Agnostic.com

18 16

LINK Why We Need to Lose Religion to Save America

I doubt anyone on this site would disagree.

snytiger6 9 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We need to loose religion to save the entire planet not just America.

I don't think religion is going to work..

While this may be true, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Religion is embedded in our psyche. Religion walked out of the Serengeti with us when we left Africa. Religion has developed almost simultaneously worldwide even though we had no connection with each other. God isn't going to go away for a while... So, in the meantime, we look for better stories. We tell better myths. And we find an alternative to those who simply cannot imagine life without a god.

Not only America but the world

If we could lose religion we could also rid ourselves of sexism, racism, homophobia and transphobia, as these things are rooted in religion and the tradition of "religious values." I think it's a great idea, but so many people can't accept death and need religion to have "eternal life" ... Ugh. I can't imagine living forever with a sole purpose of "worshiping my creator." I really don't understand anyone who thinks this is desirable. ... Also, if the creator were not an egomaniac it would not desire (much less command) worship.

True it's pathetic and only a coping mechanism

I would so love for this Country and the World to be Void of Religions

Simply and truthfully and reasonably and logically and sanely...WE NEED TO LOSE RELIGION!

Every American is already 100% free to lose religion. Are you calling for prohibition?

@skado That thought never entered my mind. I find it a non-sequitur. Losing religion is coming about because a lot of people are thinking, They are thinking because they are free to think.

@think-beyond
What has freed them?

@skado Themselves. What freed you?

@think-beyond
I would say the availability of information, coupled with social permissiveness. Our brains are no more capable of thinking than were those of a thousand years ago, but they were not free to think what we are free to think. But my freedom has not brought me to believe we need to lose religion. Well, it did for a while, then I learned more.

@skado Nothing is black or white. While there are many good things concerning religion, those things are only good when in the hands of free thinkers. Otherwise, religion is a tool of control and not good for the planet. Birth control...denying climate change... creating a messianic way of life: blind following, etc. You have only to look at our fellow members to see so much hurt and damage caused by religion.

@think-beyond
That’s all true, and I agree, that iteration of religion needs to go, but when I hear people say we need to lose “religion” I have to speak up, because I don’t think it’s desirable, or even possible, to lose religion in its entirety. I think it serves an evolutionary purpose, and is in need of deep reform, but is necessary for our survival.

@skado I like your point. My limited visit to Buddhism interests me. Particularly Japanese Buddhism. It really is a wonderful approach to life and I have seen families raising their children within this Tao and I think it is effective character forming. All is all, the eastern approach offers a lot of wisdom.

"To slow the decay, many right-wing political and religious leaders and their followers are demanding a “return” to the foundation of American virtue, which they believe to be the Bible and Christian doctrine."

I can't help thinking the foundation of American virtue is a myth. Leaving that aside, American society is in a bad way. I see it as a crisis of meaning; meaning that used to keep some kind of lid on our worst excesses. The only alternative to religious values seems to be humanitarian but they seem to be just the province of educated upper middle class people.

We need to lose religion to save the world.

Religion is the root to all evil. The sooner it is gone, the better life will be.

Absolutely. States and even the Federal Government are passing laws that let children give wrong answers that must be counted as correct as long as it's part of their 'faith'. Not to mention all of the laws allowing medical personnel to refuse treatment to a person that is somehow religiously 'unfit'. This not religious freedom, this is religious domination. It's wrong and against everything the framers of our constitution stood for.

And when people speak out and stand up against these so called Christians they cry and whine that their religion is under attack when in fact it is they that are attacking the foundation of our Democracy.

@godlessness Precisely. Religious freedom is about being free to practice your own faith, not force it upon others. That's religious despotism.

I disagree. Religious liberty is NOT religious prohibition. Separation of church and state is NOT “losing religion”.

skado Level 9 Dec 11, 2019

Faith based 'reasoning' has been creeping into America since before it was founded. Theists are relentless -- it's part of their nature. So we atheists have to keep fighting back just as determinedly. The more decisions get made because of beliefs rather than evidence, the worse it gets.

An image from a comment at the link:

Additional: I point out that the changes from the image relate back to the 1950s red scare. Fear is a big theist motivation.

Both agree and disagree. There are a lot of reason's this and other developed countries are crashing and religion is only one albeit a large one.

we need to lose it to save the planet

I dislike pretty much Any 'ism"....unless it is Mind Your Own Business-ism.

Well said

America(the government, its constitution and constitutional amendment that it is in violation of )is the secret religion of the Masonic lodge secret religion racist devil worshippers since their freedom from England July 4th 1776.

"Beast" in the book of Revelations is metaphor for laws of government. Mark, as in give a mark for identification: mark of the beast means laws requiring identification for taxation and government control .

Written almost 2000 years ago in metaphor and riddles not always understood.

It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name. Revelations 13:16-17

The uneducated with no interest in mystical traditions and the esoteric may regard Ancient Egypt as little more than a place of pagan worship, strange hieroglyphics, and monuments erected by thousands of Hebrew slaves. But those more learned, especially those having undertaken the initiative rituals of Freemasonry, will see a link between the Egyptian metaphysical tradition and modern mystery schools, of which Freemasonry is one. [gaia.com]

Lord of host Lucifer the devil leading the Masonic lodge secret religion racist devil worshippers in the establishment of the mark of the beast 666 identification for taxation and government control.

Word Level 8 Dec 11, 2019

I agree, but don't see it happening anytime soon, if at all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:437160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.