Agnostic.com

16 5

Favorite Atheist/Agnostic songwriters/songs? As a kid, I loved Jethro Tull (several songs on this topic), XTC's "Dear God", and (of course) Lennon's "Imagine." More recently, They Might Be Giants "Here Comes the Science!" album is a favorite in our family! Leave your favorites below... let's discover new artists and songs!

Spooner 6 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Alive by Hypocrisy (Posted this previously but see the link no longer works. Lyrics in the video.)

Thanks everyone for sharing all the songs and artists. I had no idea this was out there!!!’n

"Destined for Nothing" by Bad Religion. It's the song that really made me question if I still belived, and it's one of a trio of things that got me to use the "A-word".

Love them! Saw them way back in the 90s at an "Acoustic Christmas" (oh the irony!) show!

@Spooner Man, that would have been fun, but I wasn't atheist yet 😉 I went through a big Bad Religion phase for a while, only finding them when I got into SoCal punk. I even have a copy of their prog-rock second album from the 80s.

Classic Tim Minchin

Never had seen this... thx!

Roger Waters "Perfect Sense"

Another new find for me, thx!

@ Spooner he has a collection of anti religious songs, on the album this song is off of "Amused to Death", there are several, What God Wants, It's a Miracle, I think him wanting to make these type of statements led to the break up of Pink Floyd, Gilmour just didn't get it.

@slinkie59 The rest of Floyd are (well, "were" )atheists as well, not just Waters. It's funny that Waters has this radical image, yet Gilmour is actually farther to the left. (Still prefer Waters, granted, but Gilmour deserves to win some of the narrative.)

Tim minchin

I love watching his YouTube performances. He recently moved back to Australia... this article really hit home to me as I'm strongly considering going back to the UK: [theguardian.com]

@Spooner as long as he food what he does, I'm sure he will get his message across!

Lennons " IMAGINE "

THIS is my favorite godless song! Definitely one of the finest works by one of the finest musicians!

Though not a musician, my favorite actor and narrator is Morgan Freeman

He's an awesome guy, and an atheist/agnostic. We should start a thread on film/TV stars who are atheists. Some of my faves are Ricky Gervais, Keira Knightley, Katherine Hepburn, and Julianne Moore... I'm sure there's someone I'm forgetting! (And probably a few more who are but aren't "out" yet!)

Billy Joel, "Only the Good Die Young". I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints; the sinners are much more fun...

I'd always loved this line (and song), but didn't know until I checked just now that he is an atheist! Now I like him even more! [cnn.com]

Yes he is. Go back through the lyrics of a lot of his songs and he's practically bragging about it!

Coporate Avenger, "The Bible Is Bullshit."

Another new find for me, thx!

@Spooner Yep.

David Bazan. His Curse Your Branches album was instrumental in my deconversion as well as Quiet Company's We Are All Where We Belong.

Thx for another new find!

Love this post. I have previously posted 9 songs which I tagged as #FreethoughtSong which express either an anti, questioning, or irreverent attitude toward religion, as well as tagging 3 posts by others with the same. Just hit the Discuss button at the top of the page, hit the search button to the right of the options bar which will appear, type in freethoughtsong, and be sure to check the search for tags box, OR, just click the link above I inserted. When I have more time I will definitely be listening to all the songs posted here, most of which so far I am unfamiliar with.

Thx! I'm going to go back to these older posts and hashtags and check out each and every artist/song I've never heard before. I've got a feeling this will take a week or more! I've already learned of several and have a dozen tabs open!

Jethro Tull and frank zapper are awesome

I was fortunate to see Zappa perform in Hollywood a few years before he passed. An incredible musician with a great and unique sense of humor!

Rush is pretty good:

Forgot about this classic!

That's what I was going to post...brilliant!

Though it isn't specifically an atheist song, I like Slobberbone's "Fuck You If You Don't Like Christmas." It pisses christians off so when I play it.

Yet another new find for me... thx!

There was a time when I had nothing to explain
Oh, this mess I have made
But then things got complicated
My innocence has all but faded
Oh, this mess I have made

And I don't believe in god
So I can't be saved
All alone as I've learned to be
In this mess I have made

All the untested virtue
The things I said I'd never do
Least of all to you
I know he's kind and true
I know that he is good to you
He'll never care for you more than I do

But I don't believe in love
So I can't be tamed
In this mess
I have made the same mistakes
Over and over again

There are rooms in this house that I don't open anymore
Dusty books of pictures on the floor
That she will never see
She'll never see that part of me
I want to be for her
What I could never be for you

But I don't believe in god
So I can't be saved
In this mess I have made

I'd heard some of their work before, but not this song... thx for the find!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43562
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.