Agnostic.com

22 7

The motto on our money

Do you believe that putting "In God we trust" on our money,our police cars and in our schools is going to make us safer? I like the old motto e pluribus unum "Together We Are One"

Chefedone 6 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course not. This is stuff the FFRF battles constantly. And IGWT as well as "under god" in the Pledge of Allegiance has been challenged too, but will little to no success.

The "god" motto was an invention of the McCarthy era, when anyone who wasn't a god fearin' Republican supporter was a damn commie.
E Pluribus Unum sums up the philosophy of America's founding fathers and is a far better social aim. For years the USA took in the poor, the destitute and the oppressed, and forged a cohesive society.

Come to the UK, we don't put any of that crap on our money, I haven't got any banknotes in my wallet to check though, it's getting near pay day and I'm skint (again!) and we don't trust anyone, and with good reason after that f---ing Brexit nonsense!

Have you seen the new 50 p coin ?

@MarcIveson I haven't, that doesn't bode well!

@ipdg77 It's got some oath to God from the Queen on the reverso . Evidently it is to celebrate a jubilee, 65 years on the throne I think .

@MarcIveson Bloody marvelous!

@MarcIveson You are right Sir, I stand corrected. DEI GRATIA REGINA, (or DEI GRA REG) which means ‘By the Grace of God, Queen’. Seems to have been a feature on a lot of British coins, my Latin isn't up to much as you can tell.....sneaky bastards! lol

@MarcIveson That's one helluva constipation ;- ) 😉

@MarcIveson, @ipdg77 I suppose, being the head titular of the Anglican church, and being an interested party to the "Divine Right of Kings" philosophy, it stands to reason this would be on "her" currency.

Hell, no. I too prefer the original motto, they are words to live by. "In God, We Trust" is a violation of our Constitution, and meaningless.

"Some people" fix that by blacking it out.

@Reignmond I think you're going to get in trouble for scraping it off of police cars.

@JimG ?

Actually, E Pluribus Unum is Latin for "From many, one." But I understand your frustration. Here in Indiana, you can get a license plate with the American flag and "In God We Trust" on it at no charge, but other designs must be paid for. I remember being harassed by a woman at the BMV for not wanting one. She couldn't believe I didn't want it. Especially because it was free. I don't think she believed in atheists.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation started a lawsuit vs. the Treasury Dept. Anyone know the status?

@sassygirl I didn't know that but was going to suggest it to them. I'll ping Andrew at FFRF and see if we can get an update. I would imagine it's one of those 'shove it under the doormat litigations that judges don't want to touch'

I'm so irritated over the god thing on police cars I can hardly stand it. I'm sure there are more important things to be upset about. But that logo is just a slap in the face every time I see it. How is that even legal? And now that slogan is found in all kinds of government buildings...lol...I don't know where I was going with this, I'm just mad...

The police cars where I grew p had the motto, "To protect and serve."

I don't think there is any kind of benefit to puttign "in god we trust" on anything. It was only done to appease the McCarthyists in the 1950's, as was the adding of the words "under god" tothe pledge of allegiance. I dont' think any long term good can come out of appeasing fanatics.

Wasn't there (or in the Pledge) until the 1950's.....

Putting "In God We Trust" on money and police cars is just as useless as saying grace over a meal.

I like the e pluribus unum. Just to let everyone know, if you don't like the in god we trust on your money, please feel free to send it all to me. I will take it off your hands and carry the burden.

Absolutely not, it has no place in an age of scientific discovery, put instead, “In the scientific method we trust”.

Yeah, it's infected our police cars, too.

All the god shit on everything that isn't a freaking church needs to stop.

See my most recent post. Let's just change em ourselves!!​

Not in the least

Answer is NO. Actually, it may inspire someone to do something stupid.

"IN God We Trust" is an outrageous coup that the Christians pulled off!

No, I don't believe a phrase written on money, buildings, and civil servant vehicles makes anyone safer. What makes us safer is better laws and more people protecting us.

SamL Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

I like that one better.

Hi

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40892
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.