Agnostic.com

15 12

Drunk driver hits power pole. Power outage for 500 people.

"Why did four lightbulbs burn out at once?" I wondered sleepily as I tried the bathroom light switch at 6:30 a.m.

NO POWER. Freezing and dark. Happy to have a hiking headlamp handy. (Love alliteration.)

"No electricity. No heat," I dramatically texted my friend Billie at 7 a.m. Much too early but this was a crisis. Hello, hypothermia. "Do you have heat? If yes, may I please come over?"

"By all means come over," Billie replied. The Public Utility District website said there was a pole accident at 2 a.m. They hoped to have power restored by 10:00 a.m.

Billie made coffee and breakfast. That was nice of her. I washed dishes while she showered.

"A 'pole accident' means some drunk guy crashed into a power pole," I told her. "Bars close at 2:00 a.m."

I was right. What a fiasco. I hope they throw the book at him.

[wenatcheeworld.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am surprised you were not better prepared for such a minor emergency? A few hours without power? In Alaska heat can be lifesaving in January... I can heat my house with my wood stove if necessary. I have plenty of winter clothing and a -40 arctic sleeping bag. I keep battery powered lighting handy and a crank radio, extra water, instant coffee, and soups too...

@FrostyJim

I spent over eight hours without power. You live in Alaska. Not me.

My down sleeping bag is in an outdoor shed with my camping and ski equipment. I thought about it. But it was deeply chilled.

It's dangerous to use a backpacking stove indoors. I cannot be around wood stoves. Smoke triggers my asthma.

@LiterateHiker - I always appreciate reminders like yours that show me how much I depend on modern technology for day to day survival. Thursday morning it was -4 F outside at my house and Sunday it might be near +40 F ? I just assumed that someone with your appreciation for safety and precaution on the trail would be prepared for such conditions at home also - loss of power for any reason is a real possibility any day - and you seem to have a good support group you can rely on when required such as having a neighbor you can share resources. Having a plan is always a good idea... My precautions are short term at best to get me through 1-3 days and your reminder shows me that you can never be too prepared - I always keep cold weather gear close inside and rely on state-local disaster relief in the case of a severe long term disaster - I live in earthquake and wildfire country so it is necessary to be prepared - and I can always do better.

@FrostyJim

We suffer from wildfires, too. I have a evacuation list handy.

The article’s not available in Europe, but am glad you had a warm bolt hole 😊

You're a "Grumpy Gus" at 07:00. 😆

@bigpawbullets

With the insulating capacity of a grasshopper, I was freezing.

I'm not a grumpy person.

Shit happens. It is called life.

When I had my bike accident last year someone ran into a pole on the mainland and knocked out power to information stations. No internet or cell phone coverage. There I was knocked out and bleeding on the street and no could dial 911. Luckily, a couple came by (so I was told) that knew me and said the fire station was about a mile away and went and notified them of the accident. When this happens all the Hams are alerted and they handle communications and called up the EMT and helicopter to come an get me.

@JackPedigo

What a scary story. Thank goodness people helped you.

@LiterateHiker We are called the 'Friendly Island' for a reason. lol

Thats a bummer about the power,,hopefully no one was hurt,,but good thing he will be off the road for a while,,Sorry about your inconvience ,but great you have good friends

Praise the boooze, I killed the lights... I killed the lights... I...

This guy needs treatment. He sounds like an addict,and is only 19.

Making the best of a bad situation.

A "Pole Accident" made me think something was wrong in Warsaw that affected your power grid... then I saw it wasn't capitalized that way.

Not enough Dodge

Wow, just 19 and stacking new charges upon old, $$, community damage, what? Times up, Punky, it's grow-up call!

From the article:
WENATCHEE — A 19-year-old Malaga man is accused of fleeing the scene after crashing into a utility pole with a stolen truck and knocking out power to 500 Chelan County PUD customers.

Wow. Unpleasant.

another interesting, and related article. [theguardian.com]

It is said, that the water industry does not sell water, but just plastic bottles to put it in. I know this from personal experience, since though I do buy far less than the 30 litres per year average, maybe 4 or 5, a bottle every couple of months. I do occasionally buy it, usually when caught out on a journey far from home. I do however reuse and refill the bottles for the tap until they fall apart.

I do not think that for most people the water quality issue is the big thing, it is just convienience, the worlds habits have changed. Once everyone carried a flask, but how often do you see that now ? Now everyone buys bottled water, or coffee in once use cups.

As for your little drunk buddy, throw him outside for two months, that should cool him down.

I went through six days of no power during a storm in 06. I had emergency equipment but the gen wouldn't start, the UPS would run and I could'nt leave town.
After that, I bought two thousand bucks worth of equipment and the power hasn't gone out since.
So, I guess it worked.

I went through ten days without electricity in the middle of summer after a hurricane. It was awful.

A few years ago I woke up to a freezing house. Went to relight the pilot and found out I was out of propane. I had to go an entire weekend without heat at the coldest weekend of the year. Pretty much spent the entire time in bed with my electric bed pad.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:435138
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.