Agnostic.com

30 7

The job search.

So I was offered a position today for a minimum wage job, full time, some benefits. Washington state min wage is $11 per hour.

I have been in search of something in my field for a while, not having any luck. I believe it is my age, my sex, my body shape, my experience, or a combination of those. Every job I have interviewed for has gone to a younger male candidate. Some of them I know had nothing on my experience level. This makes me feel rather obsolete.

So my dilemma is, do I take the min wage job in a town I like? Hold out hope that one of the many jobs I have applied for comes to fruition? Keep looking for something else? Jump up and down that somebody wants me?

Akfishlady 8 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Take the job just for the money and still look for the job you really want

I don't take it personal. Most jobs I have looked for pay a ridiculous amount, want very specified computer experience, bilingual, etc. I think they post the ads actually looking or expecting young people to apply, and figure this is what young people expect in wages, so why not? When it comes to pay scale, our country simply doesn't respect what an individual with experience can contribute. It's all about the bottom line ($). I think their mentality is "if you don't like it, go somewhere else". With my last couple of jobs, their motto should have been "We don't give a shit, and it shows".

Could take min wage job if you want to stay put. Then if better job comes up decide them.

If you are in the town that you like, doing a job that you like, and can live comfortably on the wage that you earn, then I say take it.
I work in a job that pays little, but I like it. I've gone to a couple of other jobs that pay more, but I was not happy. I came back to this place that I'm working at and I really like it. Would I like to get paid more, sure. But I don't need to live like a rock star. I get bills paid, have food and shelter, and can do anything that I'd like to do.

I think doing a job you want and enjoy is important. We spend half our lives at work. It's almost as important as having a happy home life.

I agree with the take the job group. Some income is better than none and some jobs will only look at you if your employed. And 11 is better than Florida's 8.25. I'm making 9.10 an hour but I only get 25 hours a week.

BillF Level 7 Mar 20, 2018

Take it but be ready to quit when one you want is offered.

yup me too once i was 60 that was it. jobs either didnt want you or tried to get rid of you aeism is agains the law but try to prove it

Jump up and down, for exercise and health purposes.

I'd take the minimum wage job, but I wouldn't really invest in it. I'd keep looking for another job. If the current job asks why, you tell them the truth: minimum wage isn't much of an investment in YOU so why shouldn't you return the favor?

I don't know you're situation, but which looks worse on a resume an employment gap or settling for something beneath your skill set. Secondly, and purely hypothetically, what's your financial situation? Can you afford to hold out for as long as you think it's going to take?

JimG Level 8 Mar 20, 2018

Take it, you may find out that you like it...

Take the job so that atleast you have stable income nut don't give up and settle either. Many times i had to do the same but in the end i found what i was looking for and twice it actually opened a few doors for me that ended up leading to something even better. Unfortunately companies now prefer less experienced people because it makes the people in charge feel safer with their position.

i would ake it, unsledd you are giving up a higher paying ob. then once there you can look around

Oh, that's awful 😟 I have no doubt that the minimum wage job will bore you half to death rapidly, but could you tolerate it for a while just to pay the bills while you look for a job in an organisation that values skill and intelligence?

Jnei Level 8 Mar 20, 2018

@Akfishlady I'm a college professor and working in a nursery is an option I've actually considered. The college environment is horrible. It's become just like corporate America. When people learn that I teach college, they ask what I teach and I say "Thirteenth grade". They laugh and then they realize what I'm saying...

@Akfishlady That might not be totally awful. A lot of garden centres (note UK spelling 😉 ) have pet departments and I know a woman with a BA in biology who works in my local centre - she started out as a part-time general bod just to bring in some cash, rapidly impressed the managers with her knowledge of small furry pets and got promoted to resident expert. Garden centres often sell pond and aquarium stuff including fish, so maybe you could become the resident fish expert?

Obviously it's not going to be ideal for a scientist such as yourself, but if your colleagues are alright it might be bearable.

Maybe you should get a job at Cambridge so you can come and live near me and we can go out and get drunk every weekend? 😀

@Akfishlady I would like that kind of job. I would also like to work in a library I think.

@btroje I'd absolutely love to be a librarian (I'd be great at it too - I can do a really good "over the top of the glasses" stern glare) but it's a surprisingly difficult job to get into.

@Akfishlady I am so buying a plane ticket and coming to visit when you do that!

@Akfishlady hoping for the best to get to your dream

The first thing you should do at any new job; update your resume and apply for a better one.

When your presence is in the least inconvenient for any reason, there will be no loyalty to you. So it makes no sense for you to feel any loyalty to them..... I mean really? Minimum wage and how many years of school did you pay for to get your degree?

Take work when you can get it, and upgrade when possible! I've had some weird jobs. You meet interesting people doing weird jobs.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 20, 2018

How are the finances? How long can you go without a job? How long can you live without any benefits? It's a hard call, but my advice would be if you need to get the income and benefits going, take the job. You aren't glued to it. Keep looking for something better. And good luck.

Congratulations AK

You can always change jobs if it's awful or you might find great people to work with. I wish the best of everything for you.

Take the job and keep looking. Look in your field, but also at employers who treat their workers better such as Costco or government jobs. Is teaching an option? You need to decide whether relocating for a job in your field would be a good idea (i.e. would you accept a job in your field if it were in a less desirable location).

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Something is better than nothing.

I say go ahead and take the job you can get now and then continue looking afterwards..Its a good comprimise and it keeps you moving forward.

If you want to and are able to keep up the job search while working this job why not? Is this job ok and there's an opportunity for advancement/more money? Can you do this job physically? Tough choice. Message me if you want. Good luck and peace.

I guess it depends on how badly you need the money. Is there another part of the state or country where your skills are in greater demand? I know moving from friends, family and a familiar place you really like is hard. However, sometimes change in order to find that good job can lead to unexpected positive outcomes. Such a leap can be difficult, scary.

Good luck whichever way you go. I have been on and off work, lost a place due to restructuring a couple of years ago and temping since then. It's very tough, it seems like a long term job is almost a thing of the past these days.

Take it!

Lani Level 5 Mar 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40374
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.