Agnostic.com

25 0

Good morning everyone. I have mixed emotions about "mediums" and wanted your thoughts. One of my nieces went to one and was told that my mom would be passing soon and my dad was waiting with open arms. I used to believe in this stuff but as I've gotten older I question the after life, spirits, etc. A big part of me wants to believe it because my mom is suffering so bad from dementia. Have any of you had an encounter with a medium, if so, did you believe it?

Presley1209 7 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No encounters with mediums. I think they're charlatans, just like clergy.

Just a bunch of people that tell people incredibly vague things (that could apply to basically anyone). IF this thing happens the everyone gets all: "See it's real." I laugh at christians who go to them because seeing fortune tellers or getting into astrology is forbiden in the bible.

All mediums are frauds.

I think that perhaps some of them really do believe they have powers. They don't, of course, but some might really think they do. And some are just monsters out for a scam.

I had one telling me I'd be moving far away soon and to keep an eye out for a man with the initials RDJ

It's been 5 years and I'm still here and Robert Downey Jr has not come to take me away

Its all a load of BS. If they do their 'readings' for free, then they are well meaning morons. If they charge for their 'services' then they are charlatans preying on the vulnerable. Have no truck witrh any of them.

Seeing a loved one suffering is hard, my Nan recently passed away after a decade of dementia, alzheimer's, leukemia, strokes etc., so I sympathise, but don't let yourself be taken in.

Nomad Level 6 Mar 25, 2018

Thank you for sharing your story. I have not been taken in my niece was though. And I believe my sister also believed it as well. I do hope she passes soon because it's such a difficult situation and it just breaks my heart every day.

I don't think there is any rational reason to believe in psychic phenomenon - particularly anyone who claims to see into the future. There are people skilled in manipulating your credulity, but that's the extent of their "abilities."

Some may legitimately believe that they have psychic abilities, but the sane ones are the lowest form of parasitic vermin.

JimG Level 8 Mar 25, 2018

Have a look for Derren Brown videos on YouTube he did a brilliant programe with Richard Dawkins explaining it all

It is just educated guesses based on what the pettioner reveals.

I have never had an encounter with one. I disbelieve in their supposed powers and would not pay hard earned money for them to share their vague-er-eese (vagueries). Wanted to use that word, but not sure how to write it. Bottom line: their vague predictions and other such nonsense.

I think any decent Medium would not share something like that, it's irresponsible. I have had mixed experiences but one of my friends is a superb Medium, told me things about myself no-one else knew.

Telling someone that their grandparent is gonna pass soon is not a psychic ability. It's a fact of life that old people die.

I went to cassadaga once for shits and giggles and was told that something was going on in my stomach area. I was of menopausal age so yeah, no shit. But that is such a vague comment that could be about anything from constipation to cancer.

There is a reason that they must take your hand; many health or behavioural clues can be gleaned from your nails and skin but the main reason is be able to tell when their vague comments strike a nerve.

As a paranormal investigator, I don't trust them. I've heard of some spot on but most just say things others want to hear and they have a way to draw that out of a person.

I believe it's fake. I suggest that you visit one but take a friend with you. Before the reading, ask your friend to take note of times when the medium was "cold reading" you without you noticing it. And ask your friend about the "cold reading" after the session.

However I sympathise with your sentiments. My mom, my sister and her husband are still semi Catholic because they believe that they'll meet their dead loved ones again. I can't take that comfort away from them.

Here is James Randi about psychics and "cold reading":

There are other videos on YouTube on "cold reading".

I have recently gone through a similar family situation. It is a grueling, painful experience. You are in an emotionally vulnerable spot right now. Look, I think psychics, mediums, whatever are total BS, but if it brings you some comfort, go for it. You can always revisit this issue later.

It didn't really bring me comfort, she could go on for years like this, but I think it did my sister. I suppose if she does pass soon then I might believe.

My emotions on this topic are clear. They are all negative. This pseudo (and not even that) "science" is complete bullshit. As has been said, mediums speak in generalizations that apply to EVERYONE. In your niece's case, she is being told exactly the comforting words she wants to hear.

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for your input.

I had a reading with a Jamaican lady named Rene who I met in the 70s. No charge for the reading of my palm. She was fairly accurate predicting my love for water, lakes, rivers, streams - my spending time near them and the mountains. I went to college two years later near Mt. Monadnock in NH and there was a lake there and rivers nearby. She was wrong about children. She saw 2 boys and a girl. Might have had a miscarriage early in my marriage, but I ended up having 2 girls. As I said there was no money involved. Believed her at the time, now no.

