Agnostic.com

11 29

Today's hike: "Here, Moosie, come!"

Today Karen and I walked five miles along Columbia River, hoping to see a locally famous, female moose. Many people photographed the moose in Horan Nature Reserve in Wenatchee, WA since September. It was bitterly cold and windy. Glad I wore a down jacket.

Two weeks ago, several people we talked to saw a male moose with her. He was spotted swimming across the Wenatchee River. We may have a baby moose next Spring!

Today the female was likely sleeping in brush. We didn't see her. Eagle-eyed Karen spotted fresh moose tracks in a sandbar in Wenatchee River and a sandy riverbank.

This photo of the female moose was taken by ranger Jose Velazquez, Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife in October 2019. She is about two years old, experts say.

A sign told us to be quiet around the giant eagle's nest. An eagle flew in, landing in the next.

We were at the confluence of the Wenatchee and Columbia rivers, a power spot for the Wenatchi Native American Tribe. They held potlatches there.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No moose here in N.Ireland....none in the U.K. at all. We Scots do call a mouse a “moose” or a “moosie” in the Scots vernacular...not quite the same thing though! You are very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world, both in landscape and wildlife.

You want to avoid moose. They tend to stomp on people for no apparent reason. Best to keep to higher ground (than the moose)

@snytiger6

I know that.

@LiterateHiker Good. I grew up on Southern California, and had no idea, until I read it about it in several different books. I think most people naively assumed as I did that they would just avoid humans. Just wanted to get the word out. Especially since I now live int eh Pacific Northwest.

I also tell new arrivals that the main channel in the Columbia River can be dangerous as the water on the surface flows slower than the water underneath, which creates an undertow and pulls people under. There are drownings every year, which I suspect are (mostly) because people don't realize what is happening and they panic. I myself just avoid swimming near the main channel.

So, anyway, I just try to help keep people safe.

Just don't get them riled! When I lived in Colorado, we had a lady who was out walking her dogs one morning; and her dogs scared up a Moose calf. Well, the calf's mom showed up. And boy, was she pissed! She chased the woman around a tree, stomping on her a few times, then sauntered back off into the bush, in indignant triumph.

@daveknight

There are "Moose in Area" signs posted: "Stay Back and Stay Safe."

Unfortunately, morons get too close to wild animals to get a good picture. They often pay with their lives. Natural selection at work.

@LiterateHiker Colorado doesn't post signs like that, because "officially", there aren't supposed to be any Moose there. These were 'illegal alien' Moose, who mosey down from Wyoming.

I hope youre planning to leave that whole area alone in thd spring if theres any chance of moose babies. Theres some great nature web cams tho.

@Burner

Unless the Wenatchee Forest District blocks off trails, it will never happen. People routinely go around gates and barriers. "Rules don't apply to me" is a common attitude, especially with dog owners who ignore leash laws and refuse to clean up their dog's poop.

[wta.org]

In the 1990's, the Chelan County PUD created 22 miles of shoreline trails and public parks along the Columbia River to pay back the City of Wenatchee for damming the Columbia River.

"The trail features an urban waterfront, as well as diverse natural habitats for wildlife in the area.

"The multi-use trail is well used by both recreators and commuters. Thousands of people use the trail each year, and it's accessible year round; even in winters with heavy snow, cross-country skiers and snowshoers love this route.

"Cross the Wenatchee River twice and the Columbia River once. Take particular note of the area where the Wenatchee River empties into the Columbia. There is riverfront beach access as it passes through several parks."

[wta.org]

@LiterateHiker i was only talking about you. I hope the fact that lots of other people do stupid things, isnt actually relevant.

@Burner

I know it is dangerous to get close to wild animals, especially their babies.

While hiking, one of the worst things is to get between a bear and its cub. A quick way to get killed.

@LiterateHiker wow i didnt know that

@Burner

Wildlife safety tips:

[bearfoottheory.com]

Beautiful pics you have taken,,beautiful nature ,5 mile hick is quite the accomplishment ,Nice to see lots of wild life or signs of it

@RoyMillar

Thank you!

