Agnostic.com

5 1

Take a moment to think about the context in which your next decision will occur: You did not pick your parents or the time and place of your birth. You didn't choose your gender or most of your life experiences. You had no control whatsoever over your genome or the development of your brain. And now your brain is making choices on the basis of preferences and beliefs that have been hammered into it over a lifetime - by your genes, your physical development since the moment you were conceived, and the interactions you have had with other people, events, and ideas. Where is the freedom in this? Yes, you are free to do what you want even now. But where did your desires come from?
Losing a belief in free will has not made me fatalistic—in fact, it has increased my feelings of freedom. My hopes, fears, and neuroses seem less personal and indelible. There is no telling how much I might change in the future. Just as one wouldn’t draw a lasting conclusion about oneself on the basis of a brief experience of indigestion, one needn’t do so on the basis of how one has thought or behaved for vast stretches of time in the past. A creative change of inputs to the system—learning new skills, forming new relationships, adopting new habits of attention—may radically transform one’s life.

Sam Harris, Free Will

HermitVoyager 6 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live in a sheltered housing scheme I am a woman 70 tommorrow we have so many inequalities and unfairnesses in this place I believe to be a microcosm of my outer level of society. I grew up in kindness post war and my society has become more self obsessed and greedy than anything I remember - regardless of what expectations I have that are not delivered I always imagined there was a level beyond whihc most people would not dare to stoop - I was wrong and fee cheated that I was told lies and still am being told them by my government I have stoppped believing that there is anyone out there looking out for us - we are stuffed!

You are becoming a real existentialist. I chose a similar pathalmost 60 years ago and do not regret it.

I love this! We are nothing if we are not ever changing. We need to keep learning and adapting and questioning! A lot of questioning!

I must be unusual because I am free to do what I please. I don't care what my friends and family think. It's my life. I am living again. I don't need anyone's approval. If I want to go somewhere I can. I have removed the physical and financial barriers. I am living for myself no one else right now. Should I meet a partner in crime that could change but it will be my decision where I go and when.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41283
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.