Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK Beto O’Rourke, Joe Biden and the Perils of the Electability Trap – Rolling Stone

Regarding the "electability" myth
'If that were actually a formula for winning elections, it might make sense that Democrats obsess like crazy over identifying the “most electable” choice for 2020. But the opposite is true: When parties tap the candidates who engage and enthuse them the most, both in terms of style and substance, they elect presidents."

jniece 6 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is how TrumpOLINI won 31 states mobilized racists and greedy victim blames....crooked Billary could not rig her 25 states she needed the same way she rigged her states against Bernie

The reality is that parties pick people who make it easier to collect money from billionaire donors so they talk about things like "electability" in order to create a smoke screen while they attempt to force their choice on you. The reality is that the person who creates enthusiasm and has more supporters is the one who can win the election. This is how the DNC lost in 2016 to Trump... They fixed the primary to force a bad candidate who then ran a shit campaign to run against a conman who was used to manipulating people instead of the guy who got out the vote then wondered why many states didn't support her. Her whole campaign consisted of "It's my turn..."

Electability is simply a ploy by the establishment of either party to make sure the status quo is preserved by electing only moderates of either party who will play ball with the rich and corporate interests. With this kind of thinking it matters not which party they are nominated from, as the candidates are about not offering a real choice between the parties. Which is just fitting since these days the establishment in both parties have no real disagreements on the big issues that really matter and affect the common people, such as war, foreign policy, climate policy, environmental policy, trade policy, social spending, and who the economy is to benefit, the people or business and the rich.

So fight now for Howie Hawkins the real Green New Deal of 2006

The statement is pointing to Elizabeth Warren.

Your statement sounds like you want 4 more years of Trump fucking things up...

@Lizard_of_Ahaz 4 more years of Trump are almost guaranteed with the Democrats freak show. I am trying to see where the hope is. The defeat with Bernie will not be just for 4 years but for 40 years. Democrats will not recover for a long time, books will be written, classes will be taught at Harvard on what not do in political campaigns. Some blue states will be red for a long time to come. It will look like blood on the U.S. map. Voters will be embarrassed to be called a Democrat in streets. You will see Washington DC be named after Trump DC for the biggest political landslide in the 200 year history of the U.S. of A.

@St-Sinner So then the one candidate they are fielding who has more individual donors than Trump does you think will lose?... My guess is you failed math right?... You need to stop listening to bullshitters and start dealing with reality because the last time they pulled this bullshit they got Trump elected....

@Lizard_of_Ahaz

I do not work with passions in politics. I work with the sense of possibility and pragmatism. Bernie has failed once and I cannot say this enough but you are in denial. Bernie is un-electable because:

1. His ideas are outlandish and a pie in the sky with crazy funding of just taxing the rich. These ideas have failed before.
  2. He is painting an Utopian world. You know what they say about the Utopian world. It does not exist!
  3. Our nation is not there yet. We are not a progressive nation, we are progressive only in coastal cities. That is about it.
  4. The nation is Christian and religious. I lived in Westchester (near Monsey, New York), worked in diamond district on 47th Street on Fifth Avenue, New York and I have lived in Texas for 15 years. It gives me no pleasure that a Jewish candidate will not be elected for President today. I feel that sentiment in Texas regularly. The nation does not feel like Monsey or Manhattan. It is a sad fact. A gay, Mormon, Muslim, Hindu, atheist will not be elected president for another 30 to 40 years
  5. He looks old and like a crazy professor. He looks hunchback. American voters always want their president to look good. Look at any president in the last 40 years and tell me who looked like Bernie. No one.
  6. To me, he does not belong to the Democratic party. He never joined the party, did not show 100% loyalty, always showed independence so he should run as an independent. No democratic ticket. The democratic Party is not the yellow bus for every candidate for opportunistic and selfish endeavors. There are millions of hard working ground workers who are toiling daily for good Democratic candidates. He should move out of the way.

