Agnostic.com

13 4

“Raising Arizona” fell with a thud. I once found it hilarious.

I have always loved American filmmakers the Coen brothers. Their films span many genres and styles, which they frequently subvert or parody.

In these horrifying times of the Trump presidency, I don’t find self-righteous, ignorant people funny. Last night, I ejected “Raising Arizona” halfway through the movie. It was uproariously funny in my 30s.

“This Friday is when the hayseeds deposit their government subsidy checks,” escaped convicts said gleefully, planning a bank heist. “This here bank will be ripe for the pickin.”

The times they are a-changing. Has my patience worn thin? Or has my sense of humor matured?

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another Coen Brothers fan here. It's been a few years, but the last time I watched it, I still loved it. It's one of the few movies that makes laugh out loud. Having said that, when I was a kid I thought Jerry Lewis was hilarious. I loved any movie he was in, but I can't watch them as an adult. My tastes are always changing. Hell, when I thought all good people were religious.

I still think it's hilarious and brilliant.

Deb57 Level 8 Oct 12, 2019

"I'll be taking these Huggies and whatever cash you got."

The answer is simple: YES.

@SageDave

What are you saying yes to? My patience worn thin, or my sense of humor matured?

@LiterateHiker Both - The two are not mutually exclusive. s far as I am concerned, the movie is still funny, but in a different way than in years past. But working with kids all day keeps my sense of humor in check.

Haven't watched it for years,I'm afraid that the humor would not wear well now

I understand that current events can taint a movie. When we have a criminal in the White House, it's hard to enjoy watching films featuring criminals.

I still love this movie. I've however always found Forrest Gump very disturbing. It is a successful propaganda movie, exhorting ignorance. Not so with Raising Arizona, IMHO. It isn't exactly "socially conscious" movie, but it doesn't have an underlying message that says "stupid is good," which is what Forrest Gump really says when he says "stupid is what stupid does."

You're in quite a mood today.
Maybe you're channeling "Rosemary".
I recommend sunshine and an alpine hike.
👌😎

Once was enough for me.
1987 was a long time ago.
I'm not the biggest Coen brothers fan.

Totally a f*** ec up movie, but still funny.

What lessens my enjoyment of a movie is getting basic ways that things work totally backwards:

“This Friday is when the hayseeds deposit their government subsidy checks,” escaped convicts said gleefully, planning a bank heist. “This here bank will be ripe for the pickin.”

Low income people cashing checks doesn't put money into the bank, it takes money out of the bank. When you cash a check you aren't actually dropping off a pile of cash, you just give them a piece of paper, and chances are you'd get (at the time of the movies making) cash given to you by the bank to go buy shit. So payday is actually when the bank has the least amount of cash on hand. The day before payday is when they'd have the highest cash inventory on hand.

This is why I have trouble enjoying most of what passes as entertainment. 😉

1of5 Level 8 Oct 11, 2019

@1of5

Instead, I figured "hayseeds" meant farmers who receive government subsidies for not growing crops.

That's interesting. I hadn't thought about my opinion of movies, but a while ago I noticed that I no longer appreciate The Onion. I don't even read it anymore. It's hard for me to appreciate satire when our real life is so much more far-fetched and unbelievable. Perhaps it's the same type of thing.

I haven't re-watched that movie in years. I should - maybe it would distract me from this living hell.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:412787
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.