Agnostic.com

8 14

Use fresh ingredients when baking. Boy, did I screw up!

Today I mixed the dough for chewy Peppermint Mocha Cookies. The recipe called for instant coffee or coffee granules. The only instant coffee I had was from a backpacking trip in 2015. Instant Starbucks coffee, it was sealed in colorful little packets.

Once wet ingredients hit the dry, the dough smelled and tasted vile. The coffee was spoiled.

If the dough tastes bad, the cookies will, too.

Disappointed, I scraped the ruined cookie dough into the garbage. Washed mixing bowls and measuring spoons. Started fresh with new dough. This time, I left out the coffee.

Photo: Freshly baked Chocolate Peppermint Cookies. Yum!

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Kate says, "Before you comment tell her you have to have a sample." I am gaining weight as I type.

Always love hearing how it actually was ,makes the story more interesting and the Person Literate Hiker real and personable ,One has to laugh at there own errors in order that others can truely appreciate it and they do look delicious

@RoyMillar

I hated to waste one cup of Ghirardelli, semi-sweet chocolate chips!

While butter was softening, I ran out to give gifts to friends. And buy more chocolate chips.

@LiterateHiker. I have that same feeling about waste Just the way we were brought up

Finally, a chink in your armor! I was starting to think you were perfect! 😝 How refreshing to discover that you're human 😯😊 the cookies look delicious 😅

@Cutiebeauty

Hilarious! Thanks for your funny comment. Still smiling.

Hugs, Kathleen

Ok. There I was. It was close to midnight. I was watching one of the scariest horror movies I had ever seen.
All of a sudden,,,,,,,I WAS HUNGRY!!
Sooo, I went into the kitchen and proceeded to bake me a chocolate cake.
As I broke the first egg into the mix, it begin to turn blood red! Scared the crap out of me. As I stirred, it continued to turn red. I poured it in the pan quickly and stuck it in the oven, perhaps to destroy the demon that inhabited it.
I went in to watch the movie. I kept looking into the kitchen as if there were someone there.
Tic,tic,tic,,,,,,finally the buzzer went off. I cautiously went into the kitchen. Got a large knife.
Opened the door to the oven and stabbed the cake! But it wasn't done!
So I baked it another hour. Then it was finally dead. I took it outside and buried it in a shallow grave. Then I discovered the mix was Ruby Red.
I visit once in awhile.

You look rather slim, and fantastic, for a cookies diet. LOL. I got out to fitness yesterday- about time. I will be at my optimal weight if I lose 20 pounds. I eat mostly veggies. I hate the cleanup. Your cookies look great.

@Diogenes

Thank you for your compliment. Portion control, baby!

Only made 20 cookies. Will send 90% home with my daughter and her husband.

They are hosting another couple. The cookies will be gone in a flash.

@LiterateHiker I take 'it', the compliments, all back- you are a mean woman, trying to make your daughter and man fat. Please laugh!

You must be doing a lot right; you are slim. And a little sinin' makes life worth living.

on the bright side, they still look pretty good lol

@Sarcasm

Read my post.

I scraped the spoiled cookie dough into the garbage. Washed bowls and measuring spoons.

Then started over with fresh ingredients. This time, I left out the coffee.

The photo shows cookies baked with fresh ingredients.

@LiterateHiker oh lmao, well then the new ones look good is what i meant

Those are beautiful! I'm not really crazy about chocolate, but with the peppermint I'm sure they are incredibly yummy.

@tinkercreek

Thank you. The cookies are delicious.

I wonder what ground coffee would have done. Years ago I had a coffee farm in Kona, Hawaii. The kids and I would chew the cherry just to break the skin. The slimy part just under the skin was sweet and had a mild caffine effect.

@rugueflyer

Interesting question.

Instant coffee dissolves in liquids. I don't think ground coffee beans would dissolve in cookie dough. Don't think it would work.

@LiterateHiker You might want to grind the beans to a powder if you have a coffee grinder. If not a pestle and mortar might work. My only addiction is coffee.

@LiterateHiker A lesser known fact is that Vietnam is the second largest producer of coffee beans in the world. Copied from Investopedia, Vietnam found a niche in the international market by focusing primarily on the less-expensive robusta bean. Robusta beans can have up to twice the caffeine as arabica beans. Gotta love that caffeine!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:441365
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.