Agnostic.com

6 4

QUESTION Fifty psychological and psychiatric terms to avoid: a list of inaccurate, misleading, misused, ambiguous, and logically confused words and phrases

Although jargon has a crucial place in these fields, it must be used with care, as the imprecise use of terminology can engender conceptual confusion. ... Clear writing fosters clear thinking, and confused writing fosters confused thinking. In the words of author McCullough (2002), “Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That’s why it’s so hard.”

evestrat 8 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very informative, thank you!

True, that.

VERY informative. Thanks.

One notion that this article exposes is that there has been a rise in mental health issues. In my opinion, this is probably due merely to awareness of conditions that have always been there but not recognized.

godef Level 7 Mar 26, 2018

I always ask someone to tell me what they mean in plain language when doing an interview and they start using psychiatric jargon. It is often enlightening

Great link. But aren't you being a bit paranoid? 😉

Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43799
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.