Agnostic.com

19 2

March For Life? (Stop Gun Violence)

Who is attending a March For Life (stop gun violence) rally today? We're having one today in my little town! IT was organized by some high school students and is being supported by various progressive organizations (Young Appalachian Patriots, Bristol Indivisible, Resist SWVA, APEC, etc.) I'm planning on marching, if it doesn't snow or rain. (Still under doctor's orders not to be out in inclement weather and not yet recovered from the flu/pneumonia.)

• 13 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 4 votes
  • 11 votes
BookDeath 8 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The locals showed up here in Colorado, all were clueless about the active role the people must take to defend themselves from potential murderers.
Indeed the logic suggests they are not against firearms; they only want the State to possess them, not the People.
And their ignorance about the failure of gun-free zones is astonishing, but this is Amerika, where we are expected to remain in fear

moxy Level 4 Apr 17, 2018

Support the students tataly, brings back memories of the civil rohts movement and anti war movement of the 60's. Yes I,m old enough to remember those days.

MrLee Level 5 Mar 25, 2018

Good for you! I live fairly close to you and didn't know of any marches that close or would have gone myself. I agree that enough is enough.

marym Level 4 Mar 25, 2018

Laramie Wyoming, I walked/marched!

My 16 year old and I were up close to the stage at the Chicago rally. I didn't even put her up to it. She just wanted to go. We got up at 5 am, took the 6:20 am train to the city in 34 degree weather (and underprepared for the wind), fueled up at a coffee shop, walked to the El and took a 20 minute ride over to Union Park by 9:30. But we got up close to the stage.

totally support the students

Please help me see what I am missing. I see a gun, any gun, as a tool for self defense, for hunting and for sport < similar to Horse Shoes, Bow and Arror, Darts, etc..). 99.009% of guns are bought for non aggression uses.

Two things come to mind that I wonder about:
1 - Why are we not protesting against ALL violent crimes (Rape, Murder and such) and put the blame where it belongs?
2 - Out of the . 001% of the guns used to commit a crime, it was the criminal who did it.

Again, I see the gun as a defense tool.

@BookDeath I would. PM sent.

I can't support physically as I'm in the UK

There were marches in other countries, which surprised me but as so glad to see. London marched near the U.S. Embassy, I think I read

I'm disabled and don't live near London either and I didn't know that.

Yeah the marches aren't very well publicised here but I think it's far to say that most of the UK would be in support of or at worst neutral to your cause. The shootings often get reported over here,.

Marching now!

Participated here in Bluffton.

Crowd was much larger than I expected.

I support the movement and I'm an activist of sorts. Not participating but I am fully aware that it is the squeaking wheel that gets the grease.
Distractors, trolls, and bots want to argue that we should ban sticks, knives, etc. as well. So far our school children have not been killled by these other things. Ban assault weapons or any weapon that can be used in that manner.We willl get around to the sticks and knives when they starty using them instead.

I am not a "Distractors, trolls, and bots"... I remember several attacks that happened using other means to harm and kill, two come to mind.

Please research Anton Lundin Pettersson and the Beslan school hostage crisis

@Potsandpans Well, here we go with posts of how many different ways people might be harmed and killed. It has nothing to do with the recent school shootings, Nothing to do with the NRA, and isn't going to stop the problem of our children being killed in their classrooms. With this being said, please tell me why you want to debate this? Am I supposed to tell you it is OK to kill our
children? Maybe instead you want me to say it's OK for you to own your damned rifle. IDK, but no debate here. Protest is a statement and not a debate.

@DenoPenno I might be mistaken, but I thought that we are trying to achieve the same thing: To stop people, school kids in this case, from being killed. My response was from your statement that "So far our school children have not been killled by these other things." but they have and at a larger number than by an AR. If you're wanting to stop kids from being killed, then I am not your enemy and no hostility is needed. As I have said more than once, children should be safe. I want to fix the problem by stopping the why people are killing each other.

