Agnostic.com

56 9

Are you attracted to people who are just comfortable being themselves from the start?

I'm trying to figure out if being too much myself on a first date is a bad thing or if I should treat dating like a job interview. Should I act better than I truly am?

paul1967 8 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Eh it depends on what you consider being you. Expressing honest opinion on an inflammatory topic or burping because you had a large meal... Are different things. I prefer honest interactions. It minimizes the time spent bullshitting

don't think. just be.

Never be anything but who you are, for anyone. It's not worth it. Eventually, you have to go back to being yourself. Then, you can be accused of lying about yourself.

If someone is comfortable with themself then I feel I can be myself. That is very attractive to me.

I feel it's human nature to be on your best behavior when you are getting to know someone. That makes sense to a certain degree. We all do it. For example, if you went on a date with someone, even though you have a mouth like a sailor you wouldn't drop f-bombs every 5 seconds, but once you got to know that person you (and she) would probably relax and you'd learn that she's got potty-mouth skills too. Also, if you date someone longer term and spend lots of time (or move in) together, he or she will eventually discover all of your "bad" habits (not putting the toilet seat down, born slob, other less than desirable habits). That's not to say you couldn't or wouldn't change all of that, or maybe you'd just clean up your act BECAUSE you met someone. That's cool. Hope this helps.

Honesty is always a very attractive trait

be yourself from jumpstreet

Popeye said it best. "I am what I am and it's all I can be!" I follow few protocols these days. I don't like to shave but do it every 8-9 days because I'm unable to grow a full beard. I played in the mud growing up and don't like to dress up. I'm severe casual and I've learned that being myself is the only way to attract someone who can deal with it. I place reality on the table and leave the choice up to them. I'm single. I have been for awhile. I love me and understand that I'm searching for someone very special because that's what it will take to bring me out of my shell. #introvert #turtle

I would rather be with someone who is comfortable being himself on a date than a pretentious phoney, or worse yet, someone with secrets to hide. Uneasy people make me uneasy.

Understood. I think I wrote my post poorly. I seemed to have lead people to believe I meant to lie or act like a phony. I just meant, things like do you dress better than you typically would or smile and laugh more than you would. Those kinds of innocent flirty things many people do. The reason I asked the question in the first place had more to do with developing from a first date into something more long term.

@paul1967 Guilty as charged. I do dress better on a first date than I normally would, and some of my more secret kinky fantasie and fetishes (both harmless and nonviolent) may not be revealed until the third or fourth date, when we are more intimate.

Great question. Confidence and humor are magnets for me and are much more important than what you wear. I love jeans, tennies and t-shirts, but to go out I would definitely upgrade from that. It would still be something I enjoy wearing and that represents me.

I think eventually, our true selves come out and if people don't like who we really are, would we want to be with that person? And, we should never concern ourselves about fitting someone else's standards for a date. If you're looking for something serious, ask yourself if you see that person with you in the future? When it's right, there will be no doubt!

You are not going to be the only person in the room. The other person would like to know that you were considerate enough to put your best foot forward, as they will most likely be doing. That said, you need to be yourself, but be the best version of yourself.

The only way to be is yourself. Let your true colors shine through. Honesty is always the best policy. If you don't, they you are lying to them and yourself.

No be yourself. The truth will always come out.

Yes. Confidence is extremely attractive.

Be honest. I'm not suggesting turning up to a date looking like "Johnny from The Shining" but be yourself.
That's only what you want from your date ?

especially if he IS (looking like) 'johnny from the shining' i insist that he be himself - so i can organise my immediate retreat 😀

Why do you want to pretend to be something that you're not ? That seems like that would be too much work for that.

As long as you are not hiding a nutjob personality beneath it all then yes, be yourself. Don't be pretentius.

especially the nutjob personality i want to see revealed from the get-go.

The short answer to your question is I would act somwhere in between. Here is a longer answer. Authenticity is very importantt o me. I also value social graces. I date with the plan of becoming long term best friends and lovers. With that said I want to be able to develop mutual trust, respect, admiration, and adoration with my partner. I will trust someone who constantly demonstrates honesty and sincerity. I will respect and admire someone who demonstrates qualities including intelligence, ambition, self confidence, prudence, humor, discretion, kindness, generosity, sharing, caring, charity, grace, forgiveness, wisdom, etc. You can't get someone to demonstrate all of this on a first date. However you can ask questions designed to reveal most of these qualities on a first date. If she reveals a lot of these qualities on a first date then i'll ask her for future dates. But if she utterly fails to gain my trust or respect on the first date then she is off the long term plan.

Confidence is extremely attractive to me. However, there is a fine line between confidence and being cocky.

I don't think you should fake being anything in order to get attention. Be yourself. Either that person likes you for you, or you find someone else that will.

I say, b yourself regardless. Anything else has negative results

Always be yourself. You'll know then if they like you the way you are.

If being yourself is somehow a bad thing, then figure out why, and work on that.

Do you!

Eventually you will wind up being you anyway, so why not do it from the get-go?

I haven't dated in 4-EVER, and I'm into men if I'm dating, but whenever I meet anyone, male ot female, my 1st goal is to make a genuine freind of them.

I'm gonna judge someone on if you would be good friend material ot not. You can keep freinds long term. If you go into a relationship trying to figure out if they are date material or not, many times you can miss out on some great friendships and hang-out buddies...something that we ALL need...

(I'm the type person that if you don't qualify to make it to the "friend-zone", you will NEVER make it to become a date!

I won't EVER date someone that I can't even be freinds with! Deeper feelings and more inclusive and less restrictive relationships can't be forced, but can evolve naturally from out of friendships.)

Personally, I kind of feel like I come off better on paper though, because I can collect and organize my thoughts.

When I show up in person I'm not shy, but I tend to keep my foot in my mouth a lot because when I say something, my thoughts aren't as organized and it doesn't come out sounding like I wanted it to.

I come out sometimes sounding a total goof-ball, but hopefully a likeable one. I'm sincere.

Donna Level 6 Mar 27, 2018

I don't get that. Who are you supposed to be, one the first, or secong or fifteenths date?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43641
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.