Agnostic.com

8 16

Today's hike: Twin Lakes and a slippery, icy trail

Today with seven women, I hiked to Twin Lakes, 8.6 miles with 1,100 feet of elevation gain. The women felt this was a lesser lake, not up to the standards of our favorite high alpine lakes. "I think it's beautiful," I said. It was a fun group.

Wet, icy and slippery maple leaves were underfoot. Mud was frozen and icy. None of us brought micro-spikes since there was no snow. We needed better traction.

Descending, I stepped up onto a slanted icy rock and slid backward. Landed on my butt and immediately slid sideways into a hole. Burst into laughter, unhurt. It was comical. "Will someone please pull me up?" I asked, extending gloved hands. They did. "You sure are a good sport about it!" the women said.

With daylight saving time, it got dark early. At dusk, I switched on a headlamp as we descended into shady woods. Most of my hiking falls and injuries have happened when I trip while descending a steep trail in dimming light. Then I put on my headlamp.

At the cars, I handed out jars of Cranberry-Apple Chutney I made.

"Do you have a photo of your daughter in her wedding dress?" I asked Gro when we got down. She got snippy. "Where were you two weeks ago when I was showing it around?"

"In a coma, obviously," I replied. The ladies burst into laughter.

The best photos were taken in the afternoon:

1. Upper Twin Lake

2. Lower Twin Lake largely dries up in the hot summer.

3. Right- Mt. David.

4. Linda took this gorgeous photo while descending. Lower Twin Lake.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here's a photo of Lower Twin Lake I took in May 2014.

You're just a hiking machine........Beautiful country you have there. I did some offroad motorcycle rides in the mid 90's in the area close to Mt. St. Helens, amazing.

@Dhiltong

Thank you. We all need more low level ecstasy in our lives.

@LiterateHiker Absolutely......

Beautiful scenery!

Unity Level 7 Nov 6, 2019

@RoyMillar, @bobwjr, @glennlab, @ShadowAmicus, @moosepucky, @ToolGuy, @jolanta, @Mitch07102, @Sealybobo

Linda took this gorgeous photo while descending. I love the reflections of the mountains in the water.
Lower Twin Lake.

WOW,,such a very beautiful pic,,that is worth framing

Beautiful tbanks honey

I miss those views and the conifers.

@RoyMillar

With eight women, we hiked in small groups of 2-3 people. I was in the middle group.

Descending in the fast group, Linda caught this photo at the perfect moment. By the time I reached Lower Twin Lake, the light was gone.

@LiterateHiker, Got to love those perfect moments ,Maybe you could mention to her to enter it in any photo contests she can fined

@RoyMillar

The only problem with the photo is the woman's hands in the lower left.

@LiterateHiker ,One could do a photo shop version ,but leave it in and they will know it is real , as there is a memory with the person holding the camera

Wow, really artistic it is.

@ToolGuy

Thank you!

Beautiful adventure and pics

sounds like a good hike.

I was going after sand shrimp for fishing. I went with a friend and low tide.
I got stuck and didn't want to say anything. I sunk up to my calves and slowly fell backwards.
Friend looked over and asked if I wanted help. "Nope, Its rather comfortable down here in the warm mud".

Beautiful

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:422881
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.