Agnostic.com

10 1

The "N" Word

I've long thought that hidden within one of science's greatest strengths, is one of its greatest blind spots. "N" or number of subjects studied, lends strength to the conclusions in proportion to its increase. The greater the number, the more reliable the data is considered. That's as it should be of course. What that means though is that the data apply more to our species than to any given individual. So it seems to me, and if any of you know otherwise, please catch me up, that while science is a great tool for studying our species, it's almost irrelevant when it comes to understanding the outer reaches of individual capacity, as the weight of which would surely be diminished as ( n ) increases. How often does science do massive studies that have an ( n ) of 1? I've never heard of one. So we know, through science, a lot about the accomplishments and current performances of our species, while having to depend on not much more than folklore for an understanding of individual potential.

skado 9 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes but any good study should describe the bell curve, if not an even more complex model, and the greater the sample the wider the curve will be.

Absolutely agree. The greater the degree of ā€˜Nā€™, the more generalised the output.

Really, for me, there is another process we have to do to ascertain the ideal sample for the study being undertaken which requires some evaluation of the hypothesis and the expected outcome, depending upon the context. šŸ¤“

Research is not as easy as some people think!

Us Humans are a complex species. We still don't understand what we're doing in this world and fight all the time. It's probably why aliens haven't made first contact. We're just a fucked up world.

Trod Level 5 Nov 22, 2019

I think this is an arbitrary distinction between "group" and "individual." There is really no distinction. An "individual" potential, to the extent that it is unique to that particular individual, cannot truly be understood without understanding why others do not share that uniqueness. An individual human being, taken out of the context of the species and society, cannot be meaningfully understood.

I would disagree that we know "a lot about the accomplishments and current performances of our species." We know some, but our understanding is very much muddled, and sometimes by mystical thinking. The arbitrary boundary between "individual" and "the rest of the universe" is just that, arbitrary.

As I have said many time here, and elsewhere, there is no "one size fits all" for Homo Sapiens.

Way to click bait like a shame less failing youtuber!

The problem with looking at studies of only one person means that the data only applies to that one person, and therefore might not apply to everyone.

That is why these types of studies typically don't get much traction in the social sciences, where finding one person who meets the criteria is akin to cherry picking data.

Some of the greatest leaps in neuropsychology came from individual case studies.

Good to hear. Thanks.

does individual testing like blood sugar or iq or even something like height not give us an individual measure?

Yes, the closer to the physical side, the easier to measure.

I originally wrote this as a response to Agnieszkaā€™s post on happiness
[agnostic.com]
so I was thinking more about the intangibles.

@skado IQ is not in the vicinity of the outer capacities of the individual?

@skado perhaps the number of data points and their relevance diminishes as those Outer Limits are approached. ? a matter of complexities?

@hankster
Iā€™m not sure.

@hankster
Maybe so. A lot of the stuff in the happiness video sounds right on for the group, but I know of some individuals who break all those statistics constantly, and these science reports rately mention that.

I don't know that I'm making any sense, but it makes me think about a one pole teepee vs say a 100 poll tp.

N-word? You made me click. šŸ™‚

This requires some thought.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:429942
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.