Agnostic.com

7 23

Today's hike: Teanaway Ridge and nearly Golden Week

Golden Week is coming up! Northern Larch are nearly all-gold.

Today with four women I did a steep hike to Teanaway Ridge, gaining 2,000 feet elevation over 7.8 miles total. A storm is approaching from Seattle. The strong wind was bitterly cold on the ridge. Even with a down jacket I got deeply chilled.

Seattleites have discovered this trail. We were disappointed to see 15-20 hikers. Must have been Seattle hiking Meet-Up groups spreading trail information on the Internet. Plus two hunters. In April 2018, we had the trail to ourselves.

Teanaway Ridge was crowded with people. So, we scrambled up to another ridge to eat lunch.

Glad mountains were not concealed by clouds.

Photos:

1. Northern Larch are beginning to turn gold.

2. Mt. Stuart from our lunch spot on Teanaway Ridge.

3. Mt. Rainier, 14,411 feet, from the trail. Not enough contrast.

4. Mt. Rainier in April 2018 from Teanaway Ridge trail.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You aren't happy for the people who have discovered the same gems you're enjoying?

@Shawno1972

"Tuck and Robin Lakes stink of human feces,"my hiking partner Karen said in 2018. "I will never go back." Leave No Trace includes packing out your poop. That's what Karen and I do.

"Soil erosion, damaged vegetation, altered hydrology, widening of trails, and increased muddiness are just a few of the ways overuse of trails has impacted the environment.

"In fragile environments like the Alpine Zone, a lack of education and an increase in foot traffic has all but destroyed parts of this delicate infrastructure found only in small portions of our mountains. According to Lester Kenway, president of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, β€œthe Katahdin Butterfly, once prolific on the mountain, is now listed as endangered,” potentially due to the boost in hiker traffic.

"Head to the White Mountains on any Saturday from Memorial Day to Columbus Day and you will be hard pressed to find a parking space, forget a sense of solitude. Parking at Lafayette Place Campground is almost nonexistent, and the number of rescues due to ill-informed and unprepared day hikers continues to increase."

"[thetrek.co]

@LiterateHiker Valid concerns. As long as it's not just hiker chauvinism. πŸ˜‰

@Shawno1972

What do you mean by "hiker chauvinism"?

@LiterateHiker Those folks who feel they are more entitled to enjoy the beauty of a nature hike because they believe their causes / actions / methods to be superior to, let's say, "common folk."

For example.

@Shawno1972

The idea that hikers feel superior to other people is frankly, paranoid and crazy. I have been hiking since age 21. Have met many hikers.

As a group, hikers care about the environment and respect others, except jerks who litter and despoil the environment.

@LiterateHiker And I grew up directly adjacent to the Pacific Crest Trail 2000 at the Cascade Locks, Oregon trailhead, near where it meets trail 400. I have run into hundreds of chauvinistic hikers. They are incredibly easy to identify: they practically announce themselves.

This statement just rubbed me the wrong way: "We were disappointed to see 15-20 hikers."

How dare they show up on your trail. πŸ˜‰

P.S. I'm teasing you. Mostly.

Great stuff! I like 2 & 4 best.
Are the trees slow to change colors out there this year? We are way behind schedule, still very green. I think we were last year too

twill Level 7 Oct 17, 2019

@twill

Northern Larch are one of only two conifers in North America that drop their needles in the Fall. "Golden Week" is in October when Northern Larch are fully gold.

Northern Larch grow in Eastern Washington (not Western WA) at around 4,000 to 8,000 elevation. They prefer a north-facing exposure.

Washington State is called the Evergreen State. I miss the glorious fall colors of Michigan. In Washington, deciduous trees are quite rare. Haven't noticed if they are behind.

Lucky we live in the mountains.

Nice hike, thanks for sharing. You have a lot of good energy. Keep it going.

Teanaway was one of our favorite areas. We often stopped there on our way back to the Seattle area from exploration trips to eastern WA. It's a beautiful place. Thanks for the pictures. 😍

I keep reading "Teenage Runaway" for some reason. lol

Stenz Level 6 Oct 15, 2019

You certainly do go on amazing hikes,such beautiul scenary

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:414563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.