Agnostic.com

13 6

Even though we have each other on this site. Does anyone ever feel that they have been shunned by their family and friends because of their honesty.? I do feel alone and I often hide the fact that I don't possess the ability to believe in the imaginary.

Chefedone 6 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My kids, my brothers kids and I are atheists, rest of the family, far and wide are religious.
I don;t think that is the reason we have little to do with them, but hey are very condescending and arrogant.
Almost all our firends are atheists.
The old saying I guess, you can choose your friends but etc etc

Leaving religion behind has created a gulf between me and my extended family. After my family refused to allow me to speak at my mother's funeral, I was happy to walk away. I don't regret it.

K8TE Level 5 Mar 21, 2018

My family have probably shunned me, but I don't care. In fact, I'm happier not having to deal with them.

My friends are either as nonbelieving as I am, or are very accepting.

I've been shunned for more than honesty

You and me both brother!

fuck them all @DelilahJones33 just for being myself in fact.

I want to be shunned by religious people or I wouldn't have built this next to my front door and wouldn't have had the tattoo on the back of my head. if you are presumptuous enough to think I'm bad or evil etc because of it I don't want to talk to you anyway. still my fave tattoo. I love being the supposed freak in the corner.

@LeighShelton ❤

back at you xx

The member that really mater in my family accept me as I am. Non beliefs included😉

You'll feel much worse if you hide your true self. You can fix feeling alone. Once your integrity is gone, that's another story.

I am foretunate in that there are several in my family who have been finished with believing for a long time. The believers in the family have their heartfelt need to help and will try, from time-to-time. Needlessly to say, it was easy to cage the arguement with their own beliefs.

I have talked with my fellow non believers to stop the trapping. The believer who truely love us are only trying to help, in their minds. To them, it is a horror that we will spent all of the rest of time (which never ends) in hell.

Everyone will shun you eventually and even though you are not aware of it. Keep this thought in the back of your head. Always look for new people, friends, co workers and a new path to walk and venture on. The biggest disallusion I ever had in my life was that my brothers would turn on me for their own egotistical gleam. I can tell you that its been almost 35 yrs. since they did this and they are very lonely people and do not know how to undo what they now realize was their mistake, not mine. I know that I've mentioned this before but I was in 6 Weddings during my life and I haven't seen them since. My Dad once told me about that and I found it hard to grasp but kept it in the back of my mind like I did with many things that he explained to me and for which I am so much a better person for.

My friends are fine with it or they wouldn't be my friends.

My family is usually just fine. I have one BIL who makes me a bit crazy but who doesn't? There's always that "one". lol

Constantly, with my family I get called a trouble maker for trying to have honest conversations. It's tiresome, either anger or gaslighting are favourite responses.I have to limit my time with my family. Friends on the other hand, tend to be more respectful of my views, even believers. I guess if they weren't we wouldn't be as close.

It has definately created a barrier in our family. I have had all sorts of accusations thrwon at me over the years, arrogant, lack of open mind, morally questionable, lacking in logical thinking. For me it is easily the other way round on all accounts,

Most definetly ... RC mom thinks I am heartless and mean when Irefuse to play into the ‘pray for me’ pity party she hosts on a weekly basis... with all the gun shootings at schools I’ll hear about how terrible it is and that we need to pray for the families, I’m like No, we need to do something to actively change it... I have very little patience for passivity

Its been so long since I came out to speak - its not an issue for me. We live far apart and just talk on phone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.