I saw a medium who came up with names and many things she said came true, however I believe mediums are not allowed to tell you stuff like someone about to pass or bad news in general....This is what I read...
Terminate any session that doesn’t feel right. No reputable psychic will ever predict your death, foretell a tragedy, give you winning lottery numbers or inform you that you have a curse put upon you and your family and that to remove it, you need to return repeatedly. A reputable psychic will also not keep increasing their fee with each visit, or expect that you buy ancillary merchandise from them on a regular basis. Run, don’t walk, from anyone who conducts business with you in a manner that does not feel authentic. On rare occasions, I may be challenged in connecting with a client. In the past ten years, this has happened about four or five times. In those situations, I will stop and ask the client how they’d like to handle it, an option of which may be to end the session at no charge to the client. An inauthentic psychic will bluff their way through for being focused on making a buck.

I like this answer: I'm guessing very few genuine mediums, many fakes, many with some intuitive ability and who mean well but are not very good. However I disagree that there is no such thing as a medium. A newspaper crime reporter I knew many years ago set out to prove a local Los Angeles trance medium a fake: He spent a year investigating him and came away a believer. In his book, Telephone Between Worlds,and told to me personally he documented over 20 languages from supposedly deceased loved ones giving verbal messages to their friends and relatives. A friend of mine who happened to be Jewish, told me she received a message from her 21 year old son in Yiddish. He had dies of a brain tumor. He gave his chilhood nicname and said he was working with children on the other side. My own father came through speaking in his Scottish accent. I had never met the medium before, there was no charge. Completely free, and there was no way he could have known my father had died or that he was Scottish. I asked my father was he in heaven, he first pointed to his head, obviously referring to his head injury and said he had no pain and was very happy and that he was in a beautiful place 'with the old folk' my grandparents, etc., and I would be amazed some day to see 'all this' that religion had it wrong about heaven and hell and that the state of our heart and soul determined if we were in a heavenly or hellish state, and that is what we take with us after death. There is no sudden enlightenment, we virtually take our state of mind with us and this along with those of like mind creates our reality in the spirit realms. That the heavenly realms are not a monopoly of we Christians. So my take is that atheist or believer makes no difference. Just become as good as a person as you can be while you are in this physical reality. Not bad advice really, even if none of the above were true. And if not true, if no such thing as an afterlife, we will not even know that as there will be no conciousness to know anything with. We will have no memory of our lives, or friends, or family. or our accomplishmets or that we have ever lived at all. Quite a sobering thought. Your life and all you have gone through would be for naught! Quite honestly, even without the above experiences that would make no sense to me - that this vast universe, human life. evolution, has no purpose whatsoever.

@RobertEvans I have had one positive experience with a medium that I cannot explain how she would know about certain things in my life. She told me things I did not know at the time one about a policeman who had past from London who came to say hello, I was puzzled at the time. When I spoke to my mother she said ah that was probably your Grandfathers brother who was in the metropolitan police in London.

@Tiffanny Thanks for message, Tiffany. Yes no question in my mind they do exist and can pick up amazing bits of information they could not possibly know. even without asking you any questions, such as in your case. But very few that are really good, and many fakes as I say. A friend was just interviewed for a TV show about mediums and spent an hour with one. She said she was really skeptical but his knowledge of details of her life that no one could know except family who had passed away really blew her away. Of course she did not pay anything for the reading.

While some of these people may be well meaning it's just too big a jump to believe in them.

While some of these people may be well meaning it's just too big a jump to believe in them.

I was accosted by a "psychic" at a metaphysical store once who said I was molested by my dad when I was a child. Who just randomly says that to someone? It's not true, btw.

Wow! I probably would have smacked them!

I believe in psychic ability. However, I do not believe in mediums per se, as they all seem to me to be con artists. Rather, I think most people with true psychic ability would keep quiet about it and use it only sparingly (if they have control of it), and never for money.

And really, if I may be blunt, if your mom has advanced dementia, she no doubt will be passing soon. There's nothing psychic about that.

marga Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

Really? Not to sound morbid but I hope you are right about her passing soon. I can't take much more. I want her at peace. Thank you.

@atheist I didn't define it. I just said I believe in it, although not the common garden-variety scam type. I agree, it is not objectively true, but it is also not objectively false. That's all I'm saying.

@Presley1209 I know what you're going through. I cared for my mother, who had Alzheimer's, for 10 years. It's a horrible disease.

I want to thank you all for your comments and your experiences. It really helps me in this situation. As I replied to somebody I was not taken in by the medium it was my niece. I would like to believe that she would pass soon just so that she would be at peace as well as the rest of us. Thank you all again for your comments it really is appreciated.

My mother believes anything, I would say totally ignore it.

I've never had experience with one and never really wanted any. I've always felt that it's only real in the movies. If a medium can tell me the winning lottery numbers for this week then I'll believe it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43060
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.