Agnostic.com

29 3

How to explain what an atheist is to children?

How do I explain that I am an atheist to my 10 year old and 6 year old nieces? Keep in mind they believe in god and and talked their parents into taking them to church.

TimothyDeHoff 5 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I go with the tried and true idea that nobody believes in all gods and i'm just plus one. Kids seems to understand that they don't believe in the norse egyptian or roman gods and so they can consider its largely a matter of setting what youd end up believing. I also try to be gentle and respectful as I don't have a dog in the race.

I'm betting it's a phase. "Talked their parents into taking them to church?". Really?

Sounds like a school thing. All the popular kids go to church so we need to go. Someone brain washed them if it wasn't their parents.

I think six is far too young to try to explain your position. Though you could simply say I don't believe in god(s). That's pretty darn simple.

But a six yo may still believe in Santa so you're discussing this at the risk of their magical thinking.

Do they ask you? If so, give them an honest answer of your perspective. If not then why bring it up? They are nieces and not your responsibility.

Keep it simple: 'I don't believe in God'. Is there anymore 'xplaining' to do? When they're older (14, 15, 16) maybe they'll want to hear about your journey. Hope this helps. Kids matter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42138
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.