Agnostic.com

26 8

Are you happier now?

For those who converted from religious to atheists, Are you happier now that you are a non believer?

MagicMark 3 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I very much so enjoy the pursuit of knowledge. I'm a scientist and despite what religious folks may claim, you really can't have both--religion and no science do not go hand in hand.

Mea Level 7 Mar 23, 2018

I never understood how anyone who does not take the genesis creation story serious can still be a christian. Without genesis the whole bible has no basis whatsoever. No original sin, no reason for Jesus to sacrifice himself to himself. It is very clear that evolution discredits genesis as does other sciences. Humans being poofed into existence in their current form (from dirt and ribs of all things), the sun not being created till after plant life etc.

@josh_is_exciting No. But I'll definitely look into it.

Christianity made my depression worse when I had it. The "God will take care of me mentality" made me gain 103 pounds. About mid way through my depression I final realized I was an atheist and because of this I needed to solve my own problems. Three years later I was no longer depressed and I currently lost 91 pounds of the 103 that I had gained. It took me one year to lose about 86 pounds.

I am definitely less anxious since I gave up the guilt and the fear of judgment and punishment.

Yes! When I stopped believing in a personal god, I no longer had to try to figure out why such a god would allow horrible things to happen--not only to humans but to animals. I also did not have to wonder why such a god would create a place of eternal punishment for the imperfect, tiny beings that it created for its amusement. And, the universe is much more amazing to me as a non-believer than it ever was as a believer.

I wouldn't say I converted because I never really followed another religion but I am happy. When I decided to officially become atheist it was like a huge weight off my chest. I feel a lot less stressed. I'm very free to be myself.

You don't convert from a religion to atheism; you deconvert.

I can have my own belief system-yes happier

Things make more sense. Even embracing what I don't and maybe never will understand is easier.

Yes, freedom at last from the fairy tales, false promises, and threats.

I don't know, I was never religious. I was a good Faker.

Religion really makes a lot of false promises and raises expe3cttions which creates a lot of disappointments in life. So, yes, wtihout religion I am a lot happier.

Absolutely! A lot less worry and fear, and no shame over stupid so called "Sins"

I am happy. What caused that is I let go of all hate. I am a seeker of knowledge,and question everything.

Definitely happier!

Definitely

Not exactly happier, but without the fear of hellfire and eternal damnation I feel like dropping my religion gave me a lot of breathing space so I'm having an easier life.

You bet I am.

Yes, I'm alot happier since I'm an atheist. Don't worry religious bs or "big brother" watching me. I can be myself with my views and sexulity.

Happier now? Never really drank the cool-aid but I am happy I am not a theists.

No, happiness isn't a permanent emotion however I am more content and intellectually fulfilled.

To me, I think it's give and take. Certainly I'm freer without religious dogmas and my morality is much more liberal and at the same time kinder to other living being than when I was religious. I feel the religious are better at dealing with existential crisis than the non-believers.

obis Level 6 Mar 23, 2018

I am no more or less happy. I am more informed by evidence, facts, data, logic, reason, common sense and I believe that makes my life real and I am able to deal with life's issues directly and confidently and that gives me much satisfaction.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.