
a fairy tale instead of human resiliance is frankly SAD...

At least it is affordable.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.