Drop your personal passion for Bernie and begin thinking objectively. None of what he has today - ideas, personality will fly in 2020. But I admit he has given a voice to progressive and bold ideas. We will name a library in Vermont or in his high school one day for his contribution.

About Trump getting elected - Trump is almost sure to get re-elected. We are just trying to see if there is a chance to minimize the embarrassment to democrats. We sure do not want to guarantee the embarrassment of decades and history with Bernie Sanders.

@St-Sinner Damn you really are a brainwashed tool aren't you?... These are all Biden, Clinton, and Perez propaganda... His ideas are mainstream because the majority of voters want these programs while the majority of voters reject Wall Street manipulation of the economy....

@Lizard_of_Ahaz
I am only telling you about the realities on the ground. As I said I work with possibility and pragmatism, not with dreams, myths and false hopes. I have no dog in the fight except that I would be very disappointed with Trump kicking Democrats' ass big time again in 2020 and really do not want Bernie to guarantee that happening.

I am not brain washed by anybody. I am a free thinker. That is why I am on this platform.

@St-Sinner Many other religious people call themselves "free thinkers" as well and your beliefs are religious because you blindly spew the same stupid shit that the Libertarian party does. You do of course know who OWNS the Libertarian party right?... That would be the Koch family the same people that own the Third Way, New Democrats, TEA Party, and the GOP....

@St-Sinner As for "radical" any plan that is supported by 70% of all Americans and 85% of all Democratic leaning voters (which is being denied by 538 [DNC tool], and Kaiser [the same people who bribed Reagan to pass the HMO Act and stand to lose hundreds of billions in revenues] isn't radical.... The people opposing it are the radicals...
[thehill.com]

This is exactly why the Democratic party has a negative 10% approval rating... which is even lower than Trump's approval rating...

@Lizard_of_Ahaz
There is no denying that Americans want free healthcare, they want free education, they want a lot of things free. But when the opponents start peeling the layers off it explaining how Bernie is going to do it with outlandish taxes on the rich, they will start peeling away from Bernie the Dream Seller. 86% of American also want gun control. Does Koch Brothers and NRA allow them to do it? In the general elections, policies and wanting to give free and shiny things will not work. The salesman is very very important. You seem to conveniently ignore the Salesman part. Bernie is as bad a salesman as you can get. Even if he promises free pure solid gold cast toilets in each house, they will not go for it. Because they want to know how is Bernie going to do it after calling it crazy.

The general elections is a different ball of wax. Can never forget the silent majority in the nation which is Christian Caucasian who is not vocal usually but comes out roaring when something is objectionable. They came out in 2016 when they were about done the black president and voted a white Caucasian all American President Trump.

I admit that you are passionate about Bernie's ideas, passionate about the whole nation getting something good but it can only happen these things happen first:

1. You have to forget 2020. The time is over to make the sale. Bernie got 2 chances and he could not do it
  2. Try it in 2024 again with a better salesman (who is not Jewish, black, atheist, Mormon, Muslim or Hindu)
  3. Explain a pragmatic plan about how you will fund giving free things without just taxing the rich
  4. Bernie should explain how long is enough for a politician to do good work in Washington for people? 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years, 30 years, 35 years and all of his life and possibly his or her children in his shoes to "continue legacy" as well? If Bernie could not do an ounce of what he is promising in his 40 years career, why the heck should I believe that he can do all in just 4 years? Is it just a personal ego ride?

@Lizard_of_Ahaz
I am a regular voter. I do not need any deeper knowledge than I currently have. I will watch candidates, listen to them and read about them in the media. If I am not convinced he or she is good, I will not vote for them.

I am not a media person, journalist, political pundit or a think tank expert or any expert of politics. As a voter, I do not need any more knowledge to know which candidate is full of BS and who is good. That is how millions in the nation vote.

I know Bernie Sanders is an intruder in the Democratic Party, a myth peddler and he is using oxygen in the political season that other people can use.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:404282
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.