Agnostic.com

56 9

Are you attracted to people who are just comfortable being themselves from the start?

I'm trying to figure out if being too much myself on a first date is a bad thing or if I should treat dating like a job interview. Should I act better than I truly am?

paul1967 8 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (51 - 56)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course, no matter their details, age, sex, weight...whatever, it makes people around them more relaxed. Also, I am afraid of woman that wear a lot of make up, it is too bad many do not know how to wear it properly.

I haven't read all the previous posts on this one, but here's my recommendation: always be authentic, while at the same time, empathetic. Some may be attracted, right from the start, to edginess—saying the first thing that pops into one’s head, without considering the impact. While others may wonder why this person sitting across from them is always cutting them off, spouting an unsolicited opinion and appearing self-absorbed. First dates are indeed like an interview—only it goes both ways, and there’s no power dynamic (or at least, there shouldn’t be). Sometimes we see what we hope to see in others, while at other times we project what we think others want to see.

I am comfortable with a date being himself, however, now that I am old, the men that I have dated, who are my age have been quite an eye opening experience. For some reason, men my age seem to be absolutely obsessed with sex. From the first moments, they start asking me about how I feel about various aspects of sex. Never any getting to know each other, it's straight to sex. I wonder if they think it makes them feel young and virile, when all it does is make them seem like nasty old horn dogs. I guess I'm glad they are being themselves, because I find out that I don't want another date, right off the bat. I wonder why they act that way. I'm a very free thinking, tattooed, old pagan woman, but that doesn't mean that all I want to talk about is sex. It is very strange.

I must refer you to this sage advice from the past generations haha 😉

@Nickbeee Thanks for the advice. I will definitely consider it, if I ever have another man interested in me.

I think it's kind of funny as some men have moved on for sure @Wisewoman3 🙂 Though there is definitely wisdom there. I know quite a lot of men are still stuck in the 40's .... the 1340's

YES!!!! Be yourself.. The right person will accept that

i wished everyone would just be, without trying to appear as someone he/she is not. it makes for a more relaxed atmosphere, encouraging everyone else in the vicinity to unknot & just be genuinely imperfect.
ultimately what we all want is love, which became the reason for all the faking & pretense, trying to be our 'best'. but we are not, & it doesn't work that way; instead we all just become anxious. let's just all relax in our fallibility.

I'm a complete dork on dates because I get nervous and awkward. I laugh too much, I talk too much, I share way way too much, you get the idea. That sometimes gives off the impression that I'm more fun and outgoing than I naturally tend to be, but I don't purposely set out to mislead. I guess it's an over-exaggerated version of myself because, IRL, I spend a lot of time being quiet and keeping to myself but that makes for a very boring date.
The fact is, most of us have a variety of personality traits, so we are honestly never going to be totally ourselves at any given moment. I'd say, if you're trying to attract someone, be authentic, don't "act" like anything you're not, and, if you're nervous and awkward like me, don't be afraid to admit it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43641
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.