Agnostic.com

15 1

When did you know?

When did you know that the religion you grew up in was not real?

Was there a specific event that caused the change or was it a gradual progression?

Fab 5 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was mostly a gradual thing for myself. I was raised Lutheran, going to church on Sundays, Wednesday confirmation classes, vacation bible school in the summer and Catholic church on major holidays when we would visit my mom's family. I was around 14 at one of the Wednesday classes when I asked a question. I don't even remember what the question was. My pastor's wife looked at me with an angry look and said "we don't question god!" That was the beginning. I started studying other religions. I even joined a coven for a bit. But the more I looked into it the more I saw it was all a lie.

Since I was born athiest, I continued to be athiest. Mom sent me to Sunday school to learn about religion, but I never took to it. Religion wasn't a thing we discussed in my family.

I think I knew at about 10, when I had an outburst and said, 'I don't believe in Santa, The Tooth Fairy, God or Jesus'. I got told that I had to believe in God and Jesus, but knew already that there was no logic in it. I knew for certain when I realised at 16 how cruel some people were and that 'God' let them be. No omnipresent being could bear letting innocent people (and animals) suffer like that, it just didn't make sense to me. Plus he created Lucifer/ Satan and so would have known how things would pan out. A silly story really.

When I was 4. I never believed it

I realized my religion wasn’t real when my high school teachers couldn’t keep a consistent doctrine from year to year. Also I hated being forced to do a bunch of stuff and it got me suspicious about why a God who relies on self expression and free will gives burning in hell as an alternative to not following a pretty strict set of rules.

Adam7 Level 4 Mar 26, 2018

I actually became atheist in high school, but went back and forth through multiple religions. I was raised in a fire and brimstone household, so I always was a bit scared I was wrong. It wasn't till my 30's that I started college and took religion classes that I realised how basically the Christian religion was a Frankenstein of other religions. I guess the truth did set me free.

I had to study theology to become a counselor in Germany. I also studied ancient histories, cults and other religions as a paranormal investigator. The story of Jesus kept popping up under different names.
That's about the time I started doing the math.

We never went to church when I was a kid. Only once or twice. I roamed around an empty church with a friend at the age of maybe 10 or 11 while she told me about all the Catholic rituals and beliefs. It all sounded crazy to me. As a teen, I wanted to go to church and youth group like my friends, and I REALLY tried to make it work, but I just couldn’t buy into it.
So I guess I was never religious to start with.

When I was 16. I stopped being a good little ignorant christian that never attempted to read the bible at this age. Instead of just parroting what the pastor said, I took a look for myself. This is what started sowing my seeds of doubt.

I figured out Santa Clause, Easter bunny, and tooth fairy by the time I was about 7.The good stuff took longer because I thought it had to be real. We, and all my friends went to church and stuff! My agnosticism started around 17. Spent a lot of time studying about god to no avail. Admitted I was an atheist when about 25, and became re-convinced that god was imaginary at 33.

I was reared Catholic and I was inquisitive as a kid, but I received the quelling responses that led me to be a devout teen. I really started questioning again when I was in college, about 19 or 20 years old, and that's when the tapestry started to unravel. A little history about the Catholic Church and some insight into the theology made me realize it was nonsense.

A gradua;l rpgressopm duriong m,y teen years.

Before age 12 my religious experience was only stories in books and people talking god and the bible. By the age 18 I was in church full time and wanting to be a Pentecostal minister. I turned from this in my 20's and had many years of pain and guilt because of it, but I still did studies. You find that you start making up things on your own about god and god belief, what is and is not acceptable, and so forth. A few years ago I found I had went full circle and it's all imaginary. It's all made up. Today I am guilt free and have never felt more relief in my life. Today I know there is not a god wanting you to do anything. Of course, my parents had felt lost and they brought me into this because they didn't know what god wanted them to do. I've had issues with my parents most of my life but never any with this imaginary god because he is not real.

I really identify with the guilt free! It’s been freeing to not be in a constant state of not measuring up to the rules of religion.

I was constantly in guilt before. Why I married so young because I hated having to keep asking for forgiveness for having sex.

When I turned 40 is when I began to find my voice. Chart my own path. I have lost a lot of people along the way and have had no community of like minded people to converse with. Almost every person in my life identifies as a Christian.

@Fab I think the reasons you are giving are why so many remain believers and never come out atheist. It gives them a support base and local meetings they can go to often.

It never made much sense from as far back as I can remember. Even from primary school age I questioned all the suffering in the world, why were prayers unanswered, how did the Tower of Babel work, water into wine was a wine making kit etc etc

I really respect that you have always been a skeptic. I followed blindly for a long time. Was challenged by a new mentor and I began opening my eyes. I think my age had something to do with it too.

I can't pinpoint one specific moment, but I feel like I always knew it was all bullshit.
I was raised catholic. I think that tended to speed up the return to atheism more quickly
than perhaps another religion might have.
Catholics are notoriously hypocritical. Then I started to actually read the bible. By the time
I got through it, I was back to being the atheist I was born to be.

You were raised Catholic... were your parents devout?

@Fab Nope. They used to go to mass on Christmas and Easter, then they gave up that pretense, and just forced my sister and I to go every Sunday, by ourselves.
It didn't take long for me to figure out that all I had to do was show them the program from that day's service, and they were satisfied that we'd gone. I took the collection money and my sister and I had breakfast at Dunkin' Donuts across the street.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43246
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.