Agnostic.com

10 5

LINK The Founding Myth: Why Christian Nationalism Is Un-American - TheHumanist.com

FTA: The Founding Myth argues persuasively, those views are largely irrelevant anyway, as the founders’ work on our national institutions reflect their political—not religious—beliefs. He explores how the founding historical documents themselves do not set up a Christian nation, or even a set of laws based on Christian principles. As Seidel frames it “Christian nationalists have never convincingly answered a basic question: How, precisely, did the Bible influence American political thought and America’s founding?” As he shows through detailed textual and historical analysis, “American principles and Judeo-Christian principles are so irreconcilable that we can fairly say: Judeo-Christianity is un-American.”

As The Founding Myth substantiates, this never happened. (The Prayer at Valley Forge by Arnold Friberg, 1975)

The book provides a close examination of the Declaration of Independence, followed by the Constitution and the principles enunciated in those documents, many of which arose directly in opposition to prevalent religious beliefs of the times. No phrase is more in opposition to the religious tenor of the day than “We the People,” which clearly enunciates that the basis of power is the people, not some supernatural power.

zblaze 7 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

T. Paine, author of "Common Sense" which helped spark the Revolution.

I've been wanting to read this book. Thanks for the reminder, I see that my local library has it

twill Level 7 Oct 20, 2019

“We the People,” which clearly enunciates that the basis of power is the people, not some supernatural power.

Nice and true conclusion.

Richard Dawkins: Nationalism Could be Worse than Religion
Never one to shy away from controversy, Dawkins' conclusion ruffled feathers.

I just finished this book last week, and I recommend it to counter your aunt Betty during the holidays.

I read this book and loved it! You can tell he researched the hell out it! He makes a “Christian Nation” sound ridiculous. Highly recommend it.

You can be sure I re-posted teh link to that article on my Facebook page.

I once did a word search on the US Constitution and found no reference to God anywhere wirhin it. Since then, I read a counter arguement which stated that one of the later Amendments (after the Bill of Rights) reffered to the date as " year of our Lord", and this reference of the date proved the Constitution was a "Christian document". What a stretch of imagination!

zblaze's openning comment already states the irreconcilable differences between the Constitution and the Bible. These differences are exemplified by the difference of the First Amendment and the first several of the Ten Commandments. The First Amendment prohibits government from interferring with religious practices while the first of the Ten Commandments prohibits the practice of any other religious practices or beliefs. The two couldn't be more in opposition.

If the founders had intended to create a Christian nation as many of today's Christians seem to believe, they could have certainly been much clearer about it than the very flimsy evidence today's Christians point to supporting their claim. I believe the evidence is very clear, and it doesn't support the claims of today's Christian extremists. The founders through the Constitution intended to protect the diversity of religions in this country, or they would have written the Constitution differently. So, either the Constitution doesn't support the idea that the US was intended to be a Christian nation, or our Founding Fathers were imbiciles who collectively wrote a document that unintentionally appears to say the exact opposite. My vote is for the former.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to know how the myth that America is founded on Christianity doesn’t add up compared to how the forefathers actually founded America on.

Andrew L Seidel is bloody brilliant!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:413236
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.