Agnostic.com

8 15

QUESTION Everything I Like about Religion I Learned from an Atheist - TheHumanist.com

I love Barbara Ehrenreich, one of her books is on my nightstand now. Excellent author. In this article she says:

A couple dozen people committing suicide in preparation for boarding the mother ship somewhere is a cult, while a hundred million people bowing down before a flesh-hating, elderly celibate is considered a world-class religion. A half-dozen Trotskyists meeting over coffee is considered a sect, while a few million gun-toting, Armageddon-ready Baptists is referred to as the Republican Party.

And she goes on: And that is the philosophical basis of my own social activism. God, if there is one, has never shown a great interest in stopping wars, ending patriarchy, feeding the hungry, curing the sick, or so many other urgent tasks, which is why we have to do those things ourselves. If there isn’t a god to care for us then we have to care for each other.

HippieChick58 9 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Like very much it is so good when soembody puts into words what you feel but can't manage to get out for yourself - thank you that hit the spot!

The last sentence of this post “If there isn’t a god to care for us then we have to care for each other”, fired that old supernatural neuro pathway in my brain. Isn’t that a reason why a causal scentient entity would want to remain unrevealed? The purpose being to develop our own capacity toward empathy for each other. On the other hand, and based on the harshness of the “test”, such supernatural entity could use a little empathy itself.

If there was literally a supernatural power then he would stop the wars,but god is a propoganda of capitalist class to earn huge profits by creating communal effect inside them,so that they can not raise their voice against injustice.

FAIZ Level 5 Mar 26, 2018

Is it not ironic that fundamentalists imagine that without god we will all become utterly depraved, when the actual response is the realization that "if it is to be, it's up to me"? Or yet more deeply: "If it is not up to the heavenly wuss, it's up to us"? If community and the common cause of our humanity is all we have, then it is more precious, more to be protected, more to be nurtured.

My response to fundies is "you need the promise of reward in heaven and/or the threat of eternal damnation in hell to NOT be a murderer, rapist, thief. I am not because I believe they are just part of what it is to be a decent human being. So who's depraved, again?"

Not all, many wars have been fought over religious to prove an inane point. The ridiculous thought that people are going to be forced into something they do not believe in. The best example I can think of is the pope forcing Jewish people onto being Catholic, then supporting Hitler and Mussolini in WWII.

@azzow2 For me the jury is out on whether wars that appear to be fought primarily over religious ideology, are really just using religion to cloak the real, more Machiavellian reasons. And also, on whether in the absence of religion, cynical manipulators would not find some other leverage / purchase to gain their desired ends, and the relative effectiveness of those alternate means.

The situation is murky and deniable enough that arguing with theists that theism is the cause of most war tends to go nowhere, as it's just not a cleanly "provable" assertion; arguably, it's not a falsifiable hypothesis, at least with the current datasets we have to work with.

Intuitively it seems to me that there'd be less tribalism and therefore less war without religion, but the question remains: is tribalism largely religion-caused, or is religion simply a common expression of an innate tribalism? I tend to lean toward the latter, frankly.

Everything I learned about religion was not for all the years brought up in Ireland. The land of Saints and Scholars as it was called. Well forget the Saints bit. My learning on religion started when I retired and realised the lies I had been told over the years, the lies my Dear Parents and Grand Parents had also been told, buy that wonderful institution called the Church. Lieing, thieving, perverted bastards. How dare they call us the flock, the sheep being controlled by a Shepard. Religion is another name for big business and crowd control, nothing else. James

Leon Level 5 Mar 25, 2018

Like her.

I would post a reply but Admin would delete it.

(And email me to tell me.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.