Also, I am willing to bet that the protests are doing more to promote sales of these guns better than any ads from the NRA or the gun makers.

@Potsandpans I'm not willing to bet or debate, and I'm not going in for changing the subject. You win. We will simply blame the gun for the shooting.

@DenoPenno I am not in this to win, I am here to learn and to help others. I learn nothing from people who say what I already know, nor do I help anyone who won't look at things from a different point of view. If stopping criminals from hurting and killing is your intentions, I am on your side.

No one wins until we get the violence to stop.

Kids should feel and be safe at schools. I'm not in the arming teachers camp, we can't even trust them to not rape the students.
When a cop shoots someone, we blame the cop
When a drunk kills someone in a car crash, we blam the drunk
When someone does something good, we credit the person
Blaming the car for what the drunk did is like blaming the gun for what a shooter did which is like blaming a flame for what an arsonist did. I want to find a cure for and put a stop to bad things that happen. Looking at the numbers, pistols have been used to kill more than twice as many people in mass shootings, and way too many in smaller shootings than rifles, including the AR and such.

I think Ozzie said it best.

@Blindbird I see the point, but it's flawed. Before guns, warriors were sent into battle with other tools to kill. It's went from seeing the color of the eyes of the opponent to flying drones to hurt and kill other humans. I am SO against most wars.

@Potsandpans thats disingenious AF. You can take out 50 people with semi-automatic weapons in same time it would take to kill one person with a sword or staff. There is no reason anyone needs those kinds of weapons. If the government wants you dead,they'll just bomb you. Practically that is a completely nonsensical argument.

@Blindbird By definition of disingenuous, it is not. Governments have sent more into battle using clubs, knives and such that sent into battle with guns. If there were no guns, they would be sent to battle with other tools. And, although the fact is if the government wanted me dead, they could, I doubt that they would use bombs...agree?

@Potsandpans no I do not in fact. The fact that you are actually arguing that swords or clubs are as destructive as semi automatic weapons tells me you're either entirely full of shit,a complete idiot or both. Either way,talking to you is an utter waste of time.Buh bye

@Blindbird First, I won't resort to name calling or hate words. Second, I never said anything like that. Your meme of Ozzie is what i commented on. If bare hands were all they had, the government would send troops in without food or water of they could win a war without the expense.

Supporting the march and the movement, but the weather here is terrible. Not taking my compromised immune sysem out into it.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 24, 2018

I guess I shoud have clicked on other. I am participating but in writing and speaking out. I did attend a school walk out a week ago. I will do whatever it takes to make a stand.

I support the movement and the reasons for it, but I can't participate.

I'm sick today, and I wish I could be at our local rally. I have been watching the coverage on MSNBC, and I am in awe of the bravery and intelligence of the kids speaking today.

When I was in school, most guys carried a knife and there were several trucks in the parking lot with rifles on the rack in the back window. We are more accepting than ever befor and, compared to when I went to school, there is a lot less bullying.

I want to know what has changed about the kids.

At a guess? 40 years of GOP policy,insanely high stress levels and parents who work 50-70 hours a week just to pay bills and don't have the time and energy to care for their kids. We live in a society that is toxic to us, in so many ways.

@Blindbird How are you putting this on the GOP? The rules have changed to where no one can have a butter knife at school, say the word gun and if someone even thinks of looking cross eyed at someone else, they are called a hater and every one gets a trophy for playing. With all of that, things are still getting worse.

@Potsandpans I am laying the extreme economic pressure, the hysteria over the "collapse of the social order" brought about by right wing scare tactics, the continued easy access to weapons meant for killing numerous people quickly and the paucity of our public education SQUARELY at the foot of the GOP and the Democrats who followed along for campaign funds.

Below freezing today - watching live on MSNBC all day.

I think something must be done

I support the students on getting action to ban assault weapons...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42482
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.