Agnostic.com

11 1

Psychic Dreams?

Looking for people whom have had psychic dreams of deceased relatives/ ghosts visiting them in their dreams.

HeavenExists 3 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Damn. I missed all the fun. Fuckin always....

Not sure which of us did it, but @HeavenExists appears to have pulled the plug!

@AMGT Indeed ... his hashtags didn't seem to fit properly! 😉

good, I saw the post and thought WTF? Was about to respond saying Wrong Forum, then I saw your post saying they were gone. I have had a couple of obvious believers just trying to get a rise out of me, they are no smarter online than they are in person.

@Rugglesby WTF indeed!

The words 'psychic' and 'dream' do not seem to fit one another. A so-called psychic, or psychic event, if such a thing existed, is consciously experienced. Our dreams occur when we are unconscious, and our mind is on an unscripted 'run time.' For our dreams we cannot be held responsible, but neither is there a shred of evidence that they are the result of 'external forces.' It is our own minds that haunt us. I'm compelled to quote one of my favorite agnostics, Robert Green Ingersoll, who admonished, "Let the ghosts go. We will worship them no more. Let them cover their eyeless sockets with their fleshless hands and fade forever from the imaginations of men."

I no longer believe in anything supernatural but like all of us, I have had experiences. It's all a matter of how we interpret these as to what has happened.
Here's a story from a friend of mine about his nephew who died from a brain tumor. My friend (now deceased himself as well) said he just could not deal with the death of Wesley. I knew both men well and knew they were close. My friend says then one night Wesley appeared in his bedroom and came close to the foot of the bed. Wesley said he was perfectly fine where he was and there was no need to worry about him. Wesley said he really was OK. My friend said he stopped worrying after this and he never saw Wesley again.
My take on it all is that he needed to see Wesley and be told this, and that is also why it happened.

I don't have psychic "dreams" as such, but waking visions. I "saw" and sometimes even "experienced," the deaths of my close relatives while awake, and was able to tell my spouse what had happened and to note the exact times. I was always right.

This even happened when the Thai king died, in 2016. I was at the EGV movie theater in Songkhla, Thailand, and just before the movie started, I suddenly saw the Thai king standing in one of his palace rooms, talking to two Buddhist monks in saffron robes. I knew he was dead and felt overwhelming sadness. I asked him (in my mind) if he was OK with dying, and he said he was. He had paused to mentally reply to me, then resumed talking to the monks as they passed out of sight down a hallway.

I collapsed, sobbing silently, trying to get myself under control during the movie. I kept telling myself that it was just my imagination, but I knew better, since this has happened all my life. When I got home after the movie I saw on the news that the Thai king had died at the time I was at the movies.

It seems you guys ran off HeavenExists with logic. Get the believers every time.

I've had dreams of my deceased mother, but I don't believe it was a psychic phenomenon or anything prophetic. As far as I can tell, it was just my mind replaying or remixing certain events that led up to her death rather than something supernatural.

i have dreams about my parents and other people all the time. it's surely all in my head because they never really tell me anything - it's just like a brain visit. i did have a dream the other day and this chic told me that she was staying at the 'sixth estate'... i googled it thinking it may be some place but when i googled it, it wasn't a place but something to do with news media in canada. i don't know where or if i ever heard 'sixth estate' before. it would have been cooler than shit if it were an actual place i could visit...but it wasn't and isn't

I am certainly no expert on dreams, and none of my dreams ever come close to representing reality. Many of them are disturbing, but I am used to that. My dad was an alcoholic and paranoid schizophrenic who I had a lot of resentment toward. He is in many of my dreams as well as all three of my dead brothers. Invariably, we are all much younger than any of them were before they died.

I do not remotely feel that they are "coming to me." If anything, this type of dream just involves unresolved issues from my past, nothing else.

I dream of deceased people in my life all the time. They are in human everyday form and not ghosts. My Dad and I had a very dysfunctional relationship. At 18 I literally had to run away from home in high school. He died three years ago at ninety-in and out of the hospital for years. We had a heated argument on the phone one week before he died. It did not get resolved/no closure. A week later I saw a stranger inhis casket. I've been having dreams with him for rmonths.
Also dream about my Nana who died 8 yrs ago at 109. She was my best friend and she appears often.
A really good friend from college died 26 years ago from Aids. Also dream about him. Never got a chance to say goodbye even though I had seen him in Miami 6 months earlier.

WOW!! 109??!!!

I have had dreams ABOUT deceased relatives. As I suspect almost everyone with a deceased relative that they care about has, too. I think you're already presupposing things when you describe that as being visited by them. Let's start with a neutral stance if we're going to begin an inquiry. People have dreams. People have loved ones. People have dreams about loved ones (living and dead). Is the paranormal, telepathy, psychic influences and precognition needed to explain this? If so, how?

@HeavenExists I have no issue with someone who has had a personal experience and doesn't see it as proving anything to others. However 😉 ...

You seem to be saying that the marker of a "psychic" dream is that it crosses some subjective threshold of coherence and vividness and is more easily recalled.

That sounds consistent with what dream research reveals, e.g.,: "One study found that less coherent dreams were harder to recall than ones with strongly felt content and organized plot lines. The dreams we are likeliest to retain—nightmares and other vivid, emotional dreams—are accompanied by greater arousal of brain and body and are therefore more likely to wake us up."

The brain functions that support laying down long-term memories are largely dormant during sleep, so it makes sense that a dream that engages you enough to awaken you before it ends, is more likely to be retained.

I note however that the label "psychic" is not used in the above quote (from Scientific American). Nor is it needed. The operative phrase is "vivid and emotional". Here again, I feel you are using a loaded, presuppositionalist term "psychic" that doesn't add explanatory or predictive power to your hypothesis -- just as, before, you were saying that dreams are "visits" by the deceased. It sounds to me very much like you have already decided that these dreams constitute visits and are primarily "psychic" in nature. This, for me, is a red flag.

I think you have to ask yourself if your purpose here is to try to attract others who have already arrived at your conclusions, or to lay down a systematic consideration of organic facts that lead critical thinkers to a supportable conclusion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41597
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.