Agnostic.com

10 13

Drying pears and apples

"Do you need any pears to dry or make pear crisp?" my friend Billie asked. "I bought too many and the pears are ripening too fast. I can't keep up with them."

"The boxes of fruit were 35 pounds instead of the usual 20," she said when I arrived this morning. Both the apples and pears were only $1.30 per pound at Stemilt Growers fruit stand.

I stashed 15 Gala apples in the refrigerator because they'll keep longer than the pears. Will sprinkle a little cinnamon on the apples before drying.

Ran to Target and bought the last manual apple/pear corer. It cut an hour of time spent peeling, coring and slicing pears. It usually takes four hours to fill my dehydrator. Today it took three. Yay!

So the fruit doesn't turn brown, I briefly soak slices in lemon/orange juice. Dry until chewy.

Dried pears make wonderful gifts, even for my fussy vegan friends. 100% natural.

What a production! But it's worth it.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have fond memories of harvest time in Eastern Washington! Enjoy!

Yum! Looks good.

Dying pears and apples? How sad.
Oh drying pears and apples.............never mind.

Very nice... I've never dried fruit before.... I eat it fresh 😊

Delicious!

Do you have a food dehydrator, or do you dry them in rhe oven?

@KKGator

I have a Swiss food dehydrator, the best on the market. I love that I can set the temperature precisely.

Fruit slices dry beautifully at 135 degrees. Ovens don't go that low.

We've done this for the past several years. Great for trail/travel snacks.

Thanks Yummy ,going to try and do your ketchup recipe in a few days,,just need the mustard and paste have everything else

Nice

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 26, 2019

Looks great

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:407167
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.