Agnostic.com

8 5

LINK Believers' estimates of God's beliefs are more egocentric than estimates of other people's beliefs | PNAS

I posted this link elsewhere in response to another post. As I thought about it later, I decided I would post it as an initial post on its own. The study conducted by Nicholas Epley at the University of Chicago basically concluded that believers use their own moral beliefs to determine those of their God's. The study used surveys and brain scans to draw their conclusions. I suggest anyone interested in the research refer to the article. It is much more complete than I will be here.

This research was an important contribution to my current beliefs and understanding of belief in diety. If true, and I thought the evidence was convincing, we are ultimately responsible for our own moral code, our own behavor and attitudes. Even those who attribute their moral behavior to their belief in a God or a religious code have chosen this behavior for themselves. Could they have chosen it without their belief in God? I think so; I don't believe their rationalization for any good or moral behavior is any more valid than their rationalizations for bad behavior with or without their religious beliefs (the Devil made me do it, or following some Divine Command Theory directive). In my estimation, this situation cause beluef in any particular God - or any God at all - irrevelent. What causes someone to be a decent and contributing individual has nothing at all to do with believing the right religion or believing in any religion at all. We as individuals are ultimately responsible for ourselves, our beliefs, and our behavior. God really has nothing to do with it.

RussRAB 8 Oct 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First commandment, not Don't Murder or Lie, Cheat or Steal; But, I am the lord thy god. Thou shall have NO other gods before me.

Yeah, almost as narcissistic as Trump....

And I didn't even need math to help me.

Makes perfect sense to me. In psychological parlance this would be egosyntonic.

Well, considering THAT the god entity depicted in the 3 major Abrahamic Religions is, in my opinion, a very Ego-centric, self-righteous entity, to say the least, would explain, to a larger extent, WHY the Believers, themselves, are so often also ego-centric and self-righteous.
For example, I have heard many say that " God is in me, I am the hands, feet, mouth, voice, eyes, ears, etc, etc, of God, I am an Instrument of God, God has chosen me personally for precisely that reason." is that NOT being ego-centric?

Sure as hell is!

You almost said it correctly, god is irrelevant because it is inexisting.

Why would anyone consider that any god had beliefs. I thought the Abrahamic one was all knowing therefore belief is irrelevant because everything is known!

Stranger and stranger!

I had a similar reaction to the posting's title. anyone who believes in a god would only be able to approximate what that god might believe in, based on his/her supposed statements and needs from humans. The Xtians believe that their god finds sexuality good only if it is heterosexuality. But, he/she "created" a world with rampant homosexuality, from mammals to insects. Hell, the whole spectrum of human sexuality. So, what do they know? Only what they want to know.

Your beliefs do not make you a good or decent person, your actions and behavior does.

Interesting, thanks for the analysis.

It makes sense. People would like to assume universal knowledge -- but in the end what they really have is only themselves.

From the abstract at the link:
The inherent ambiguity of God's beliefs on major issues and the extent to which religious texts may be open to interpretation and subjective evaluation, suggests not only strong egocentric biases when reasoning about God, but also that people may be consistently more egocentric when reasoning about God's beliefs than when reasoning about other people's beliefs.
Indeed, it may seem particularly logical to use egocentric information when reasoning about God, because religious agents are generally presumed to hold true beliefs, and people generally presume that their own beliefs are true as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:415874
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.