Agnostic.com

49 4

Are Believers Better Citizens?

Here is a Piece from Psychology Today.

Plante casually claims that religious people are "better citizens" and "behave better." And without citing any sources, he tells us: "Research has consistently found that religious people are less likely to engage in criminal behavior, marital infidelity, alcoholism, unprotected sexual activity. . ."

In other words, according to Plante, if you're not religious you might be a good person, but on average you are more likely to have these undesirable characteristics. This is a bold assertion that, of course, immediately puts secular individuals on the defensive. (Just imagine if the same claims were made against any other minority group.) It is precisely claims like these that lead to many Americans having an unfavorable view of atheists and other nonbelievers.

alon 6 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments (26 - 49)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is bullshit.

That is malarkey. My biggest experience has been with the LCMS believers and all I can say of it is that it is a cult of the most nasty, reprehensible and appalling people I have ever associated with.

BS

And the Christians of today prove the complete fallacy of this idea.

Non-believers are also extremely unlikely to deny medical aid to anyone who needs it, which is something we can not say of our more religious peers. With their religious exceptions to treating patients of different religions or of the lgbtqa community that they do not approve of.

It seems clear to me that in this case non-religious people make better citizens.

Some yes, some not. Those studies are a load of b**s.

Not really valid without the data. One would assume that if he is a practising psychologist he has access to studies that support this.

We really need to see the piece in context in the journal. Have you got s link to the article please.

Specious, tendentious drivel. No facts to support, just ideology to articulate biases.

Makes me wonder why, then, religious prisoners are over-represented for their groups and atheist and/or agnostic prisoners vastly under-represent their group.

I would question this and ask for data to support his assertions. I don’t believe he can present an unbiased opinion on this coming as he does with a definite religious bias...and a Catholic one at that.

I respectfully disagree. In my own experience, I was not a very ethical person when I was religious. I was taught not to think for myself, but simply to listen and obey. Only when I rejected religion did I start thinking about ethics. Now, before doing anything, I ask myself if it will do harm to anyone else. If so, I do not do it. Now, I think ethically, with a desire to help others, and to avoid hurting them.

It is actually quite the opposite. Also consider the source, Plante is a professor of Psychology but also of religious studies at the Augustin Cardinal Bea, S.J. University of Santa Clara a known jesuist place of brainwashing, ergo pure bullshit.

In a word, horseshit.

Christians are "sinners" to, they are "just forgiven". Atheist are sinners to, they are "Just accountable".

not likely although they obey more...

blzjz Level 7 Nov 25, 2019

Typically yes

gater Level 7 Nov 25, 2019

Given that the prisons are full of xtians and not atheist I am guess not. "We have this statistic thanks to a 2013 report released by the United States Federal Bureau of Prisons obtained by blogger Hemant Mehta. The report looks at all the federally run prisons in the U.S. — that makes up about 218,000 prisoners — and the inmates’ religious affiliations. When they say that less than one percent identify as atheist, they actually mean 0.07 percent. That’s right, 0.07 percent. That is way less than one percent." [alternet.org]

Bullshit

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 24, 2019

Believers are just bigger hypocrites.

actual sources prove otherwise which doesn't surprise most of us.

No, generally worse. They are believers because they are weak minded and in need of reinforcement, albeit false, to function day to day. Being weak minded, they must build rationalizations as to why they are better than others.

I never ask a question about better citizens or worry about how to be a better citizen. Politics keeps that issue going all the time.

Some came be yet others can be fanatics 🤔

I call immense bulshyt on that one. It's a shame you didn't share a link to the whole article.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:430791
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.