Agnostic.com

28 0

A serious event occurs that wipes out the power grid. What would you do, besides fumble around in the dark without a cell phone?

Disruption of the electricity is a more immediate concern than nuclear war?

atheist 8 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting question, I have a plan for this in Aus. But not UK, too population dense here. I think sit tight and hope for the best...poor plan, but the best I have for now. Emergency water. food and beeswax candles stocked up I'd probably be able to stay at home longer than most.

I have a few types of Solar Panels, including those with a battery to be charged. I need a larger unit, though.

@atheist
Sometimes, living in semi-rural Georgia is lime living in a Third World Country, I lose electricity a few times a year, sometimes for a day or more. The little Solar Panel chargers really help to carry me over. I still will at least have a charged phone, and all my computer entertainment and some dim lighting. I do have a powerful "jump box" for my vehicles which can also run many plug-in appliances for a little bit. I should get a big solar panel system and /or a generator. Powering the frig is an issue

@atheist
They are not a perfect solution, but they are handy for a bunch of uses. They are not expensive either, and the ones with a battery can be quick charged from a wall outlet.You can find them on Amazon by searching for "Solar Battery" or "Folding Solar Panels".

I live on my daughter and son in law's farm. Living on a small farm with our own well, garden, chickens, geese, ducks, guineas, pigs, wood stove with woods on the farm, so fairly self sufficient. I know edible wild plants, herbs that are medicinal, and I am a nurse midwife, so I can take care of many medical problems. We have friends who are also self sufficient, who we can barter with. My son in law can fix or build anything. My daughter and I are able to train horses, and the ones we have can ride and drive. We also have big dogs that are protective, and have been considering a flock guardian dog also. I also have some dried food and canned food stockpiled. My son in law has a rifle and shotgun. We aren't gun nuts, but having one or two doesn't hurt.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.