Agnostic.com

15 7

Are there any Atheist writers on here?

I’m looking for a good writing group to help me hone my stories, and writing style; I’d also love the support. I’m also black—it matters, especially when you’re a minority within a minority—is there something already here for me or should I start something here?

KayaSummerland 4 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not sure if I can be called a writer but I do often compose poetry from time to time and am also working on a book, that when completed, will be entitled " Creating Your Own God- A Handy Guide for Dummies."

Yes. I have one novel and several short pieces of flash fiction, mostly of the sci-fi genre.

I'm an atheist but not a writer. We need all the writers we can get. 'A' pride!

I can assist you and yes, there is a writing group on here: [agnostic.com]

i am an atheist and i am a writer. i don't know if that makes me an atheist writer lol.

i charge for my editing services but i wish you luck!

i have not seen anything about specifically minority writing so if you have stuff to share, go for it! and again, good luck!

g

I’m writing fiction that questions the manipulation of beings and figures as interpreted in the Bible; if they were real. So I assume that makes me an agnostic writer lol; though I suppose it would be grouped based on if it actually is a facet of the works themselves?

@KayaSummerland if you're writing fiction you can still call yourself an atheist lol

g

@KayaSummerland Well was not the entire Goat-Herders Guide to the Galaxy merely a work of fiction anyway?
Ergo, since you say your ARE an Atheist and are writing a book then you are an Atheist Writer are you not?

@Triphid But i don't write atheists. I write all kinds of stuff. I mean i hate celery but i do not define myself as a celery-hating writer. That makes it sound as if there is a connection between my celery-hating and my writing.

g

@genessa Hey, I hate chilis but I don't write about them either but I do write/compose poetry and am an Atheist so as an Atheist and a Poet in can call myself an Atheist Poet if I wish vice versa IF I were Christian and a Poet I could then call myself a Christian Poet not that day nor title would ever happen thankfully.

@Triphid Nor for me. But if that horrid thing happened to me i would still not call myself a christian writer unless i was writing from a christian perspective. This is sort of like how some musicians happen to be christian but they don't play christian music, and they call themselves christians if asked, and musicians whether asked or not, but not christian musicians, whereas musicians who play that particularly vile, insidious aural travesty called christian music (you know what i mean -- not church music but the drivel they play on christian radio) do call themselves christian musicians. Sort of like that.

g

@genessa Ah, but one can write from a 'Christian' perspective and still not a Christian, just as there those who can write from the Ancient Roman perspective, for example, and are most definitely not Ancient Romans,

@Triphid Yah but i think you know that wasn't what i was talking about.

g

@genessa Yeah I know and may Fate, Destiny and whatever else always stand at my side and help repel off any temptations that religions may seek to place in my way and may they do the same for you.

@Triphid amen, if i may use the term lol

g

@genessa You, my friend are as welcome to utilize it when and where ever you so desire, just as are any others here on this site.

@Triphid 🙂)

g

I like to think that I can write... I'm an atheist trans lesbian, and I write poetry and verse occasionally. I've tried to write what I originally envisioned as short stories quite a few times; but either I got stuck at some point, or life got in the way. I DO have a blog, which I haven't written in for a bit (life getting in the way again...) [findtheunchartedpath.wordpress.com]

You might search the "Groups" section for writers. I know there is at least one writers group on this site.

I hope you connect with some good, supportive fellow writers! I’ve been a professional writer/editor for many years, but more on the journalistic/technical side, though I can’t help writing satire now and then. One bit of Holiday Advice I’d like to share: Try to learn from writers who are different from you, and maybe use their words differently. When I occasionally write poetry, I can see how my training as a journalist taught me some discipline and to weigh the contribution of every word I choose. Also, it’s useful to edit the works of someone else from time to time.You might find bits of yourself in their words. I wish you the best of luck!

Just curious, when you say more on the journalist/technical side, what do you mean?

@KayaSummerland Hey Kaya: Most of my work is as a freelance editor and writer, and I am hired to edit everything from magazine articles and book chapters, to term papers (edit, NOT "ghostwrite" ). English is my second language, which I learned as a kid (spoke Polish at home), and I'm pretty good at editing English written by other folks who also learned it as a second language. Oddly enough, I'm really good with folks who grew up speaking Mandarin Chinese and Mexican Spanish! Go figure. My writing also is varied, from newspaper articles to working with non-profit organizations to craft mission and vision statements; creating press releases and position papers for advocacy organizations (I work a lot with disabilities and mental health advocates); designing workshops and educational materials and more. Knowing how to communicate well can be a key to open a lot of different, weird and interesting doors, and I definitely use it to explore! (Oh, yeah: It's ALL creative if you do it right!) Hope to read your work some day.

I am a published poet and have co-authored technical publications in archaeology. I have written two plays, with one produced at the local repertory level.

There are some accomplished and skilled writers (I am not so bold as to include myself in this category) on this site. Search the grouos).

i don’t really do groups, but i’m an atheist writer if you ever want to chat. and if it matters, while i can’t relate on being a racial minority specifically, i am trans and gay.

Pleasure to meet you, Kaya! What color would you say your spirit is? How about your soul or your conscience? -- john-henry

Interesting question, though I’m not quite sure I follow. Social cues are difficult for me; what do you mean?

@KayaSummerland:

Do you identify with the spirituality, soul-searching and conscience of any particular group or culture?

j-h

From an agnostic style perspective, it could never be known wheither or not there are any illogical atheist writers on here.

Word Level 8 Dec 22, 2019

Not me

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 22, 2019

I'm an atheist, a published book author and columnist.

I suggest you contact your public library and ask about writing groups.

Oh, I’d never have thought of that! That’s new, I’m not much for in person gatherings but I’m willing to give it a try!

The best way to keep up with the growth of this site is to search the groups listed or to do a search on "writer" and read responses on others gave. Good luck. There's a bit of everything here except a belief in god.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:440927
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.