Agnostic.com

19 4

Dating someone with Autism

Would you date someone who has Autism? Why or why not?

Tupacem 4 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Might not but depends how sever it is. Because it's symptoms can make it very difficult to connect with someone .

What Rugglesby said. Plus both my first boyfriend and my second wife were/is high functioning, among many other problems. Most likely my first wife too, but she's never looked into it. In fact my current relationship is probably the closest I've ever come to dating a neurotypical, and she's an opera singer.

My son is on the spectrum and he's the most intelligent person I've ever met. 11 years old. Atheist, but not because I told him to be. He's way more evolved than most... But he's also just not connected in many ways. He is the best! His contributions to my world alone are profound. ASD makes his life harder, but honestly all his differences make us closer. It's us against the world most days, and he makes me laugh! Quick witted, but doesn't understand sarcasm or apologies, for instance. He is the best piece of me. I love my other son too but when you have one neuro typical child and one on the spectrum, one needs you more. You form a bond. Before my son's diagnosis I was closer with my younger son but when my son needed me to be his advocate, things obviously had to shift. I would not change him. There's nothing wrong with him.... There's a lot wrong with the world we live in.

That being said, no. I need someone who can balance us out or I need to go it alone. I have severe anxiety and depression, an autistic child, and another child. I'm also gay in the deep south. I have a lot going on and I need someone who can integrate into that.

No, I work with a lot of kids with ASD. There's no way I could take it in my home too. I don't have the patience or kindness needed.

It depends on what you mean by "having aturism," since most high IQ, creative types are somewhere on the autism spectrum, since DNA links them.

Often, the higher the IQ, the more pronounced the autism and/or manic depressive symptoms..just read any famous person's biography.

Yes I would as long as they were hi functioning.

I don't think I would, no. I'm not a routine follower at all, so all we'd end up doing is yelling at each other.

Have dated people with Aspergers but it never goes anywhere. The conformity, rigidity and need for routine that goes with it rubs me up the wrong way, might have to play that game in my working life but my private life is an escape from that. My ideal in a partner relates to depth and subtlety of communication so it's an outright mismatch.

Kimba Level 7 Mar 22, 2018

Are you guys familiar with Lio Messi? He is the best footballer in the world....he is worth over 500 millions dollars and has Asperger's....so.

I might actually prefer it. I can pick up on social cues, but I don't like all the social games that people play because much of it seems like a ruse to me.

Guys with Asperger's Syndrome, yeah. I was married to a mechanical engineer who probably has it (not formally diagnosed) for 18 years and had 3 kids. I loved him dearly. His drinking I did not love so that's one of the reasons we aren't together anymore.

I tend to be attracted to Aspie characters on TV and film.

That being said, I have problems at times with Aspie kids. On the one hand I understand a lot of whar they are dealing with having studied a lot about Asperger's and sensory processing disorders (often comorbid with ASDs), but some of the behaviors are triggers for me.

Well I would be a hypocrite to say know as I have it, so it boils down to personality.

If no one dated autistic guys -- few engineers would ever get married! -- it all depends on location on the spectrum -- Nothing wrong w/ the shy and bookish that don't like to mingle! I wonder if either my wife of 50 yr or myself would have EVER married had we two lonely, antisocia nerds not bumped into each other in calculus class. When I realized that - I was so thankful.

ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) is quite a broad term ever since they coupled all kinds together . There's severe autism to aspergers or low to high functioning autism nowadays. I know two people with aspergers. No one would every guess they had it. They function the same or even better than their Neurotypical (not autistic) counterparts in all honesty--just very introverted. So yeah I definitely would date some one on the high end if their character is good etc.

I agree with @sassygirl3869 - depends on all the things that make me attracted to someone to begin with!

Nope. I see how some of them act at my place. Nope.

It would entirely depend on what kind and how severe the autism was and if I thought they would be capable of maintaining a relationship. If I did, it would probably be with someone who was living with Asperger Syndrome.

One of the people I am dating has mild Autism. She's a wonderful woman.

I used to teach children with autism and have a friend whose 18 year old daughter is autistic. I think it would depend on attraction, common interests, education, social and political beliefs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41558
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.