Agnostic.com

25 6

Hi All! I am finally on a track to get my first ever tattoo. I've thought this through for a while, about where and what I am placing. I will be getting inked in about a month, if things go as planned. Now, I need your help and input, especially those with watercolor tattoos on relatively dark skin. My skin tone is olive, and I tan easily. I want my tat to have many reds and oranges, but I am worried about what it would look like on my skin. So... if you don't mind, show me your watercolor body art, and if you have any last minute suggestions for a tattoo virgin? Many thanks in advance!

Blizzard 7 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have several. I’m pasty white so I don’t have the tanning gene. Definitely ask your artist about it though, they should have lots of suggestions and/or advice. I was told the sun is the biggest enemy to ink.

P.S. Don’t listen to the other posters saying not to do it. If you want it and you’ve thought long and hard about it....go for it! I love mine and if someone is going to judge me for my ink or my nose piercing....I don’t need them in my life.

Thank you!

Good for you! I love tattoos. Have several. Sounds as if you've done your homework. Found the right design, the right artist and now all that's left is to go in sit down, relax and enjoy. It isn't nearly as painful as your mind has made it. Yes, it burns. Stings a bit. But in my experience, women tend to handle pain well. And yes, tattoo addiction is a thing. But it's great. Lol. Please don't listen to the judgemental people who tell you not to do it. They don't have to look at them. It's your body.

Lia65 Level 4 Mar 25, 2018

Lia, thank you! I am very excited about this one, so definitely taking my time in the process! Judgmental people will always be there, I am judged by so many people for so many things, if I were to take them all to heart, I wouldn't be the badass that I am lol

None of mine are the style you are looking for, nor is my skin like yours. That said, the important thing is to find an artist who does that kind of work, is honest, and likes your design. Some artists are great, but cannot do what you want. Some can do what you want, but won't be willing to give yours the attention they would give to one they like.

Yes I've been researching local artists for a while. I've turned down a couple of offers because I didn't see what I was looking for in their portfolios

Congrats on taking the plunge. I'm a late bloomer to tats. I have two now, both are pictured in this group (Groot and an elaborate Tiki surrounded by a rainbow, flowers, and above, the cosmos <trippy, right?>. I don't have the issue of having beautiful olive skin and I tan normally, but any colored tat you get will be more difficult to see under a tan, and will become more visible as the tan fades. Not much to be done unless you choose the colors carefully. Your tattoo artist should be able to provide guidance on that. When you're in the chair, relax, drink water, and sit still. LOL!

Sitting still may be an issue! Lol I'll do my best

My two tats represent 25-30 hours in the chair combined. The Tiki tat was done over several weeks' time. 3-4 hours per sitting. Groot was done by the same artist at a tat convention at the CA State Fairgrounds. It was about 7 hours straight.

@IAMGROOT wow holy crap!!! Is it because of the size or detail that it took so long?

@Blizzard Both. Tiki is on my left upper arm and shoulder, Groot is on my right. Did you find the pics here in the group photos?

@IAMGROOT I saw one on your profile image, but I couldn't see the other pics

@Blizzard I'm sorry. I keep thinking you're posting in the group. Please visit and join the For The Love Of Tattoos group. I think you wanna be there anyway. =] But here's my tiki.

I'm not a tat fan either, but it's not my body nor my business. I will say that I hope you will go to a real artist, there is a huge difference. I have a daughter who does them. She has been in Florida all month doing a guest seat in Orlando. She does great work and is saught after by many in the industry.

Thank you. Yes I'm very picky on arts. I have been looking through portfolios

Go for It! I'm as yet uninked, but this is my year. Can't wait to see what yours looks like! Please share!

I will if I go through with this!

I got a paw print on my shoulder for my 21st birthday. That's it. I figured it was better than getting drunk.

I got mine not very long after my divorce. The sensation was a bit like being scratched by a cat -- painful, but not unendurably so. Took about three hours.

What I learned along the way was:

1. Really baby the tat for a few weeks after you get it. Cool showers aren't very pleasant but hot water on un-healed skin can make the colors run.

2. Get yourself a big container of Aquaphor or its equivalent -- unscented. That helps your skin heal and keep moisture sealed in. Apply it twice a day while the tat is still young. If it's on your back and you don't have a friend to put it on for you, a wooden spoon (that you are willing to throw away afterwards, they're inexepensive) is a good way to reach around to get the lotion on your back.

