Agnostic.com

57 13

Why Some Men Still Dress Like They’re 16

This article is interesting.

When I visited Alaska, on the street it seemed all of the men wore dirty jeans, a flannel shirt, baseball cap, leather belt, large belt buckle, dirty boots, scraggly ponytail and beard. Ugh.

They wanted to be seen as rugged individualists. Instead they looked like a school of fish.

I love a well-groomed man. How hard is it to wear khaki pants and a nice shirt on a first date?

[slate.com]

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

57 comments (51 - 57)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nix the perfume. Especially the Calvin Klein One. It put me in the hospital. What are you trying to cover up anyway. Fresh soap & water is good. Your natural odor will reveal your diet, meds you are on, diseases on the horizon etc........ to some women. But then thank fully I am not in the market any longer & have a servant who goes into town for me. Thusly if I wish to meet men I go to the hardware type stores & flirt with them in the tool section. Slim pick'ins. Lately.

I'd post a photo in my oldest jeans and tattered flannel shirt, except, meh.

How hard is it to wear khaki pants and a nice shirt on a first date?

I look terrible in khakis, so very, very difficult. I get all self conscious and stressed out, and no one has any fun. 😟 Nice shirts are easy, though.

First date with my wife I wore jeans and a tee, so did she - but they were tee's that actually meant something to both of us.

I like my beard and my wife loves it. I don't tell her what to shave and I get the same courtesy back from her. But a manitail? No thanks.

1of5 Level 8 Dec 17, 2019

@Shawappa44820 I'm not gonna slam her for doing what the majority of men do all the time: Size up a group of the other sex as potential dates. Ok, lots of women do that too, but at least the literate one is honest about it. 😉

She's determined enough and putting in the effort, so i imagine she would go out on a first date with them, if she had contact with them and was interested in learning more about them. I sometimes think that's her approach - volume - to roll the dice as many times as possible to hit the jackpot. As valid an approach as any other and fits with her background in marketing. Just a vastly different approach than I'd use.

@Shawappa44820 then, in a way, yes. She's seriously determined. I value my health waaaaay to much too get in her way on this. 😉

The rules for what men and women get judged on are so fucked up and hypocritical.

@1of5

Pressed gabardine pants look good. Dark colors are slimming.

@LiterateHiker pressed? The don't come in wrinkle free?

@1of5

Look it up. I don't know.

Instead I wear skirts and dresses, aiming for simple elegance. With a long torso, jeans give me a wedgie.

Don't get me started on low waistlines! As slim as I am, they give me the dreaded "muffin top." Ridiculous.

@LiterateHiker can't, I kinda painted myself into a corner on pants. Both Sunday and Monday I had to go back to places we'd been to get my wifes purse, all the while extoling the virtues of cargo pants being able to carry everything one needs without being able to forget it.

It's going to be 2 shopping cycles before I dare buy anything besides cargo pants - otherwise I'll need to get a matching purse and end up losing all my stuff when I leave it somewhere. 🙂

Amen. I was not raised by my father but you know how I was raised? From the moment I attended First Grade... I received for xmas party and for end of school year party... a whole ensemble from shoes, socks, suit, shirt, tie. Up to this day I own over 20 pairs of shoes, over 40 ties, suits, sport jackets, dress shirts. I am retired, I have no reason to own the wardrobe I got other than that is how I was raised. Even on my college days when I dressed like a hippie... come the weekend and the venue was a disco... I will wear Givenchy, Pier Cardin, Yves St Laurent suits, expensive shoes... I used my scholarship money in Elegant Suits. I will always going to be grateful to my parents for creating that line of thought in me. I bypass any fashion that do not cater the Gentleman in me. I am proud of being Old Fashion. I Dress for the Ladies because I Respect a Well Dressed Lady and I know that is a Lady that will Appreciate how I Dress for Her. I Love Beautiful Women, I learned early on my teens that in my culture... even if you don't have money, despite not being handsome if you can Dress or if you can Dance you can have that beautiful woman you want by your side... at 66 that is still a True Statement. You can bet your last nickel that I Dress and I Dance and because of that... my life story is full of well groomed ladies that appreciated how I carried myself. True Romance is two way street or in other words... Quid Pro Quo after all... Amen.

because they still act like they are 16?

blzjz Level 7 Dec 17, 2019

In general, American men have a poor sense of fashion. The common look is often a form of lowest common denominator thinking.

No taste

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 17, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:439190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.