Agnostic.com

8 0

Happiness

Do you think Atheists are happier than religious people? I know I'm happier since I seen the light and did away with the bs of god and religion. I hope you are to.

freedom41 9 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been a non believer nearly all my life so there is no comparison for me.

Yup. At least, I sure am.

I don't think I'm any more or less happy as an atheist than when I was a theist. Some things are different, of course, but my overall mood hasn't really changed as a result.

I am super hapy because I carry no guilt and or fear over how I live my life.

" ... 40% of highly religious U.S. adults describe themselves as “very happy,” compared with 29% of those who are less religious"

PEW Research 2016
[pewforum.org]

cava Level 7 Mar 26, 2018

That might be misleading, though, because it may be that people who are naturally happier are more readily religious, and those who are less content by nature tend to be less religious. There may be a causal relationship buried in there somewhere.

@resserts Agnostics and atheists are statiscally higher IQ than the general population, which also makes them more aware of societal and environmental issues, and more likely to be activists. Also they are less likely to gorge on junk food and watch junk TV all day, as most people do, which seems to keep them happy.

If unnecessary guilt comes under the heading of unhappy I would say atheists are happier in that regard. That said, delusion can make a person unjustifiably happy. I think atheists are largely people who can be happy or sad and do so without the aid of imaginary reasons. A few on here have given me a subtle hard time for saying meditation helps keep my emotions in check, one guy offered to have me babysit, (thanks I have 3 of my own) but simply if you have the tools and make an effort to be accepting of how things are you can lesson the swing of emotions a bit, you never stop being human, it’s truly just a tool and not a panacea. Now I have also found atheists on here treating nonbelief as a religion, they seem still to struggle with accepting reality and are looking for a replacement to religion, they may find happiness more elusive. I prefer not to call the religious morons, I prefer misguided, once you insult someone they are gonna dig their heals in and the chance of them changing is I’m sure greatly diminished.

My data is corrupted, I only attract the crazy ones

Inever liked the sentiment 'My god is better than your god." That is what I felt socializing in a group comparable CYO in a Jewish group. My best friend was Puerto Rican and when I brought her to a dance and she wasn't welcome we both hightailed it out of there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43904
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.