Agnostic.com

9 13

Head and Neck Injuries from Staring at Smartphones Sharply Increased

"People distracted by their cellphones are tripping, falling and hurting their heads and necks more often, with such injuries increasing “steeply” over a 20-year period, a new analysis has found.

"Most cases were mild, but some involved facial lacerations and traumatic brain injuries that could lead to long-term consequences, the authors warned.

"The study, published Thursday in JAMA Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery, is believed to be the first to investigate the role smartphones play in injuries to these parts of the body. Previous studies have found that all types of “distracted walking” injuries have been on the rise.

Dr. Boris Paskhover, a reconstructive surgeon and the lead author of the new paper, started looking into the statistics after seeing patients with broken jaws or facial wounds who would tell him they fell while staring at their phones and not paying attention to their surroundings.

I don’t think people are aware of how fragile we are as humans. We’re resilient, but we’re also fragile. You fall and you can get a pretty bad injury,” Paskhover an assistant professor in the department of otolaryngology, head and neck surgery, at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, told NBC News.

“You walk in the city and you see everyone just looking at their phones," he said. "Be aware that you can hurt yourself.”

[newsweek.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not surprised.

Obviously the government needs to ban walking, otherwise there could be a serious threat here to the digital media industries profits.

Irresponsible walking should be banned anyway, because it undermines the transport and petrochemical industries too.

There should be laws against walking while talking on your phone. Not only are these people a danger to themselves but to others too.

Do we really want more laws? Let selection take its course.

@PondartIncbendog If it was only that easy.

@Jolanta Just sneak up behind them and give em a push! That's easy.

@PondartIncbendog Yes, but there are far too many cameras around. What i do is when someone comes towards me engrossed on their phone. I wait until they are rather close and then I stamp my feet hard giving them a fright, then I smile sweetly.

It also causes neck pain because of bad posture.

Yes, I have also seen that. There is also about to be a world protest of 5g: [globalresearch.ca]

When I got my first cell phone I played solitair for hours and hours. My left forearm hurt for weeks. Today I take my glasses off so I can see the screen, and I get headaches.

Saw the story on tonight’s news. Pay attention to you surroundings at all times.

yes it is all to true

I can believe that. I see it a lot

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:435072
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.