3. Keep it out of the sun, and if you're going to expose it, sunscreen. That's what makes the colors fade over time. It's a slow process so if you skip the sunscreen once or twice no biggie, but don't make a habit of that.

4. Especially if you have darker skin than my pale Nordic almost-white, for the ligher portions of your picture make sure your artist uses white ink to lighten the area. It'll make your art pop out and add a layer of depth that will impress everyone.

Enjoy!

There's are wonderful suggestions! Thank you so much for your time and advice!

Reds don’t hold up well in the sun. Here is an excellent example.

First pic is inside of my arm. Second is outside. Fifteen years ago, the red was all through the green. The purple was too. Inside and out.

I’ve got about 30 hours of work. Keep the color to skin that doesn’t see the sun. Stick with black, blue, and greywash for the others.

Research your artist. Check their portfolios and reputation. Calves, forearms, shoulders are all good starting points. Neck, face, chest are harder. Ribs, belly, knees, any other bony parts are all hardcore.

Also, as any other kind of opinion, everyone has one. It’s your body, so it’s your choice. Period. I’m not saying decorate as elaborately as I have, I’m saying to do wtf YOU want. My daughter followed in my footsteps, my son has not one tattoo or piercing. 🙂

That's helpful! Thank you!

Good luck not my thing. Both my daughters have tatoos, My younger one, 22,used to want to be a tattoo artist.

Thanks!

Make sure it has some sort of meaning for you or a story to go with it , apart. From that shop around until you are comfortable and happy with the tattooist

It does, and I'm still checking out the shops. I narrowed it down to two artists so far.

My suggestion is don't do it. I'm not a fan of tattoos and do not have any myself. However, my own 2 daughters have many of them. I remember when my youngest daughter got a giant unicorn tattooed on her left shoulder. She came in going through endless talk about how I'm gonna lecture her forever now cox she knows I don't like them and she got this tattoo, etc., etc. I looked at her a moment and said there is no lecture. I know what I told you. Now that you have this thing remember that it is you who have to live with it the rest of your life.

Thank you for your input, but I am already decided. Seems that you came to terms with your daughter's decision, kudos for that!

@Blizzard Coming to terms with her decision was easy. Anything I would have said or done would have to be after the fact. It is what it is.

Try looking into various shades of gray instead of bright colors if you have dark skin. Shop around for a good tattoo artist in your area. Better to pay a higher price for best quality since it's.. ya know.. permanent.

Marz Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

Thank you. I did consider dark as well

I only have one, I have fair skin but am out in the sun all the time, most people do not notice it.
I gave my daughter her first tattoo for her 21st birthday (she is now 33) we spent weeks designing it. Make sure it is something you will be happy with forever and that it really means soething to you. Also, care, they are addictive, she has dozens now.

I do have a lot of meaning assigned to it. I was thinking about it for a few years now. I've heard about the addictive part. I guess I will have to keep that in mind as well

Relaxing is the best thing you can do and have something to eat before you go. I have tattoos and have done tattoos.

Thank you, I will!

your welcome

I just got this one 2 days ago.

Lia65 Level 4 Apr 10, 2018

Oh my! That is so beautiful!

@Blizzard Thanks!

Tattoos seem to be a modern fashion. When I was young they were the preserve of sailors, criminals and circus exhibits. Now it seems no more exotic than having your ears pierced. Bear in mind that your decision will be for life and that fashions change. Personally, I don't see the point, but then I feel that way about jewellery too. I just hope you don't regret it, whatever you decide to go with.

Pretty sure I'll die without any skin marking except the scars and dents and calluses of a life lived.
To each their own though.

You will post the finished tatoo right? Maybe with an explanation of the symbolism too? Can't wait to see it.

you are an original . don't do it

Don't do it.

Don't do it. Everyone who gets a tattoo eventually regrets it. It may look wonderful today. What will it look like in 20 years? Fuzzy, shapeless and quaint. Think mullet, tie-dyed shirts, and bell-bottom trousers. That's how cool your tattoo will be down the road. It is said that getting rid of a tattoo with current technology is three times as expensive and takes three times as long. Finally your prospects of getting a job, a date, and a mortgage will be diminished proportionally to the size, location, and bizarre factor of your tattoo.

Don't do it! I think they are all ugly.

Apparently it is a generational thing but when I was growing up I always thought of tattoos as things prisoners got.

Congrats to get it on ur body.

FAIZ Level 5 Mar 26, 2018

Would you hang the tat (picture) on your living room wall? If not then... ?

I would actually

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43225
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.