Bullwinkle and Bullwinklette but where is Rocky the Squirrel? I am not short like Boris but who is tall Natasha there ? Dudley Do Right to the rescue save the maiden tied to the railroad tracks

Peabody and the WayBack Machine teaching us all TRUE HISTORY

@Larry68Feminist

I almost titled this post: "Here, Bullwinkle, Come!"

I have eagles and ospreys that fish in the river behind our home beavers that chop down my trees that are near the river. Lots of geese and turkeys. We see a rare dear in the garden but no really big game.

We have a far amount of Ospreys also ,they install lots of nest for them and their population is increasing

Cool! Great pictures, even the ones you didn’t take.

@BudFrank

I took every photo except the moose. Thanks.

Those are the kind of experiences to live for. It doesnt get any better than that.

Och aye, if that's a wee moose, how big are the cats.....LOL.

@Triphid

The female moose is about two years old, experts say.

We have elk herds, cougars and now wolves in North Central Washington. Hooray! We need large predators.

We have some rather very large Moose in Canada especially newfoundland

@RoyMillar Och so yea say, then what size 'moose traps' do you have for catching those wee mooses then. LOL.
Or should that be wee meeses then....LOL

@Triphid,, lol no moose traps ,but one does have to be on the look out for them as they will total your car if you get hit and lots of fatalitys each year from them also unfortuneatly

@RoyMillar Yeah I'd reckon they'd do a fair bit of damage.
Our Aussie 'Bush Chooks' ( slang for Emus btw) can take a pretty hefty toll on cars and trucks as well when you hit them, not quite as much damage as a big muscly Red Kangaroo does but they still disable most vehicles if front on, the radiators usually cop the brunt and burst open before they get pushed back on the cooling fan.
A 'roo, on the other hand, doesn't stop with radiator and cooling fans, it can crush the entire front panels of the vehicle and many a family car has actually had the engine torn from its mounts and driven back into the firewall, the body of the 'roo will keep on going, shatter the windscreen, crush the leading edge of the cabin roof before bouncing along the rest of the roof and flying off the rear of the vehicle.
Out here most road-wise heavy Truckies will do their darnedest to avoid hitting a Bush Chook or a 'roo at all costs.

@triphid ,WOW i hear you on that as why one does not want to hit one,,but with the moose and their long tall legs ,when you hit them ,thier body is usuallyat or above your engine hood height and they will come right thru the vehicle and with your seat belt on you can not duck down in time ,so a lot of people are killed that way plus deer sometimes come right thru the windhield also One has to drive with caution but sometimes they just run across the road from no where and one has no chance t all avoiding them

@RoyMillar Yeah, 'roos seem to have a nighttime 'game' of what we call out here " Headlights Chicken," i.e. they see two car headlights coming towards them and see if they can fit in between the two lights," or they'll suddenly decide to just hop out into the middle of the road and stand there like some demented Traffic Cop.
Sheep are even worse, but what else can one expect from sheep, there can be 10 or more sheep happily grazing on one side of the road and 2 or 3 on the opposite side, they hear a vehicle coming closer and they'll suddenly decide to swap sides usually with a few that will stand in the middle and seem to have a 'debate' about whether or not to left or right.
Emus, on the other hand, see the shiny vehicle, or headlights at night, and run, on mass, straight at it, you hit them and the next thing is cloud of feathers, blood, guts, meat and Emu shit exploding everywhere around you, IF you've survived the initial impact that is.

@Triphid WOW..some interesting insights from down under,Thanks for sharing

@RoyMillar No probs my friend, if you ever travel the outback roads in Australia remember to keep an eye out at ALL times for Bush Chooks, 'roos, sheep, feral goats, camels, etc, and NEVER run over a snake, those little buggers DO often wind themselves around the axles or anything else under the vehicle and just wait until you stop before they come out and let you know that they are there with a nasty, venomous bite to anything they can reach.

What a wonderful place. I love nature. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:437961
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.