Agnostic.com

20 9

Do you own pets, or do your pets own you?

No matter what animal I acquire, soon it is ordering me around, and I find myself galloping back and forth getting it its favorite foods, doing everything to make it happy and comfortable.

I'm not even safe from goldfish; mine used to tap on the glass by spitting pebbles against the side of the fish tank, even put their mouths above the water for food, slapping the water with their tails if I approached the refrigerator, where I kept the fish food.

When I put up bird feeders, they'd tap on the window glass when the food ran out, including the hummingbirds.If I was away, they'd tap on my mom's downstairs windows.

birdingnut 8 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I try to live and understand my pets, respecting their individual personalities and instincts. But I do attempt to remain pack leader while spoiling them shamelessly.

I admit I pamper my dog but doing so gives me pleasure seeing her enjoy what I give her. Does she own me? I'd say most of the time I let her 😉

SamL Level 7 Mar 23, 2018

I have a MinPin that is spoiled rotten. I am just glad he loves me unconditionally!

JK666 Level 7 Mar 21, 2018

My 5 cats are secure in their ownership of me.

My boys definitely have the upper hand. I have two Shih Tzus, and they are not shy about letting me know what they want. I'm compelled to provide hydration and sustenance upon demand; to walk them every day; to "pick up" after them; clean up when they get "sick"; get them groomed; take them to the vet; and, last but not least, to enjoy their enthusiastic adoration and joy at seeing me after even a short absence.

Built up a staircase out of old couch cushion so my guy could look out the window and bark at everything that went past OUR house.

My goodness your fish and birds have you trained. I had fish but they never did that-they just came to the front of the tank and stared My dog, a German Shepherd, loves pizza crust and always hunts for people food. My cat hears the electric can opener and comes running because he thinks its tuna fish which I give him the remnants of the can. We love our pets don't we?

A year ago I got my first own dog and she’s like one of my daughters. Is crazy how fast you get to love em.

I have a mutually benefical relationship with my dogs, they help my with my cattle and guard my farmand I ffed them, provide healthcare, furniture, and serve them according to their demands(some are more demanding than others).

They trust you. That is golden

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 21, 2018

I have lived with cats most of my life, and it is my plan never to be without a cat. I have had dogs, and plan to have a dog again once I retire. My cats are my children, my reason for coming home, my comforters and my amusement. With a dog you have to lead, they are pack animals and if you're not the leader they will try to be. I was a good dog mom when I had dogs. Cats are leaders, no matter what you think. I use the line I'm bigger than you and I feed you dammit, and they say yeah and you clean the litter box too.

I'm pack leader, even with my cats. Although, most of the time they ignore me

Don't have a dog atm, but would be pack leader.

Had some geese once, they would try to chase me out of the yard.

Sounds perfectly normal to me, said the woman who extensively modified her RV so the dogs could have a view from their crate when we are underway traveling

Mine own me the bastards!!! Lol

I'm owned by a rabbit named Saffron. I consider her my perfect answer to the question, dog or cat? She runs up to greet me, licks me and is content in her knowledge she has me on a schedule.
If I forget her banana in the morning, she's quite put out!

Hawing a pet animal makes you responsible for their welfare. In this respect, you are obligated to provide food, water and shelter and to do so in a humane manner.

There is a saying: "Dogs have owners. Cats have staff !"

My 2 dogs own me, but I'm trying to wean myself to not hover

Sunny Level 4 Mar 21, 2018

I don't consider my dogs as my property but more my family and if I'm not pack leader then they will be. its the way they work and I never have to tell them off. we all need structure in our lives especially dogs if humans are going to live happily with them. I got fish too and love them.

My pets rule, perfect example is 25 years ago I had tanks with local marine creatures in them. One baby mud crab would bring a mussle to the side and bang it on the glass until someone opened it for him.
We eventually released him and he clearlu didn;t want to go, kept following us back out of the water.

LOL! That's what snakes and lizards do when I stop to stroke them under the chin in the desert or woods. They quiver all over in delight, and when I try to leave, they follow me. My daughter and I kept trying to leave some baby lizards we'd been petting, but they kept leaping back onto us from the tree, whenever we tried. We finally put them back on the tree, then RAN for it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40661
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.