Agnostic.com

21 5

Do you daydream?

Frequently through the day, I find myself daydreaming about a vast range of ideas, fantasies, and conversations.

It happens mostly when I'm doing some sort of manual labor, where it doesn't matter if my mind is wandering. In this way it is very useful in breaking up the tedium of whatever I'm doing, but I have experienced some drawbacks with my overactive imagination. When I was first learning to drive, I'd occasionally lose track of the road or my speed because I was dreaming of getting into an accident later down the road. Although, that problem has disappeared now that I've gotten over the stress of driving.

During Junior year of High School I was depressed, something I didn't like to admit because I dreaded being seen as an attention-seeker. I feel that my daydreaming exasperated the problem, as my fear and self-hatred could manifest in a waking nightmare. On the flip side, many of my daydreams would consist of conversations with myself, where I was able to partially work through my problems. I've avoided ever seeing a psychiatrist, again to avoid bringing validity or attention to my problems, but I'd often daydream of having a one-sided conversation with a psychiatrist anyway.

Has anyone else here had a similar or interesting experience with daydreams?

Sheitelhau 5 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not daydreaming but actual dreaming is what I look forward to.

Grade school teachers hate daydreamers, which as far as I'k concerned, makes it a good thing. 🙂

Daydreaming is where I get my ideas for stories and so on. It's your mind being creative.

Don\t worry about something you don't need to worry about. Daydreaming is a good thing.

Not in a long time.

I excel at daydreaming. It's the only thing that got me through a lot of boring classes. It's nightdreaming I have a lot of trouble with.

I daydream when I'm driving, or sometimes I'll replay a situation in my head and think about what I should have said or done.

Of course

I love daydreaming. You just have to get ahold of the mind so you're more in charge of the dreams. You can start by meditating. Counseling is not just some big admission that something is inherently wrong with you. It can also be viewed as a way to work on self improvement

I have anxiety, as such, I like to get outside of my brain. Daydreaming is almost an extension of that...how conversations night go, how an experience might play out...

When I was younger I used to daydream.

Mom used to say I was a daydreamer. It seemed a bit derogatory, but we didn't discuss it; maybe it was not. As I sit replying to this message, I ask, "Is the sentence in italics and the ones following it daydreaming?" I think it is analyzing a train of thought, and it is remarkably like what I did for 30+ years as a programmer. I'd write a line of code and analyze it to try to discover flaws. Was that daydreaming? According to the dictionary, "a state of dreamy meditation or fanciful musing." Oh, "dreamy meditation," does that include mindfulness meditation, or "fanciful musing," that sounds like rediculous thoughts. I had many rediculous thoughts while programming, but I called them bugs. As a child, I thought like a child; in other words, I was a daydreamer. But, one builds thinking skills while thinking childish thoughts. It wasn't a waste of time. Do I daydream now, yes, but a weather forecast is often a fanciful dream. I think I've confused everyone enough.

Isn't it amazing that all of us have that second or other voice we talk to. We even debate it and challege it. Who is it if not me, But here I am talking with it and seeing other points of view. All these voices come from the same organ,

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 26, 2018

All the time. I have rewind my shows often.

I daydream constantly. I know reality but deep inside I am a real Walter Mitty.

Constantly. I think it serves as a form of meditation for me. Especially if I'm stressed out.

I'm always daydreaming

I am constantly daydreaming. All my life I've done it the second I start to get bored. I day dreamed all through school, and now quite often at work. I have a very active imagination and get easily distracted by my own thoughts. It can be problematic, but people who know me know that it's not on purpose. I just sort of...drift away for a moment and come right back.

My ADD controls me with day dreaming.

How do you know you aren't sleeping right now?

I daydream a lot, as well as replay situations over and over ad nauseum. Social anxiety and the inability to relax... a lovely combination.

The best therapy I've ever had (not that I've had a lot) is daydreaming and self-conversations. I think I'm fairly well self-actualised, and I often surprise myself with insights just by talking to myself while I drive.

I can't stop from doing it. Ongoing dialog. Non-stop.

MikaB Level 5 Apr 3, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.